Alain la Vache

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
Mol
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Long Horned Cowfish
Blue Spot Puffer
Baby Porcupine Puffer
2 Colombian Shark Catfish
Location (country): US

Re: Alain la Vache

Post by Mol »

Thank you guys. Sorry, I guess I over reacted. I thought I had done something wrong. I didn't know what POTM meant. I certainly feel stupid now.

I know all the risks of cowfish, but I love them so much. I am prepared for all situations. Many years ago I had a boxfish that got upset and some of my fish showing signs of starting to die. I did an emergency 75% water change and saved the entire tank.
Mol
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Long Horned Cowfish
Blue Spot Puffer
Baby Porcupine Puffer
2 Colombian Shark Catfish
Location (country): US

Post by Mol »

RTR wrote: Adult cowfish are hefty and picky and can poison their own tank if harasses. And those horns on adults are proportionally much smaller than on the small ones. As with many family members, they need space and do offer risks to tankmates and themselves. Their branch of the family can dump their toxin. I don't know if adults tank reared from babies carry toxin. Most puffers lose their toxin in captivity, as the original source is from bacteria not found in tanks.
That is very interesting. I know quite a bit about the entire puff family (I love to do research) but was unaware of this.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I think but would not swear to it that they are only part of the family with the ability to release their toxin into the water.
Where's the fish? - Neptune