Leopard frog tankmates?

Tell us about your other furry, winged or scaley friends!
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Three Amazon puffers (Colomesus asellus):
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United States

Leopard frog tankmates?

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Hi all,
I am planning on setting up a 20g-long leopard frog tank from a tadpole kit I recently got, and was just wondering what other things can go with them. I was thinking about guppies, since they breed faster than the frogs might catch them, but I otherwise can’t think of another aquatic animal that the frogs won’t try to devour. Any thoughts? Just want to know before I order the tadpole!!
Thanks!
Last edited by SAPpyPuffer on Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Re: Leopard frog tankmates?

Post by eieio »

I'd suggest that you get some valid advice from someone experienced with these amphibians as far as stocking, necessary space, territory, feeding, humidity levels, ventilation, temperatures, water quality, potential health problems................
Avoid the mistakes that you are making with your other aquarium.
Sometimes it takes years of experience to learn to steer away from cramming a bunch of small animals into a confined space, but trust me, it's never a good thing to do.
You have the opportunity to take advantage of others' experience in these matters, I urge you to do so.
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
eieio
Mbu Puffer
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"

Post by eieio »

http://amphibiancare.com/2006/05/22/leopard-frogs/
I'd further research the info in this link, but just wanted you to realize that there's more to keeping these animals than just expecting them to have any kind of life in a small tank full of water.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Agreed!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Thanks! I have plenty of experience with pets, and wasn’t planning on getting the frog any time soon, and have already done plenty of research towards the matter. The tank I’m getting is more than enough space for one frog. Anything I do when it comes to pets involves extensive research. I was just asking out of curiosity.
Last edited by SAPpyPuffer on Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

I never haphazardly do anything. If a betta’s recommended tank size is 5g, I’ll push for 30. I never like to have any animal in something not suited for them. Thanks for the link! I know most of the care, but I just need to find out what else could work, besides what I’m doing.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"

Post by eieio »

SAPpyPuffer wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:59 pm Thanks! I have plenty of experience with pets, and wasn’t planning on getting the frog any time soon, and have already done plenty of research towards the matter. The tank I’m getting is more than enough space for one frog. Anything I do when it comes to pets involves extensive research. I was just asking out of curiosity.
You already said you have a tadpole kit, so why are you now saying that you're not planning "on getting the frog anytime soon"?
The custom here at TPF is that "It's all about the fish".
That goes for ANY living creature.
Too bad if you take this negatively, but you keep contradicting what you say.
If you had done your research, you would know that a leopard frog needs a semi-aquatic environment, and that a 20g long tank is not nearly big enough to provide that.
I don't have the time to help people that don't acknowledge the answers to questions that they ask, whether out of curiosity or otherwise.
Maybe somebody else does.
If you're serious, we're here to help.
Otherwise, lotsa luck.
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

eieio wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 pm you keep contradicting what you say.
If you had done your research, you would know that a leopard frog needs a semi-aquatic environment, and that a 20g long tank is not nearly big enough to provide that.
I am fully aware that leopard frogs are semi-aquatic, and am also aware that this is about fish, seeings it is called the puffer forum. A 20g long is more than enough for one leopard frog, but hey, who did months of research? I don’t think you quite realize that I’m not a beginner at this, and that the only thing I’m contradicting is your misunderstanding. Please understand that I am waiting to order the tadpole so that I can do the research. I haven’t even gotten the tank yet or the tadpole. I was asking people with experience for advice, not for someone’s criticism. And yes, I am serious.

If there is anyone who actually owns leopard frogs, I was only asking about any experiences with them and recommendations.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"

Post by eieio »

SAPpyPuffer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:15 pm
eieio wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:27 pm you keep contradicting what you say.
I am fully aware that leopard frogs are semi-aquatic, and am also aware that this is about fish, seeings it is called the puffer forum. A 20g long is more than enough for one leopard frog, but hey, who did months of research? I don’t think you quite realize that I’m not a beginner at this, and that the only thing I’m contradicting is your misunderstanding. Please understand that I am waiting to order the tadpole so that I can do the research. I haven’t even gotten the tank yet or the tadpole. I was asking people with experience for advice, not for someone’s criticism. And yes, I am serious.

If there is anyone who actually owns leopard frogs, I was only asking about any experiences with them and recommendations.
"I am planning on setting up a 20g-long leopard frog tank from a tadpole kit I recently got"

There's no misunderstanding on this end, but you seem to be confused.
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Tadpole KIT!
There’s no misunderstanding or confusion on my end.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. A tadpole kit gives you a certificate to order a tadpole, which you’d grow.
Did you think that the tadpole just came with the kit, waiting in the sealed box to be bought?
Now, to avoid any other confusion and get to the original topic, all I wanted was information from experienced people on leopard frog tankmates, i.e. fish.
Thanks for your input. Maybe you should stick to puffers.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I have kept leopard frogs & probably a couple of dozen other species. What you do need to realize is how far they JUMP. It just wouldn't be fair to have the poor thing constantly crashing into the glass, which would damage & eventually cause its demise.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Thanks! I have also read about their jumping, which is actually the only reason I haven’t bought the particular tank yet. As far as the glass goes, which I’ve read could be problematic, would a terrarium background work out? I am a beginner to frog keeping (besides ADFs and ACFs), and do want to make sure I’m doing everything right.
What type of tank did you keep them in?
Thanks a tons!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I had a 55g paludarium.

SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

I definitely will look further into the tank size. How many frogs did you have? The kit has a certificate for 1 free frog, but I might get another just for company. Did you keep the frog with anything else?
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Also, what were the dimensions?