Cenote Tanganyika: 300G Mbu build thread (56K warning)...

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
E78704

Cenote Tanganyika: 300G Mbu build thread (56K warning)...

Post by E78704 »

Greetings and I wanted to share our setup for our 25" Mbu puffer. To give a bit of background, we have had him (or her?) for a little over 3 years now. I have kept fish for my entire adult life, 30+ years, but this is my first exprience with a fish of this size. In the past, it has been mostly planted tanks or cichids but then one day, at the local fish store, my wife became enamored with this charming little pufferfish they had. "Honey, can we PLEEEEEZE get him?". I tried repeatedly to talk her out of it. "Babe, they get too big/eat too much/take up too much space, etc, etc". However, as most of you married men will attest, you can only hold out for so long... So, we took him home and he spend the first two years of his life in our 125G Tanganyikan cichid tank, where he grew to approx. 23" in length. Almost exactly one year ago, we moved out of our house, so that a major remodel could begin. Part of that remodel would incoporate a new, larger aquarium for the Mbu and his buddies. The last photo I took of him, in the 125G, before we transferred him out...

We stayed in an 800' sq. apartment while the remodel was happening. My wife and me, two cats, a german shepherd, three snakes, and 150 gallon stock tank in the living room. I did not mention that on the "pets" part of the lease application...

In the meantime, plans were being put into motion for the tank. I commissioned a furniture maker we had used in the past to build the stand carcase for us....

At the house, planning the location for the 6'x3' tank. Due to the extreme weight of the tank and stand and the fact that our house is on a pier-and-beam foundation, I did not want any of that weight on the floor joists, themselves, so we specified a dedicated concrete pad be poured directly under the fish tank area, and the blocked up the floor joists with high-strenght LVL beams. This way, the weight comes directly down onto the pad...

While the contractors were handling that framework, I set to work on the lighting. These are Giesemann Nova II pendant halides that I have accumulated over the years. Assorted colors, I planned to use four, so refinished them all in a "hammered silver" finish, so as to be unobtrusive against the ceiling...

The idea for the tank is to have an open top, with emergent plants growing out of the surface, towards the lights. The lights would be mounted at the ceiling...

The Giesemanns were originally either 150w or 250w each and had giant magnetic ballasts. I wanted to be energy-conscious with this setup, so decided on refitting them with electronic ballasts and 70w bulbs. I was able to purchase some Osram "Excellence" 5,500K HQI bulbs from a dealer in Hong Kong (they seem to be totally unavailable in the US for whatever reason) for a surprisingly affordable $18 each (compared to about $80 each for Ushio 8,000K's...) and I LOVE these bulbs! Possibly, brighter than the 150's that I had in the past and very stable light output.

Metal halide lights require a ballast to drive the bulbs and that is typically mounted remote from the actual light fixture. In order to keep as clean an appareance as possible on the ceiling, I decided to mount the ballasts in our upstairs closet, the wire leads running through the ceiling space. The box I fabricated, containing the ballasts and timers. I can stagger the order in which they come on and off...

I finished the stand in a low-key green color and then clear-coated the whole thing for moisture protection...

The doors are reclaimed salvage Longleaf Pine and will get mounted as the very last step...

Coating of epoxy on the top of the stand and then on all inside surfaces, for moisture protection. The white color is Killz primer and the round holes in the top are foor a substrate heating system I thought about but decided to forego...

The stand now in place in the house...

Anti-fatigue mat under the stand, to fill any irregularities between the base of the stand and the hardwood floor...

Lights inside the stand, for working on filtration, etc....

Now that the stand is in, time to work on the filtration. I had been using a couple of large Marineland C-360 cans up to this point, and planned to continue using them in the 300, but also wanted a wet/dry filter due to the size of the tank and volume of fish. Since I'm a DIY kinda' guy, I just scoured Craigslist for some used wet/drys. Not bad for $80, right?..

Drill a few holes, add one 40G breeder flat from Petsmart and a couple of bulkheads, and presto, you have a functioning wet/dry...

Big news! The store called. Our tank had arrived. A Marineland Deep Dimension 300G with Starphire ultra-clear front panel. The largest production glass tank available...

Delivered to the house and moved to the garage, for "modifications"...

Getting back to an earlier comment, I have used (and HIGHLY reccommend..) the inclusion of live plants such as Pothos, for nitrate control. For anyone unfamiliar with this, Google "pothos nitrate removal". Apparently, this particular plant does an exceptionally good job of pulling organic pollutants from the water. To the point that I cannot test any trace of NO3 after months of the tank being set up, now. In fact, I think that the inclusion of plants like Pothos and Peace Lilly (Spathiphyllum) in our tanks is why we have done so well with the big guy. My plan was to relegate the back 1/3rd of the tank to live plants. The peace lillies would get planted in plastic baskets and the pothos would have cuttings placed through sections of plastic eggcrate, the idea being that their roots would descend into the water. The pictures are pretty explanatory...

These wire grates are actually shelving rackes I bought from Lowe's, then cut to fit the top of the tank. The idea is that potted orchids, bromeliads, and other house plants will be placed on them, filling out the back of the tank....

Tank gets a coat of flat black latex on the back...

I had this idea to place mirrors behind the planted area of the fish tank, to give an "endless depth" look...

The light strips you see there are "Dioder" from Ikea. Water resistant and adhesive backed. I mounted some aluminum L-channel to the wall and then stuck the Dioder strips to those. The idea being to backlight the "jungle" after dark...

Playing around with the various colors at night...

Things coming together...

I neglected to mention this earlier but one of the things I wanted to do with the filtration system was ceate a way to reclaim the wastewater and use it to irrigate our garden with, since I discard about 50 gallons a week. Here you can seehead of the drain pipe, before the flooring guys covered it back up...

Under the house and out to the yard...

While I was under the house, I also installed a tee for the auto-top off system I plan to install at some point. The open-top design of the tank loses several gallons a day to evaporation, so this will be a necessity by some point...

This is the PVC manifold I fabricated, which is the "top" end of what you see under the floor. It serves as both emergency overflow drain for left and right sumps and then as a drain into which I place the end of the siphon, when I am vacuuming the tank...

OK, so the tank is now in place and the filtration is ready. Time to decorate the tank. Since we will be keeping Tanganyikan cichlids with our puffer, I wanted to use Limestone for the hardscape. Fortunately our entire county here in Texas is located on what is called the Balcones Escarpment, which is basically solid limestone. This is also known and sold (for ridiculous prices...) as "Texas Holey Rock" among aquarist circles. I say "ridiculous" because it is literally laying all over the ground here in central Texas. Here is how it looks in-situ...

Rainwater, over the eons, flows through and erodes the interesting holes in the limestone...

As it is, the limestone is way to "dirty" with organic material to put into the tank, so must be processed beforehand. First, I pressure-wash off all the big pieces of dirt, leaves, etc. Then, each piece is bleached...

What I am doing is bleaching the rocks in those tubs, then draining the effluent into the sewer cleanout for the house, NOT into the street. You would never want to drain bleach or any other chemical into a municipal waterway, obviously. After thorough rinsing, the pieces are left to dry in the sun...

They are now ready for hardscaping. Since the Mbu is so large and could easily knock over a stack or rocks, I am using polyurethane "waterfall foam" to secure the hardscape....

The poly foam tends to "boil up" as it dries and looks un-natural, so I came back the next day and scraped away as much as I could with a small screwdriver, then vacuumed the particles out. That really improved the look. By the way, the substrate is pool filter sand from Home Depot. I like it very much for fish tanks.

OK, the big day arrived. Time to fill the tank and fire up the filters...

So far, so good. The black manifold you see is one I fabricated for the marineland canisters. Those are air bleed valves on the U's. Time to add the big guy and put the plants in...

All those pics were taken about four months ago. Fast forward to now (or at least more recenty)...

Just a few final notes on these guys. Mbu are not for everyone. In fact, they are not for most fish keepers. But that being said, if you have the room for them and are able to meet their dietary needs (ours eats 3-4 adult crayfish per day), they can be excellent pets. They are hardy and undemanding in regards to water chemistry. Ours has survived two major power outages which killed other tank mates, yet from which he apparently suffered no ill effects. A tank of this dimension (6'x3') would be the bare minimum I would keep one in but I can say that at an adult size of 25" (ours has grown approx. 2" in the last year, which leads me to believe he is at or near adult size. Obviously, fish keep growing throughout their lives, albiet at a much more slow rate), ours has plenty of room to move around and shows no evidence of being cramped in this 300G.

Thank you for allowing me to share and best of luck with your own pufferfish.
defool89
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Fahaka
Location (country): United states, Garland Texas

Re: Cenote Tanganyika: 300G Mbu build thread (56K warning)...

Post by defool89 »

Gahhhh i love it and am jelous...watever ppl may say. ..Thats one happy looking fish!!!!
You have the right to bear Puffers.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Thanks for the comprehensive tank build. A 300g tank is not to betaken lightly lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

bertie 83 wrote:Thanks for the comprehensive tank build. A 300g tank is not to betaken lightly lol
Lololol no pun intended...
pufferluver87
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): ashford,kent

Post by pufferluver87 »

i think your setup is fab and your mbu is gorgeous.also to get advise from an ACTUAL MBU OWNER and a successful one at that is even better.
i take all your advise in well going by your experience in keeping a mbu.i hope my success in keeping mine goes as well as yours.its great that you share your experience with us mbu newbies and im very sure others will take on board and agree with your views and opinions such as me. :D :D :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I hope to see you still posting about him 10 years from now.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
defool89
Fahaka Puffer

Post by defool89 »

He will its a fab. Set up...pleasse post pics of him destroying crawdads!!!!
geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer "tetraodon lineatus"
Location (country): Canada

Post by geronimo69 »

That fish is gorgeous. Love it. If he lived in a 125 for 2 years at that size... I'm sure he'll be fine for 10 in this tank. Not like a few more inches will make a difference... and as far as water chemistry goes, that filtration/WC schedule will be plenty. Well done!
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
"Fish recognize a bad leader."
Conan O'Brien
E78704

Post by E78704 »

defool89 wrote:Gahhhh i love it and am jelous...watever ppl may say. ..Thats one happy looking fish!!!!
bertie 83 wrote:Thanks for the comprehensive tank build. A 300g tank is not to betaken lightly lol
Thanks, we enjoy him very much. Building the tank was a ton of work and I hope to not have to do a project like this again, in the near future. In hindsight, there are some things I wish I would've done differently on the front end but no major regrets so far. "Not taken lightly" is right: I figure that is somewhere between 4,000-4,500lbs. of weight in that 6'x3' area. As they say, proper planning is the key to success.
pufferlover87 wrote:i think your setup is fab and your mbu is gorgeous.also to get advise from an ACTUAL MBU OWNER and a successful one at that is even better...
Thanks, appreciate that. I do not consider myself any expert on Mbu puffers, just glad to tell folks what has worked for us. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Been keeping fish for 30+ years, had all sorts of different species, and the Mbu has actually been one of the EASIER ones to keep. That's not to say that everyone needs to run out and buy one of these guys because they truly are not for everyone, but compared to reef tanks or planted tanks, or tanks full of cichlids I have owned in the past, he has been a lot less problematic. Cichlids kill each other, planted tanks need trimming all the time, if the CO2 system malfunctions, you lose all the fish, and reef tanks are basically daily work. The Mbu is just "easy", don't know what else to say. I would much rather, for example, see someone select an Mbu than a Pacus, Red-tail Cats, or something like that. It's pretty good that you can't just go down to the local fish store and get an Mbu for $19.95, if you know what I mean.
Pufferpunk wrote: I hope to see you still posting about him 10 years from now.
LOL, Pufferpunk, you just don't let up, do you? If you're ever in Central Texas, you gotta' come over and have a beer with us. :D
defool89 wrote: He will its a fab. Set up...pleasse post pics of him destroying crawdads!!!!
LOL, let me see what I can do about that. It will be a pretty short video.
geronimo69 wrote: That fish is gorgeous. Love it. If he lived in a 125 for 2 years at that size... I'm sure he'll be fine for 10 in this tank. Not like a few more inches will make a difference... and as far as water chemistry goes, that filtration/WC schedule will be plenty. Well done!
Thanks. This is my feeling as well. I basically feed him as much as he wants to eat, each day, so it is safe to assume that "lack of food" is not affecting his growth and he certainly has plenty of room in the tank, so I essentially think hs is "adult size" and will stay around this for some time. What is interesting to me is that his head appears to have gooten wider over the last year, rather than him getting longer. So, the proportions are changing more profoundly than the overall length. I mentioned this before but I think that mid/high-20" range is where most Mbu will end up at. There is maybe one Mbu I have seen a photo of that I could put at 30" but that is it. 30"+ gets tossed around on the web but I have yet to see hard, verifiable proof of one this size. The rest all seem to be in 20"+ range. Also, every photo of a wild Mbu I have ever seen is not any bigger than the above size range. Of course, that does not guarantee they don't get bigger, just that it would stanbd to reason that if they got A LOT bigger, you would see some caught at such a size.

When and if the day comes that he truly outgrwos this 300G, I'll just get a bigger tank.
geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer "tetraodon lineatus"
Location (country): Canada

Post by geronimo69 »

I've noticed the same thing about my Fahaka... He hasn't gotten longer lately, but seems to be gaining "girth" lol.

He's about 10" now, in a 150 gal. I've had him for about 2.5 years now. He was the size of a nickel when I bought him for $40.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
"Fish recognize a bad leader."
Conan O'Brien
RVS
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Currently:
2 T. Nigroviridis
20 C. Travancoricus.
Also Kept:
M. Abei
Other BF:
A hundred of Brackish P. Velifera & P. sphenops.
Pure Parambassis Ranga.
Location (country): Mexico lindo y querido!

Post by RVS »

Great post bro, great post, i love to see the process of the things, i simply love the aquarium and the puffer, and also your family! i liked so much the baby´s face lol

Greetings from mexico bro... about tank size, well i´ve heard different measure recommendations.
Let there be light, and lit up the days... Let there be puffers, and they swam around the world...
PuffGenesis, 1, 1.
E78704

Post by E78704 »

Saludos, RVS. ¿Donde estás en México?
RVS
Green Spotted Puffer
2 T. Nigroviridis
20 C. Travancoricus.
Also Kept:
M. Abei
Other BF:
Pure Parambassis Ranga.

Post by RVS »

Saludos camarada! right here, pero me mudare pronto 8)

https://maps.google.com.mx/maps?hl=es&q ... CB8Q8gEwAA
Let there be light, and lit up the days... Let there be puffers, and they swam around the world...
PuffGenesis, 1, 1.
E78704

Post by E78704 »

RVS wrote:Saludos camarada! right here, pero me mudare pronto 8)

https://maps.google.com.mx/maps?hl=es&q ... CB8Q8gEwAA
¡Que mundo pequenõ! Mi familia Mexicana vive en Zapopan, Colonia Seattle.

Saludos,

E.
RVS
Green Spotted Puffer
2 T. Nigroviridis
20 C. Travancoricus.
Also Kept:
M. Abei
Other BF:
Pure Parambassis Ranga.

Post by RVS »

En serio!! wow! vaya que es un mundo pequeño, mi casa esta a solo 1 hora de zapopan!
Ahora tu familia me gusta mucho mas aun!
PuffGenesis, 1, 1.