Blanket sucking

Tell us about your other furry, winged or scaley friends!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Blanket sucking

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

My dog sucks on blankets anytime he wants to wind down or go to sleep. Anyone else's dog do this?
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
chuckfriedrice
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Petey my porcupine Puffer had him since 5/20/2011 about 7 inches now !
Location (country): Royal Palm Beach , Florida - USA

Re: Blanket sucking

Post by chuckfriedrice »

No but my 1 yr old Huskie chews on them, lol
170G Picasso Trigger, snails,Damsels, Coral Beauty Angelfish and Diamond Goby .
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckfriedrice?feature=mhee
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I've never heard of dogs doing it, but cats commonly wool-suck: http://www.thecatsite.com/Behavior/231/ ... -Cats.html
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

I think it's because my dog was weaned and sold off too early. A college student bought him out of a car in front of family dollar when he was 4 weeks old. she obviously couldn't keep him at her dorm so when he was 6 weeks old she rehomed him, and that's how I got him.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I also have been told that the activity in dogs is the result of too-early weaning. It sounds reasonable, but I cannot say I have heard such from the professionals.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

RTR wrote:I also have been told that the activity in dogs is the result of too-early weaning. It sounds reasonable, but I cannot say I have heard such from the professionals.

Yeah, I have been looking for something professional stating what it is. The most I have got so far is someone saying that it's in working dog breeds.
zookey
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): United States

Post by zookey »

My dog was orphaned at 2 weeks old and does not suck on anything. She was spayed by the time she was 6 months but still will whine and nuzzle squeaky toys that make noises simular to that of a young pup.

Maybe your dog just has issues..... (kidding)
pufferlover19
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Florida, United States

Post by pufferlover19 »

I have an Australian Shepherd and she does the same thing. She was sucking on the blanket so much that she tore off some and it got stuck in her stomach. She got sick and had to go to the vet. If I was you, I would remove the blanket from wherever she can get it, unless you are there to watch her, but especially take it away when you are gone.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

RTR wrote:I also have been told that the activity in dogs is the result of too-early weaning. It sounds reasonable, but I cannot say I have heard such from the professionals.
Does that apply to wives? Not that mine does that just curious ;)
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

LMAO
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
warlord238
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: figure 8 named puffy
2 more un named figure 8s
un named arrowhead
Location (country): new jersey

Post by warlord238 »

i have a 160 lb bull mastiff thats roughly the size of a baby whale and she sucks on her blanket...the vet forced a c section killing all the pups except her and she was human raised from day 1 so i would have to agree with it being from being weaned to early, or not at all in this case
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

warlord238 wrote:i have a 160 lb bull mastiff thats roughly the size of a baby whale and she sucks on her blanket...the vet forced a c section killing all the pups except her and she was human raised from day 1 so i would have to agree with it being from being weaned to early, or not at all in this case
How sad.