Some Days I Just Feel Like Giving Up

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Re: Some Days I Just Feel Like Giving Up

Post by Flutter »

What a shame. I wouldn't have thought that that would have happened. I don't think any of us would have seen that coming. Maybe something spooked it. I'm sure the remaining loach would appreciate another buddy, regardless of the size difference :) They're very social and it's not fair to leave it alone.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Lil' Swimz$
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Lorteti - Peaches
Location (country): USA

Post by Lil' Swimz$ »

I feel ya, today my light fixture for my 29 gallon fell in the tank and shattered the bulb and the vase. Now the plants have to go on light strike for weeks maybe :(
Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPpppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Flutter wrote:What a shame. I wouldn't have thought that that would have happened. I don't think any of us would have seen that coming. Maybe something spooked it. I'm sure the remaining loach would appreciate another buddy, regardless of the size difference :) They're very social and it's not fair to leave it alone.

Yes they are lovely little critters. I will have to see about getting some more, maybe 2 or 3 so that they won't feel so vulnerable being small and can hang together. I've removed the PVC tube and it won't be going back into the tank for fear that the other loach might get stuck. The Fire eel has other things he can get inside of without any chance of anyone getting stuck.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

do you have a sand substrate?

Mine used to love to live in its little plastic cave when I had gravel. Once I moved it to another tank, it got all excited and jumped the tanks a few times. Lastly, I put it is a tank with a sand bottom and it used to bury itself in that. I don't think it needs a cave per say.

Yes they are very social and like to be in groups but I had mine for a long time as a soloist. IT would swim to the top of the tank knowing it was feeding time too :)
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Yes, I do have a sand substrate and the remaining one, the flesh coloured one (it's not really "white", and it's not albino) does bury himself. I used to wonder if I had one female and one male by the way they would cuddle -- but how do you tell?

They remind me of water puppies. I know I've said that about puffers and puffers do have the personality of puppies sometimes ... but the weather loaches actually LOOK like puppies to me. They have those cute little beady eyes and their whiskers move when they breathe. Really sad that the other one had to meet such an untimely end because we've had those 2 way longer than before I started keeping puffers.

Even though you've said you kept yours as a singleton J-P, mine is used to having his friend around, and I will probably try to get another just for that reason. There's D I C K I E (I had to spell it out that way, otherwise it was changed to "turtledove", I suppose admin feels that word is naughty, but in this case it's a name), the fire eel in that tank, but I don't know if he would appreciate the cuddling that the weather loach seems to enjoy doing. So I will be on the look out for another, or maybe 2.
soggydrysuit
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 2x T.fluviatilis
1x C. irrubesco
2 x T. nigroviridis
1 x T. ocellatus
Current non-puffers:

Enough for people to think I'm a loonie :-)
Location (country): UK

Post by soggydrysuit »

A friend of mine has one full grown weather loach in his pond but it's not seen very often. Usually only when he does maintenance on this outdoor uk pond.

It's about 40cm long...! Well over a foot in length anyway...

Do you think they would nibble Oranda fany goldie tails?

Weather loaches would probably do very well in my outside pond, being UK native - there are some Rudd and Orfe in there along with the carp.

Maybe a Garra or so instead for the fancy goldie tank - I like those too. I have cold water and high flow in there. White clouds would be goldie fish food and rosy barbs would probably nip or disturb the fancies. Dunno, just a Garra maybe...?
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I would find it hard to believe that a weather loach would be nasty towards any other fish .... but I don't know that for sure, just my thinking about them because they look so innocent. :)