AqAdvisor (another calculator)

Come here to post and discuss other sites.
Camaro95
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 3 dwarf puffers

AqAdvisor (another calculator)

Post by Camaro95 »

In a brief search I didn't a find a link to this on TPF, so I thought I'd post it.

This site basically calculates your stocking level, compatibility and filtration for 917 different species of aquatic animal. This could be potentially useful to those new to the hobby or for use as a general guideline for novice/intermediate hobbyists. Of course some information and advice given may be incorrect and this is obviously not a substitution for proper research, but it's a nice little tool.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: AqAdvisor (another calculator)

Post by RTR »

I am dubious. But I do appreciate your posting the link - I'll try to do a brief scan there in the next few days and report back on my impressions. I am so conservative about stocking and far worse on tank combinations of fish that I am not hopeful. To date i have never seen any compatibility guide which I agree.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

it was funny .. we had this conversation before... I don't know if the calculator adjusts for juvenile fish or not but it is a neat little tool.

I can't find that thread either :(

I know it was posted when the site was still in development

the thread title was "overstocked?"
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Camaro95
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 3 dwarf puffers

Post by Camaro95 »

It takes adult size into account. Try stocking a dozen shrimp and a Fahaka in a 30 gallon and see what it says.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

actually he did add a juvenile section to that..

LOL!! I did the Fahaka and shrimp ... funny :D

Warning: Fahaka Puffer is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 17 inches.
Warning: Fahaka Puffer requires a tank with more height.
Warning: Amano Shrimp may become food for Fahaka Puffer.
Warning: Fahaka Puffer is not recommended to be with Amano Shrimp - shrimps will likely to become food.
Warning: Fahaka Puffer is too aggressive to co-exist with Amano Shrimp.
Warning: Your selected species may eventually require 235% of your aquarium space. You may need to deal with territorial aggressions later on. Try removing some of (Tetraodon lineatus, Cardina multidentata) or get a larger tank.
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Though there are some discrepancies, I've found it to be somewhat accurate.

It shows F8s and BBGs as brackish, and it tells people what fish should be kept in shoals with specific minimal numbers. It also advises on compatibility of fish, as well as to keep a good lid on specific jumpers...IME.

Overall, I think it is a good "basic" tool.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Moderately amusing, and not nearly as bad as most, but I don't see myself ever suggesting that site or any of that sort of site.

Few hobbyists realize what they are doing to their fish by keeping common mixed tanks. But there I am way out of the mainstream. My first tanks were "community", but I recovered from that fallacy by my teens. Maybe some percentage of those who do stay in the hobby for decades or generations will come to see things the same way I do.
Where's the fish? - Neptune