Live Clams - farmed for human consumption

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
JennJenn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Live Clams - farmed for human consumption

Post by JennJenn »

If I pick a couple of these up from the grocery store. Fresh alive from the tank there. Can I bring them home and just drop them in my puffer tank? Give them something to arouse interest. Different to eat.

Should all shell fish be frozen then thawed and then offered?

Thank you for your advice.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Live Clams - farmed for human consumption

Post by Pufferpunk »

Even for human consumption, they'd be cooked before eating, which would kill off parasites. Since we don't feed our fish cooked food, freezing is the next best option. Or QT for at least a month.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JennJenn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: Live Clams - farmed for human consumption

Post by JennJenn »

So to be completely safe I should freeze everything raw for a week or 2 at least, thaw then try & feed. I'm reading that their main diet should consist of snails. Offer other things maybe once or twice a week only. I also read that live fish can be offered but not often.

Would you say the safest route would be to keep my own live bearers so that I can ensure their health? Would you recommend guppies, platys or mollies? Or should I keep all 3 for variance?

I've never kept any of them as I did not want to be over run with unwanted fish. They are all prolific breeders. I'm not in this to sell fish and make money from them. I do it be cause I love it. I find it therapeutic and love to learn and read about keeping different species of fish and plants. I find it very gratifying when everything goes well.

My fish I usually choose based on their behaviour, mating rituals. They are so much fun to watch.