Saying Goodbye :(

Tell us about your other furry, winged or scaley friends!
ILoveLola
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Virginia, USA

Saying Goodbye :(

Post by ILoveLola »

my fiance and i had to say goodbye to his miniature daschund Mannheim this morning. Manny was 13 years old and has been sick for awhile. He had had a gum disease since he was a puppy that caused his teeth to rot and fall out. This summer his tooth abscessed and he became very ill for about a week, but medications helped. This weekend his back gave out on him (a common problem with older doxies that often happens very suddenly) and he couldnt walk. Every breath he took he exhaled with a whine or cry, we couldn't carry him or touch him. It was one of the saddest and hardest things I've ever seen. He couldnt stomach anything and threw up too many times a day to count. When he'd lay down, he'd just collapse, as if he had given up. It absolutely tore at my heart.
Last night, we went to a park with just him and sat on a pier. He barked at leaves floating in the water and enjoyed the nice weather. For that time, all was right.

Our other dog Sam has been looking for his "brother" all day, and sometimes I catch myself doing the same thing too. I feel like my heart is breaking.
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Re: Saying Goodbye :(

Post by chuckfriedrice »

Im so sorry !
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
trekenk
Fahaka Puffer

Post by trekenk »

It is never easy and I am so sorry. May you find comfort in the fact that you both took such great care of Manny, right to the end in helping him cross. Hopfully in time you will be able to remember all the good times.
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

So sad! Manny looks so much like my Cricket. May your heart heal, losing a family member is hard :(
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Always hard to make that decision
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
ILoveLola
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Virginia, USA

Post by ILoveLola »

thank you guys, so much. we've known it was coming for awhile, like i said he was very ill in july as well, but actually reaching the point where you have to make the decision is hard. not even the decision itself--it was pretty clear what we had to do--but coming to terms with your own head, that's hard.
but i am so relieved that he isn't in pain anymore. i know people say that all the time when loved ones--pets, family, otherwise--pass away, but i have never felt so sure about the statement in my life.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You're right, it was time. And yes, he is finally free from pain. It was really nice, he got to go to the pier.

My Lulu the Wonderdog brought me her ball, the day before she died.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

Post by goldielocke76 »

Sorry Lola, this is heart wrenching. I look at my two, and feel sick to my stomach to think of the "what-ifs?" It sounds like he was super happy, and had a great life. You know he'll be waiting for you over the rainbow bridge.

"When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart."

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

I'm sorry you lost her. It's always so hard, even when it is the right time.

I lost my two childhood dogs this year (both were 16, I'm 23). I also lost my rabbit. It hurts like heck.

I hope time helps with your pain. Euthanasia can be the greatest gift we can give our pets.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin