Giant Fahaka Puffer entering adulthood

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Fahaka

Also kept:
2 x South American Puffers (SAP)
Location (country): Norway

Giant Fahaka Puffer entering adulthood

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

It´s almost one and a half year I brought a tiny fahaka home and Freddy is now about 35 cm (including his tail)

Here is an update:

Constant begging (you can see his akward look after chipping his upper left tooth)

Toothgrinding as a hobby (he loves crushing just about anything. He won´t let the thermometer stay where it is supposed to be)

Favorite snack, earthworms
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Re: Giant Fahaka Puffer entering adulthood

Post by sgtmyers88 »

My what a stunning and beautiful fish.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
wigkeeper
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Wig (3-5) Months
Fahaka Puffer.
The 180 Gallon is now in full operation and thriving we both survived our first move.
Location (country): Canada

Post by wigkeeper »

I just got mine about a month ago about 3 inches including tail. I have heard so many different things on how often to feed. can you help me out with what you fed him and how many times a day you fed and when you changed it up? Been trying to find it on this site but there is so much stuff to sift through.
wigkeeper
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Wig (3-5) Months
Fahaka Puffer.
The 180 Gallon is now in full operation and thriving we both survived our first move.
Location (country): Canada

Post by wigkeeper »

awesome puffer too cant wait till mine is that big.
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

The feeding schedule depends on the puffer as they are not all the same:
- activity level and digestion
- how quickly the belly bulge evens out before the next meal (be careful not fattening its lever etc.)

It also depends on how efficient your filtration system is, how often you change the water and how often you remove waste in the substrate. You will most likely figure out what works best for your puffer.

I would keep the diet as varied as possible and you should figure it out based on the availability in your location. This is my list:

baby size
- snails
- cut pieces of mussels, shrimp, squid (using a feeder stick)
- small earthworms fattened up with green salads
- live shrimp

sub-adult to adult:
- frozen Vietnamese river crabs bought at my local Asian quarter
- Frozen Asian river prawns with shell and head on, frozen apple snails from the same ASian market
- Different types of shell based food for grinding the teeth every day: Blue mussels, clams, cockle
- large earthworms fattened up with green salads
- chunks of squid from the grocery store
- separate tank for live crabs and cray fish when available

For my puffer, I think it is ok to give him one or two cockles every day for grinding the teeth (not that much food in them, and it is easy to remove the waste). Every second day I give him a couple of river crabs (or 2-3 earthworms, or prawns, or chunks of squid). I tend to avoid prawns since they create a mess in the tank. When he was small, I fed him every day. Nowadays, I tend to alternative between periods of hunger and overfeeding due to my travel schedule. When I am away for two weeks he is fine getting a meal once a week which keeps the waste level down. Earthworms and cockles are the best option since it leaves minimum waste in the tank. It is important to change the water twice in the week before leaving and then repeat the same when returning. When I am back home, I tend to give him lots of river crabs as the main diet combined with shrimp and squid now and then. A cockle a day is fine for grinding the teeth.

My puffer is really active so I have no problems overfeeding him now and then. Just make sure you don't do it all the time.
Arrow2013
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Post by Arrow2013 »

[quote="Fahaka Fakka"]It´s almost one and a half year I brought a tiny fahaka home and Freddy is now about 35 cm (including his tail)

Here is an update:

Constant begging (you can see his akward look after chipping his upper left tooth)

What a beauty
Arrow2013
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Post by Arrow2013 »

Hey I know you think earthworms are his fav but get some giant lobworms :) now that's his fav food lol
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

Arrow2013 wrote:Hey I know you think earthworms are his fav but get some giant lobworms :) now that's his fav food lol
Aren´t earthworms the same? I googled lobworms and they look the same as the worms I buy at my local sports fishing store. In the summer they are abundant in the wild.