Taking the perfect pics of your puffers

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): Canada

Taking the perfect pics of your puffers

Post by Ti_CLaD »

How do you guys do to take the pics you do of your puffers??? All those close-ups and stuff... All I can get is blurriness thru the glass, water reflection or flash reflection ( or total darkness in other spots)...

Do you use submersible cameras or just normal ones with some sort of filter or am I just a bad photograph??? :)
LRU
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Re: Taking the perfect pics of your puffers

Post by LRU »

I just attended a workshop where Mo Devlin (AquaMojo) talked about his techniques for taking good shots. He is well known for getting great fish pictures.

The main thing he does is get more light - 1-5 external flashes (not the dinky one that comes on your camera) shining into the tank, up from the bottom, and/or from the sides. He also uses a nice camera (DSLR), although I suspect a Micro 4/3 would work well too. He takes a lot of pics, using manual settings, and paints the photo tank on the back with a 'bumpy' frosted glass type paint, then a black paint, so light reflects into the tank but is diffused instead of mirrored back.

I usually take my pics with my Galaxy S3 phone camera, because I have it handy, but could get much better shots by trying some of the above, I think.
Ti_CLaD
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): Canada

Post by Ti_CLaD »

Alright I'll look into that... I'd like to enter the POTM contest but can't get decent pictures of it...
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I just take a load of photos on my iphone, the best ones get kept, the duff blurt ones get binned. I only get reasonable shots with persistence
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I use a Canon 500D DSLR with good quality glass. A fast shutter speed with a macro prime lens is most useful.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Fahaka

Also kept:
2 x South American Puffers (SAP)
Location (country): Norway

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

screenshots of video clips made with high resolution smartphone cameras, flash off
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: .
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's
Location (country): Holland

Post by KorrepZ »

I take my pictures in the evening when its dark outside. Then turn off all the lights in the house and use a fast shutterspeed. Then play around with the diafragma and ISO a bit untill the fast shutter gives clear and good lighted photo's so you dont need to use the flash ;)
Master Yoda the Fahaka and Manny the Mantis Shrimp! - R.I.P R2 & 3PO (F8), Luke (dwarf), Snips (Ceylon) and Obi 1-3 (Valentini)

casc
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: "Juke" porcupine puffer 150G FOWLR
10G Aqua scape tank with Dwarf Puffer
~Non puff tank:
30G reef tank with Hawaiian Dwarf Peacock Lionfish
~GF tanks:
90G freshwater w/ fancy goldfish
90G freshwater w/ oscar
Location (country): USA, Vermont

Post by casc »

My girlfriend has a really nice professional HD camera. The things amazing! Also has a big external flash.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

With all these great cameras here, we should have no problems getting enough pics for POTM! ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

LOL! Some of us have not taken a photo in decades. While my wife has a non-trivial collection of cameras, she hates trying to take fish tank photos, so I only very rarely ask it of her. There are plenty of folks for whom even cell phones are quite a challenge and for emergency use only. Modern key pads are alien devices which I cannot see. Sorry about that. I usually call in a professional if I want photos...Submitting those few pctures would not be fair competition and a tad expensive to boot.
Where's the fish? - Neptune