Cat Food

Tell us about your other furry, winged or scaley friends!
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Cat Food

Post by Flutter »

What do you feed your cat and why?
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

Re: Cat Food

Post by goldielocke76 »

Even though it's not the best, I feed Iams Hair ball control because we had a cat who was going to die of kidney failure. The vet at the time told us to feed her Iams, to help make her comfortable. Well, it helped her kidneys, or whatever it did, it helped and worked. With some meds and some treatment with the cat food, her kidneys stablized and her creatine levels slowly went back to normal. She ended up living for almost 21 years when we finally had to put her down. Also, we have never had a cat on it that has had crystals, and it makes their feces smell less "smelly" if that makes any sense. I know there are better foods out there, but Iams Hairball formula really works. My mom had 5 cats and that is what they were all fed after it worked wonders on our Kidney cat. Our cat loves it.
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
wagner7123
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Usa, north pole alaska

Post by wagner7123 »

soylent green
I'm pretty sure I have a blue thumb.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

You know I'm a Blue Buffalo/Taste of the Wild/Wellness gal!
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

My cats eat Blue Buffalo, they have had Instinct and phallus Van Patten's food. I have fed my cats natural/holistic foods for just about 15 years, except for one bag of food I couldn't afford while I was in school, and that regular store brand food have my cat sulphur breath. I didn't do that again.
Why I feed them that food is because I can't afford a raw diet for as many animals as I have, and this is a decent enough 2nd choice.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Why I feed them that food is because I can't afford a raw diet for as many animals as I have, and this is a decent enough 2nd choice.
Ditto! Sorry, I forgot to add my why.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Friskies (can), because they don't like the good stuff.

Dry it is whiskas and cat chow (the one with the veggies) because my wife thinks they need veggies. From what I understand cats are the only mammals that can produce their own vit C so they don't need veggies.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Cats... don't... need... veggies.... UGH. :( They're obligate carnivores. The only plant matter they need can be taken care of with a little wheat/oat grass (and if someone lets their cats out, which they shouldn't, then they'll eat grass there).

You can get them to eat healthy food with a little work! It will take time and patience, but it's important for their health.

I AM A DUDETTE!

sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

Veggies will be in the stomach of their prey, along with beneficial bacteria. Commercial food, the better stuff, will contain veggies and probiotics. While they are not babysitting from the protein content etc. of any vegetable or fruit, they still benefit from the antioxidants and other similar properties. They are obligate carnivores, but it is a bit tricky to mimic everything they consume in the wild, so technically it is best to have at least a small amount of certain non meat items supplemented in a raw diet. A raw diet is superior, but only if it is properly supplemented monitored carefully for deficiencies, since it's not like many of us will have entire dead rabbits and such available to us.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

sevenyearnight wrote:...since it's not like many of us will have entire dead rabbits and such available to us.
but for those of us that do?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

sevenyearnight wrote:they have had Instinct and phallus Van Patten's food.
this lady who owns a pet store i worked at is a personal friend of his and he came in one time talking to my boss about Natural Balance, gave out autographed pictures to the staff. i gave it to my mom because she loved him when he was big into acting. we havent had any cats in years so this was before i knew better, but we used to feed meow mix dry(i know, i know!) and fancy feasts wet. now that i know better, if i were to own a cat or dog i would feed eukanuba, science diet or wellness. maybe even chicken soup for the cat/dog lovers soul. there are many good options at the pet store i used to work at. was a caring pet store that never bullcrapped a customer just to sell something. that was frowned upon there.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

if i were to own a cat or dog i would feed eukanuba, science diet or wellness.
Science Diet is CRAP. Vets only recommend it because they get paid to do it.

I AM A DUDETTE!

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

sevenyearnight wrote:Veggies will be in the stomach of their prey, along with beneficial bacteria. Commercial food, the better stuff, will contain veggies and probiotics. While they are not babysitting from the protein content etc. of any vegetable or fruit, they still benefit from the antioxidants and other similar properties. They are obligate carnivores, but it is a bit tricky to mimic everything they consume in the wild, so technically it is best to have at least a small amount of certain non meat items supplemented in a raw diet. A raw diet is superior, but only if it is properly supplemented monitored carefully for deficiencies, since it's not like many of us will have entire dead rabbits and such available to us.
I originally thought this, then I didn't see anything about it on the raw diet pages I looked at. >.< Sigh. Duly noted, and thanks for the correction!

I AM A DUDETTE!

jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:
if i were to own a cat or dog i would feed eukanuba, science diet or wellness.
Science Diet is CRAP. Vets only recommend it because they get paid to do it.
ok so take that list down to two 8) i have heard good about the prescription foods, but if i were to go store bought i would probably go with wellness. all natural and have never heard a bad thing
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

Eukanuba, Nutro, Bil Jac, ect they all used to be good food, but they have all been bought by other companies. Please check the ingredients of the food, they are all crap now. Corn and biproducts (inedible by human standards) are what most if those foods are comprised of.