6 Dwarf Puffs in a Pirate Tank

Share your puffer photos and videos with the world!
Forum rules
Showing off your puffer pals? Why not enter your photos into our Puffer of the Month contest?

Every month The Puffer Forum holds a photo contest featuring the puffers, burrfish, boxfish, tobies and other puffer family members photographed by members of this site. At the end of the year, the monthly winners will be entered into a Puffer of the Year contest! The POTY winner not only gets supreme bragging rights but also wins a $25 gift certificate to The Puffer Store.

Click HERE to learn how to join in this fun competition!
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

6 Dwarf Puffs in a Pirate Tank

Post by Pufftastic »

Hi! I'm new to puffers but not new to keeping fish (I've had fancy goldfish for many years). But I've been bitten by the puffer bug, and wanted to share my new buddies. I researched and decided freshwater was the way for me to go (keeping DPs is remarkably similar to keeping fancy goldfish so far -- they're both incredibly messy and need tons of filtration and large water changes). Dwarf puffers seemed like they'd be a perfect intro to the world of puffs.

My favorite LFS had 5 of the little buggers, which I thought would be perfect for my 29 gallon tank. When the owner was bagging them, she found a sixth scrawny little puffer hidden inside a cave. I just couldn't leave him there alone, so I said I'd take him too.

Being told to go nuts decorating a tank was like a dream come true. With goldfish, it's all about maximum swimming space. But for these puffs, I really let the kitschiness fly -- went with a full-on pirate theme with sunken ship (full of caves and hiding spots!), air-driven skeleton steering a ship's wheel, fearsome skull rock formation with hidey holes, and a couple of cichlid caves. Add garish gravel, fake plants and a bubble wand, and voila! The most wonderfully tacky tank imaginable. I'm pretty thrilled with it.

My six puffers are doing well so far. They're busy investigating their tank all the time (although when they see me watching, they beg for food). They're eating well and even gobbled some bloodworms on their very first day. I'm currently feeding them twice a day because of the skinny little guy (and a couple of the others look kind of scrawny, too, but are filling out nicely).

My fave is Scurvy, the largest of the group. I'm pretty sure he's a male -- he has a bright yellow belly and what I think are the beginning of some wrinkles behind his eyes.

Scurvy

I think I'm seeing wrinkles here, yes?

One of the other 5.

The Pirate Puffer Tank. YAARRRRRRR!

Skinny little guy. He eats well and is active, so I hope he makes it.

Just chillin'.

I really look forward to being a member of this forum -- I've learned so much already and am spending way too much time on here reading. Is it wrong that I already have a long list of puffers I MUST have in my lifetime? :lol:
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: 6 Dwarf Puffs in a Pirate Tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Great new family you have there! Yes, I see the wrinkles too. Thanks for the great macro shots.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

They could probably use a good deworming too, especially the little one as many come with IPs. There's some articles in the library.

Congratulations on the new additions!
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

+1 on wrinkles and deworming.

Lovely fish! And I love the theme! You might want to add some extra plants and such to keep them occupied and prevent territory disputes, but it's looking great.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What is that black pipe on the top left of the tank? Can a puffer get sucked into it?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

That's the filter outflow. The tank has a Rena XP2 canister (300 gph), and that's the jet nozzle. I was worried that there would be too much current for the DPs, but they really seem to like it.

Thanks for all the kind words on my pics! I love having a place to share them.

More plants? Really? This uberdecorating is going to take some getting used to. Well, good excuse to hit the LFS! 8)
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

OK, good--I was hoping the flow was out, not in.

Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Definitely more plants. You can still see the fish and the back of the tank :lol:
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I love those close-ups of your puffers, and you've got blueys too! (Love them blueys). :D
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
L!$A
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Fahaka - Nala
Congo - Baloo
Arrowhead - Yzma

R.I.P
Kaleeko - Mbu Puffer
Milly - Fangs Puffer
Location (country): CANADA

Post by L!$A »

ARRR me matey ur tank looks grreat! haha
& Cute close-ups!! :D
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Some of those should be in the next PTOM!!
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Post by Brandon8521 »

+1