My 3 dwarf pea puffers living peacefully in a community tank

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
mislaura
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Betty Bob and Bertha 3 dwarf pea puffers in a community tank of many fish
Location (country): north america

My 3 dwarf pea puffers living peacefully in a community tank

Post by mislaura »

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: My 3 dwarf pea puffers living peacefully in a community

Post by bertie 83 »

Give them time, I have only had 2 dps that didn't bother anything. Once they hit maturity they are the most dangerous puffers out there
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
mislaura
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Betty Bob and Bertha 3 dwarf pea puffers in a community tank of many fish

Post by mislaura »

all 3 are mature puffers fully grown they have shared the tank for around 6 months now I keep them well fed with black worms and hae seen no aggression. I have seen them hit head on with a silver dollar and continue about there buisness. These puffers are at least a year old. I believe the size of the tank and adding them last has made the difference as well.
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

I personally believe that like other puffers, DP's personalities can vary.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
mislaura
Puffer Fry

Post by mislaura »

My puffers are adult puffers they have been in the community tank for awhile now with no issues. They were old enough to be sexed when I got them they were not babies so I really dont think there personalities will do any drastic changes unless I decided not to feed them. and that wont happen
pollypuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 c. travancoricus - Phat Ted and Regular Size Rudy
1 c. lorteti - Schmendrick the Magician
~RIP Large Marge~
Location (country): Canada

Post by pollypuff »

I have to agree with Bertie. I think you're taking a big chance by putting a predator fish in with community fish and expecting it will stay peaceful. They may be fine for a while but don't expect it to last forever.
mislaura
Puffer Fry

Post by mislaura »

Dwarf pea puffers are a fairly new species. They were only discovered a few years ago. I don't think there's enough studies one way or another. If I had a small tank I may be more concerned but 75 gallons is a lot area with lots of hiding places, YouTube has a number of videos listed. I believe if not well fed you may have issues but I keep them well fed with live black worms and trumpet snails. But your right any time a fish can change.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I had some that were fine for years then turned nasty, if this happens its disastrous. But their personalities do vary, had a pair of old males that didn't bother anything even shrimp. Not a risk I would take again but you might get lucky
mislaura
Puffer Fry

Post by mislaura »

bertie 83 wrote:Give them time, I have only had 2 dps that didn't bother anything. Once they hit maturity they are the most dangerous puffers out there
Who told you that? A hungry puffer is the most dangerous. Most dwarf puffers are pretty easy going and there are many articles on there ability to remain in a community tanks.

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/arti ... rprise.htm
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

No one told me. This is my experience from keeping them for years. I have many tank years experience with dps. Some are just occasional nippers which is still not ok. I only had 2 males that were totally peaceful. All the others were killers/ not friendly at all. You see a lot online but no articles state long term success, this is the goal
pollypuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 c. travancoricus - Phat Ted and Regular Size Rudy
1 c. lorteti - Schmendrick the Magician
~RIP Large Marge~
Location (country): Canada

Post by pollypuff »

I'm sorry I have to agree. Lots of people add DPs to community tanks and say "see I told you they are fine" but 3-6 months later its a different story. Missing eyes, tattered fins - yeah they may not kill your other fish outright but they will pick away a little at a time until stress kills them instead. These are not a peaceful fish. Keep in mind as well that this is a scaleless fish and if you ever have to treat your tank for disease you will need to move them out. Keeping them well fed has nothing to do with them attacking other fish - if you've ever seen an overfed puffer still try to feed you will know they have no concept of being full. In addition they metabolize their food pretty quickly and it is in their nature to constantly be on the patrol for food. I have a 110 and there is no way you could convince me of adding DPs to that tank! I like my fish to have eyeballs :P

**also that article you linked to is 8 years old and also states "They do well in smaller tanks, and a pair or trio can be kept in a desktop tank" which we know now is not true for long term success.
mislaura
Puffer Fry

Post by mislaura »

pollypuff wrote:I'm sorry I have to agree. Lots of people add DPs to community tanks and say "see I told you they are fine" but 3-6 months later its a different story. Missing eyes, tattered fins - yeah they may not kill your other fish outright but they will pick away a little at a time until stress kills them instead. These are not a peaceful fish. Keep in mind as well that this is a scaleless fish and if you ever have to treat your tank for disease you will need to move them out. Keeping them well fed has nothing to do with them attacking other fish - if you've ever seen an overfed puffer still try to feed you will know they have no concept of being full. In addition they metabolize their food pretty quickly and it is in their nature to constantly be on the patrol for food. I have a 110 and there is no way you could convince me of adding DPs to that tank! I like my fish to have eyeballs :P

**also that article you linked to is 8 years old and also states "They do well in smaller tanks, and a pair or trio can be kept in a desktop tank" which we know now is not true for long term success.
We can agree to disagree since they are adults and have been peaceful for 7 months I will let you know how they are when a full year is up
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Your experience may be different. We just can't recommend it.
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

Those other fishes seems fast, puffers may want to nip their fins....but good luck doing it!

That's what I observe with my puffer (irrubesco), the guppies are so quick they lost interest. They may get a fry from time to time, that's all.

Problem is more getting the puffer fed, they are not the only one going for red worm or even squid pieces....

slow fishes, even armored ones, are another story entirely....
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

mislaura wrote:
We can agree to disagree since they are adults and have been peaceful for 7 months I will let you know how they are when a full year is up
Let us know when 5 years is up! :?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"