Your biggest DUHHHH moment (relating to fish)

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
Radioactive
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Canthigaster solandri
Location (country): NY USA

Your biggest DUHHHH moment (relating to fish)

Post by Radioactive »

So yeah I put Broccolli in my snail breeding tank the other day and they were all over it. Today my room smelt bad and when I took a whiff of my snail tank.....peeeeeuuuwwww!!! Then I went DUHHH of course its gonna smell with 3 day old broccoli in it. I am certainly one of those people with a sensative nose but was wondering everyone elses DUHH moments. Thanks for sharing
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: Your biggest DUHHHH moment (relating to fish)

Post by Arny »

Most annoying thing I've done is emptying my fish tank and leaving the heater switched on. And then having the heater explode when I add the cold water back (and what's even more annoying than that is I've done the same thing twice).
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Rearranged decor, my favourite eel (very curious) explored the "new" tank... I forgot to put the lid on again, next morning I found it dead on the floor... that sucked hard.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Wat back in the 1960s (yes, I was around then) I believed a LFS that GSPs were FW and social with their own kind and loved snails. So I bought a smallish tank, set it FW, and tossed in all the excess snails from my Cichlid rearing tanks.

Can you say stunted GSPs? They never grew at all. I learned better and traded them off in embarrassment ~9 years later.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Radioactive
Puffer Fry

Post by Radioactive »

Yeah I have done the heater thing several times throughout my years of fish keeping.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

Post by goldielocke76 »

I was emptying my 60 gallon to upgrade to my 90 gallon tank. I told myself to unplug the heater before taking it out of the tank, so I did. I then proceeded to put the LR in a bin of water while I was setting everything else up. I put a koralia in the bin, and plugged it in...or so I thought. As I was looking around to see what needed to be done next, I started to smell something burning. I freaked out, thinking I had maybe left the stove on? And belatedly realized that it wasn't the koralia that I plugged in, but the heater, which was laying on my carpet. Needless to say, I have a heater shaped burn mark in my rug, and the heater cracked. I was so mad at myself LoL. It's in an apartment too.
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Lol, not good. I have burnt myself on heaters but not the floor. My biggest issue is smashing tanks, I have accidentally smashed quite a few.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Radioactive
Puffer Fry

Post by Radioactive »

Oh man there goes your security deposit !!! lol thanks for sharing that one
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Arny wrote:Most annoying thing I've done is emptying my fish tank and leaving the heater switched on. And then having the heater explode when I add the cold water back (and what's even more annoying than that is I've done the same thing twice).
Ya, I've done that one too. I now keep all the fish related plugs on a separate power strip by itself so I can just flip one switch and have everything shutoff. Seems to be keeping my heaters safe for now.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I only buy Jager heaters that turn off when out of water.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

Boy did I just have a DUHHH moment. Did a WC on my BBG tank and then moved on to do the same and refill my DP tank and while pumping water back into that tank from my vessel I decided to add a powerhead to my F8 tank. The F8 tank also has some celebes rainbowfish and I felt like they needed more current. Anways, I decided to put that powerhead on the timer with the lights so it would be calm at lights out. While doing this I had to shut off my canister filter, and it would not start back up when powered up. The impeller has been loose for some time and it just had enough. I am one of those people that have at least one a spare of every part, but not an impeller at this time.

Any way it is 8:30 and I hurry up to call the lfs to see if they have one...They told me $24 so I jumped online to see if Petsmart had it in hopes they were cheaper...Stores close at 9...Then I heard it in the fish room...I forgot I was pumping water in my 29g DP tank and it was spooing over the top... I rushed in, grabbed the hose and crimped to stop flow, then I shut of the pump and just let some of the water in the tank flow back in the vessel. I cleaned most of the water up and rushed to the LFS.

Got back and the new impeller was so much tighter than the old one. I should never had let it get that bad. If the store had closed before I got there I would've had to plumb a pump temporally inline with my canister.

...So to recap DUHHH or TL;DR...Didn't replace extremely worn impeller and let another tank over fill everywhere with little time to get to the lfs to buy overpriced replacement impeller.

* *edit* *

Just ordered more impellers from Petsmart at $5 each for Fluval 4 series canisters...The Fluvals wouldn't have been my first choice but got all of mine for next to nothing. I got 3 impellers and an extra "Aqua Stop Valve" for $25 inluding shipping. Not a huge fan of Petsmart but the price cannot be beat. http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.js ... uval&fbx=0
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

Post by goldielocke76 »

Radioactive wrote:Oh man there goes your security deposit !!! lol thanks for sharing that one

LoL I have learned a few tricks myself after being in an apartment for a year or so. ;)

I just need to get the carpet nails and a piece of sample carpeting and all will be good....LOL
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

Sometimes you get such good ideas, which turn out are actually really, really thoughtless. I bought a 30 G tank for almost nothing at all, and came home sooo satisfied. A few days later I started to set the thing up. This was in the winter, and I had a bucket of sand in my car. That sand was wet, and it all had frozen into one solid block. I didn't realize that before I tried to take some of that sand and put in the new, empty tank. And so the very good idea: It will take time for the wet sand to melt. What if I set the bucket upside down in the tank? Then the sand can fall into the tank as it melts. I turned the bucket upside down, and there was a bang with a large crash, as the whole frozen content of the bucket landed on the bottom of the tank. :redface: Yes, my new, almost free tank broke. And I felt very, very stupid. :notimpressed:
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

More stories in this topic.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin