Fahaka hunting photos

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x Fahaka

Also kept:
2 x South American Puffers (SAP)
Location (country): Norway

Fahaka hunting photos

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

Some pics shared during this year's crayfish season ....all wounds and battle scars were healed very quickly.even though it looks dramatic...Freddy is going through a peaceful hunger month after having the hunts of his life eating like a desperate beast
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Re: Fahaka hunting photos

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

live food storage..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

some more
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wonderful shots!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Wow what a beast! How big? I was kinda bothered by that 3rd pic as it appears your Fahaka took a nasty pinch. Glad your puffer turned out okay though.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

The wounds look nasty too just after the pinch. Looks like the skin is deformed and twisted (the fear is open wounds), but it is normalized quickly. Then, there is dark colored bruise which last for a half or a full day. The skin seems very elastic and suited for handling incidents like these. However, there is always a risk of pinching the eye which of course is not good. Fortunately, the crayfish seem too stupid to figure it out...not like cats.

With regards to size, I believe he is at least 10 inches after getting him at 2 inches in November. I attached a picture of my hand holding a crayfish in front of him while he is chasing along the front glass creating tsunami waves to give you a better perspective of this crazy animal.

LOL: I had to lower the water level to avoid sudden water spills every time I pass his tank..when I run he also sometimes try to jump out so he is very much triggered by movements outside the tank. Luckily he is not triggered by my hands in the tank. During water change I actually have to physically push him gently towards his cave as he doesn't care and want to be where the action is. When catching him he swims into the bucket with no stress. A bit weird animal.

This link also shows how he methodogically kills crayfish after finally learning how to remove the claws:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31103
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Eventually, he WILL jump, if you don't cover that tank! :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

His Eheim tank has a high quality furniture top section making it impossible to jump out. The sound of the cover echoes well though. Water spill is avoided by lowering the water level, but it will be interesting to see when he grows beyond 10 inches. It looks like he enjoys building up waves. I am creating a heater guard too to avoid damage
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

There is no reason he shouldn't grow much larger than 10", if housed & cared for properly. How large is his tank?

Fahaka Fakka
Dwarf Puffer

Also kept:

Post by Fahaka Fakka »

The tank set-up (125 gallon 24 inches wide): • I have 2 intake houses on the right side and 1 one the left side of the aquarium connected to my external canister filter, Eheim Professional 3 XL 2080 (6.6 gallons canister volume, filter volume 3.43 gal, 450 gallons per hr ...) • The third intake hose is connected to a big Am-Top external filter E-AT 3338 (317 gallons per hour). That equates to a total of 767 gallons or 2905 liters per hour • Strong air pump for additional aeriation.

He seems to be enjoying the tank and is browsing all sections of the it looking for food everywhere. A photo of the tank is attached.
Darkling
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Louisiana

Post by Darkling »

my favorite puffer
what is popular is not always right and what is right is not always popular