Many fishes and a cat

Tell us about your other furry, winged or scaley friends!
carolynn
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Many fishes and a cat

Post by carolynn »

I started out years ago with a beta,who only lived a couple of years and then started a guppy tank, I still have some I don't know what generation of guppies, I add fresh genes every once in awhile, they live with my many bristlenose plecos and their babies, two clown plecos, I also have a peppermint pleco male and an unknown bristlenose pleco. I have some fantail goldfish 3 in a large 60 G so they can grown and swim a lot which they do and a Rhino pleco, and a Cat(feline) :lol: . It's amazing but with the help of my children every one has a name!
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: Many fishes and a cat

Post by sgtmyers88 »

[welcome] :)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

What's a peppermint pleco?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
carolynn
Puffer Fry

Post by carolynn »

A Peppermint pleco is an L181, a larger sized bristlenose pleco, with little tiny white spots-kind of like stars often confused with a starlight/L182. They are called pepermint pleco in the UK, eastern Canada and in many parts of the USA, its the common name most people know them by.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I bought this one as a "Fathead" but knew it wasn't, since it's got the white spots & trim. I'm pretty sure it's not a "Starlight", as the site says: http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/pl ... 100065.asp
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

carolynn
Puffer Fry

Post by carolynn »

Does your pleco have a stripe on his tail still and what age is he/she?
carolynn
Puffer Fry

Post by carolynn »

Starlights will tend to keep their stripe and spots/ may be more circular and larger/ either white or orange, the peppermint will generally loose most of the tail stripe, maybe retain a small sliver and the spots are more like pinpoint white circular flecks/ of course-both subspecies have-hence the cunfusion The peppermint has a larger head- very broad, like a medusa pleco almost, I will try and look for a decent pic of mine- the eyes are a navy blueish and the background color is dark brown-black. Mine is 2-3 years old -full gorwn as these guys mature slower than smaller plecs and about 8 inches long- very good at algae cleaning/glass/ plants just like any ancistrus/bristlenose. Hope that helps with the Id of yours.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I bought this one as a "Fathead" but knew it wasn't, since it's got the white spots & trim. I'm pretty sure it's not a "Starlight", as the site says: http://www.aquariumlife.net/profiles/pl ... 100065.asp

carolynn
Puffer Fry

Post by carolynn »

Well if he looks like the pic on the link- that's a nice looking fish...jealous:)