My F8 Tank

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Figure Eight Puffers, Binks (29G)
Dwarf puffers, named "He-Puffer" (male) and She-puffer (female) (10g)
Non-puffer:
1 Red-eared slider, Tortuga (female)(100g)
1 rubber lip pleco
Location (country): USA, Indiana

My F8 Tank

Post by G S P Freak »

Well, I just wanted to show what I've done so far! I like what I have so far, but I'm far from done (us aquarists are never done tweaking out setups right =P?).
I'll be posting some more pics when I get the time, and do some changes.
P.S. The huge goofy-out-of-place coral kills me, but my girlfriend loves it and refuses to let me replace it with something else for the time being lol... Oh well. Also, sorry for the quality, I took it with my cruddy cell-phone, so hopefully next time I can get some better quality pics up. Oh, and last thing, that blur on the right side of the tank near the filter outtake is my F8 lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No human being, however great, or powerful, was ever so free as a fish.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Re: My F8 Tank

Post by purplecandle »

I like the coral! I have a similar peice but it kept falling over. The heater it the center of the tank throws me off, but I still think it is a beautiful tank, looks like that f8 enjoys the tank as well. Really, really pretty tank :D
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

purplecandle wrote:I like the coral! I have a similar peice but it kept falling over. The heater it the center of the tank throws me off, but I still think it is a beautiful tank, looks like that f8 enjoys the tank as well. Really, really pretty tank :D
Haha thanks, yeah I'm not very experienced with aquascaping yet, I just move stuff around til it looks good. Thanks for the comment though, suggestions/comments are what I'm looking for, so I'll see what I can do to hide the heater =P. My coral also kept shifting/falling over, so I put a piece of what I was told is hawaiian rock, it's a reddish flat slate-like rock, which I put underneath it to keep it stable. It seems to work so far, and again, thanks for the pointers =).

P.S. I hope my puffer is happy! I've seemed to have successfully treated him for ips, no more sunken tummy yay!, and since I decorated the tank with lots of broken lines of sight and interesting plants/structures, glass-surfing is at a minimal, he seems to enjoy exploring his surroundings rather then try to futiley swim through glass lol.
-John Ruskin-
"I have to laugh when people call fish-keeping a hobby, if anything, it's a science... and for some, an obsession." - Me
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

It does look real nice. That coral looks like a perfect heater hider lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I like the coral too! It adds good dimension to the decor. You can keep moving it around the tank, for different looks.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Like I promised, an update! Here's a few pics of my F8, the tank, and tankmates. The coral has been taken over by brown algae, despite having 2 nerite snails in the tank to clean it up. The intake is also crooked because of where the tank is positioned now, compared to where it was located before, where there was more room. Tank has been up and running for several months now, and my puffer seems to have settled in nicely. Been a while since I redecorated, but I'll end up doing that next water change!

-John Ruskin-
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Post by defool89 »

Maybe its just the pic,or the old no.7 but I like the looks of that brown algae.
You have the right to bear Puffers.
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

That looks like a happy and healthy F8 in there!
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Thanks guys! Did some rearranging, so here's another pic, and some puffer pics lol.
-John Ruskin-
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Looks like the F8 I rescued and rehomed a few months ago. :)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

I have a java fern, which only has 1 leaf left on the rizome... bummer, BUT, had tons of baby fernlets on the leaf, so I took my lace rock and stuffed the baby and momma ferns into the indents, and I think that it looks better then either the rock or the fern did alone.

Also, this is what my water reading ALWAYS seems to read, Idk if it's just error or what, but my fish do seem to be healthy. I just did a water change today, so I'm gonna post another test result on Tuesday to see how it reads. The results were taken about 2 days before I did a water change.
-John Ruskin-
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Using well water? That looks like my water readings.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Not at the moment, using city water because I'm in college, though I do live in Indiana (the state of corn and farming) so the water may be higher in nitrates then most. The nearest farmland is ~10 miles away. My water always seems to read this way, so I'm going to test the source water and do another tank water test tomorrow and post the results =P.
-John Ruskin-
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Just wanted to ask, is your heater adjustable? Not having an adjustable heater was the entire downfall of one of my friend's tanks a year or so ago.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
G S P Freak
Green Spotted Puffer
Non-puffer:
1 rubber lip pleco

Post by G S P Freak »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:Just wanted to ask, is your heater adjustable? Not having an adjustable heater was the entire downfall of one of my friend's tanks a year or so ago.
I did, but about 2 weeks about the thermostat of my heater broke and I had to trash it. I noticed it was heating the tank for a whole hour and a half continuously, and come to find out that the thermostat must be broken because it heated my tank to 86 degrees F and would have keep heating until the next morning, which would have boiled my puffer =/. So I got an eheim jager heater, and besides being annoyingly huge, it works great. I shudder to think of what would have happened if I didn't notice the heater was acting weird, I will never buy another Tetra submersible heater again; not the first time I've had trouble with one.
-John Ruskin-