Cat Food

Tell us about your other furry, winged or scaley friends!
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Re: Cat Food

Post by sevenyearnight »

There are also several companies making grain free food.
Wellness, Instinct, Blue Buffalo, Before Grain, Orijen, Wysong, Evo just to name a few.

It's ok to have a preference in a food brand, but as you have said, it's your opinion. Taste of the Wild is a great choice, but it's not the only grain free option, and it's not necessarily considered the "best".
Yes it is debateable on animals consuming the stomach, but certain things must be added to a cooked dry kibble food to have it even remotely be compared to a raw diet.
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)

Post by kcartwright856 »

The vast majority of dry kibbles in specific categories (grain free, for example) are made in the same plants with the same manufacturers. I don't generally view them to be any different between the brand that's stamped on the bag. Not many people are aware of this and I sometimes neglect to mention it. If it's grain-free and you do enough digging (this information is rarely available on their websites and is usually only obtained through several chains of phone calls as companies do NOT want you to know this), chances are high that you'll find they are the same.

Dry kibble can never compare to a raw diet, no matter what is added. I view a raw foods prey-model diet to be the best that you can offer your carnivorous pets, but I don't have access to it currently. I hope to change that in the next few years!
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

So why do you say Taste of the Wild is different from the other grain-free, byproduct-free, no-mystery-ingredients kibbles?

I currently feed Taste of the Wild because it's the best in my price range, but my cat actually had better skin and digestion with Blue Buffalo Wilderness.

ETA: Now that I think of it, she also didn't get sick constantly. I definitely don't have any proof that they're related, but it's something for me to think about, anyway.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

I am aware that many foods are baked in the same building, but each company has a recipe that the producer has to follow explicitly. This has become strict since a certain producer years ago was substituting ingredients without the companies knowledge or consent. That doesn't make all of the foods the same., some yeah maybe, they do that with human food too, but if the bags read different ingredients, they may come from the same place, but it's not like they cannot have separate recipes.

Several companies do manufacture their own foods, and their facilities are strictly monitored and inspected under human grade consumption standards.
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

I worked at a feed store for several years, so I am taking from my personal experiences with products and their manufacturers.

I think we can chalk it up to personal opinion. Which, in my opinion, is fine. =)
-KC

J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

This happens across all industries. Rebranding is not new.

Just an anecdote People are paying a HUGE premium for a product called "volcamia". We're talking about $120 per bag for gravel. That is the same product as Shirakura's Red Bee Sand at about $65 per bag, which is essentially the same as Red Sea's product at $30 per bag.

All they have to do is change 1 ingredient (+/- the volume or ratio) and it can be rebranded. The fact of the matter is; what is best for your pet is exactly that. What is best for YOUR pet and that will vary. Not all cats are the same. One brand may prove more beneficial for someone and less for another.

The only way to find out is try and see.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

So true, J-P. The subtleties between grain-free brands can make a big difference for some animals.

Also, it's important to note different "flavors" that even a single brand comes in. It's not uncommon for a pet to be allergic or otherwise negatively responsive to, say, the main protein source in one flavor. My dog does best on the TotW that is fish-based, for example.
-KC

J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

My mother's cat does well with beef and poultry. She lives in the same house as my 2 cats which, although love it, can't handle it and have to remain on seafood.

Even in the differences in production, batches they know which one they like and which they don't.

I think the main point I am trying to make.. with your pets, try, observe and adjust. There really is no "best". The same with puffers. If someone said I had to feed mine only mussels, and it wouldn't take mussels, I would call that person out. Do what you can but do your best.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

I do agree.

I think that I worded a quick response before bed poorly. TotW is ONE of the best foods out there. I went back to check to make sure that I did say one of the best! In terms of quality, that is.

But every pet and every owner is unique. =)
-KC

suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Post by suvattii2012 »

Cat Food is really great to catch carp.
Arrowhead
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

+1 to subtle differences making an impact on individuals. I have several animals all on different brands/formulas because of individual sensitivities. It's kind of inconvenient, but it's not something they can help. They are our dependents, we do our best accommodate all their individual needs.