Rocket the Abei puffer

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
lightsout
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Pao abei
Location (country): Midwest, USA

Rocket the Abei puffer

Post by lightsout »

Well my Abei puffer finally made it home at 8am this morning..Looks very healthy too, the pics that were sent to me were taken at a weird angle lol..but im glad he made it ok. Going to dose him within a week or so, but man this is one active puppy! curious little one. Attached a video, enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtDz_tD0R9g
Last edited by lightsout on Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
dmond31
Dwarf Puffer

Re: Rocket the Abei puffer

Post by dmond31 »

I love the look of Abei Puffer. I been search for one for years with no luck. As my little baby girl would say " I am so jello"
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Post by TheStig »

I've driving as far as over an hour to LFSs to see if they carry Abei puffers, and make a list of the ones that I like, hopefully to source one for me eventually.

I've had my eye on them for a while now... but seems like they are very rare.

May I ask where u found yours online?
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
luigimbu
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Luigi the 18in mbu
Desmond the Gsp 4in (rehomed)
4 large Frontosas
Climbing pearch
Clown knife fish 20inch
And a nice new reef tank setup
Location (country): England dorset shaftesbury

Post by luigimbu »

lightsout wrote:Well my Abei puffer finally made it home at 8am this morning..Looks very healthy too, the pics that were sent to me were taken at a weird angle lol..but im glad he made it ok. Going to dose him within a week or so, but man this is one active puppy! curious little one. Attached a video, enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtDz_tD0R9g
Wow he's really nice must be almost full size?where did you find him too?I've been looking for one as I've given up on trying to get a cross river puffer.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

IDK why I can't get Youtube to work but congrats on scoring a rare puffer! Is he eating?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
luigimbu
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Luigi the 18in mbu
Desmond the Gsp 4in (rehomed)
4 large Frontosas
Climbing pearch
Clown knife fish 20inch
And a nice new reef tank setup
Location (country): England dorset shaftesbury

Post by luigimbu »

How's he doing? Feeding yet?
lightsout
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Pao abei
Location (country): Midwest, USA

Post by lightsout »

Thanks for the positive comments everyone, I purchased it from an all salt water shop in Missouri, 5 hours from me. It was a lucky find to tell you the truth, the owner said he had it as a shop pet for the last 4 months and contemplated keeping it lol. He told me it was literally the only fresh water fish they had. I believe the shop was called aquatic world.

Im telling you this fish was not shy when I first took him out of the shipping box, he was swimming around in the water bag lol...once he was in the tank it was non stop, he explored every little corner and just swam and swam for hours. He still does it, he usually stops around 9pm

He came in very healthy, not skinny nor overweight. He didnt hold back on feasting on all the little ramshorn snails that same day. Didnt get any video of him eating but he acts like nothing has phased him. Also he actually chirps once in awhile, totally took me by suprise, I had no idea they made little noises.

I would love to catch it on video someday
TheStig
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: DP
Location (country): USA

Post by TheStig »

Thanks for the update. I was teetering going with a SW puffer, but after ur input, I am just going to be patient and not settle with any other puffer. It was a toss between an Abei and a Fangs, but I know where my heart lies... and ur adorable video convinced me. :) Looking forward to more vids!
10 gallon: 1 dwarf puffer, 3 Otos, 1 amano shrimp

Don't let your wet friend suffer - PufferPunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think you'd be happier with the more active species, abei. I had a turgidus for some time & gave him to one of the admins here, because I never saw him. I just got another turgidus a couple of days ago & although I do see him out of his cave occasionally, he stays in there most of the time. I love him anyway though!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"