GSP Circling Magfloat

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP
Location (country): USA

Re: GSP Circling Magfloat

Post by Welch4 »

Pufferpunk wrote:Airstone in BW will make salt spray everywhere! In my 40 years in this hobby, I've never owned an airstone.
Taking out the air stone now. One less airpump means a quieter bedroom for me. I am thinking about taking one of the 425's back tomorrow to upgrade to a 600. I can't really aim these 425's too well. I have read that ideal flow is 20-40x turnover. I think this was said for general rule of thumb for marine. When it comes to puffers(not the strongest swimmers), would 1025 gph be too much on a 29g tank?
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Sounds like a lot.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I do have a collection of airstones paired with battery-operated air pumps which I have used to add oxygen to bio-media transferred from canisters during long power outages and kept during such outages in shallow glass dishes. That keeps the bacteria alike until the power is back on. Long ago I did use some airstones in FW tanks, but gave all such uses up long ago. Salt/mineral spray and coverglass etching does occur in FW tanks also, and I prefer not to have to replace cover-glasses any more often than absolutely necessary.

With very soft acid water, cover-glasses actually etch as rapidly as from hard or BW tanks. That is especially true if you use sphagnum moss or sphagnum peat filtration to provide tannin-rich water for Discus or or Cardinal or Neon Tetras. That tannin-rich water will etch cover glasses almost as quickly as full marine conditions.

Extreme water conditions are hard on cover-glasses at both ends of the scale. But salt spray is messier.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

On water flow: Never forget that rated flow versus functional real (i.e., measured) flow are two very different measures.

You want to have no, repeat no, dead spots in a tank. You do want areas with lower flow (cave or other refuge/shelter from dense plants in FW) and areas with higher, stronger flow for simple swimming exercise.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

The two korlalia 450's seem to be doing the trick. I was able to put 90 on the end my my ehiem spary bar that the outlet dumps right over one the the poweheads. This also efectivley reduces the jets on the spray bar which were scaring the gsp. I also have the new rockwork 90% done I just need to grab another stick of epoxy to piece rubble in the gaps. I can post up a video tonight. Again thank you guys for all of your advice.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I keep all my spray bars vertical in the tanks.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

So aparently one of the rocks was not firmly on the bottom of the tank. My violet goby got underneath and almost brought the second archway down. Ive removed the rocks that were about to tumble. The new video is going to be delayed until I can take the goby and the gsp out, reseat this rock and expoy the second archway. The verticle spray bar is a great idea.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I tuck it behind the intake tube & hold it there with the suction cup from the bigger one.

Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

About a week back I added a koralia 600. The 600 is aimed across the front and the two 450's are aimed across the back pointing to the filter inlet. The little guy still loves doing loop de loops but not as frequent and spends much of his day swimming at the powerheads. Thank you guys for all of your advice.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think this is the longest thread on TPF of all time!

Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

He jumped out of the tank last night. . . I hadn't replaced the plastic part to the hood after changing from a HOB to a Canister.
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Welch4 »

0.0 hes still alive. Making a new thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34341