Puffer Suggestions for 55 gallon marine tank

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
The Real Puff Shady
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Puffer Suggestions for 55 gallon marine tank

Post by The Real Puff Shady »

Hello all.

I'm relatively new to puffers. I have a cycled 20 gallon FW tank, and was in the process of setting up a 55 gallon full SW to transition a GSP to.

Well, my most recent GSP just died from a worm infestation, and he was the last at my LFS for now. So we are back at square one. I'm not sure if I want to try the GSP route again.

The plan is to get the 55 finished cycling and go from there, clean slate.

Any suggestions for a relatively easy to aquire puffer for a 55 gal full marine tank? (The goal is FOWLR. No intentions for a reef or anemones at this point BTW, but I'm open to ideas.)
The Real Puff Shady
Puffer Fry

Re: Puffer Suggestions for 55 gallon marine tank

I'll add on here that while I've been waiting for a reply I've been doing a lot of research, and the Tobies (Canthigaster puffers) are looking like promising candidates. Any advise of narrowing down that group would be great. I know puffers can range from a bit nippy to downright nightmares to their tank mates, as well as have their own personalities, but anything that can "generally" be expected to be on the friendlier end of the spectrum would be awesome.

Thanks.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hi, I just wanted to respond so you can feel like nobody cared. I'm leaving today from Florida to go back to South Carolina and I will be able to message you tomorrow about your choices
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
The Real Puff Shady
Puffer Fry

Pufferpunk wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am Hi, I just wanted to respond so you can feel like nobody cared. I'm leaving today from Florida to go back to South Carolina and I will be able to message you tomorrow about your choices
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. There's plenty of time since the tank is brand new and I still need to add the sand and live rock to get the bio filter going. Right now it's just a box of salty water.

Looking forward to the advice. Safe travels!