eat fish???

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
ironbone
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1xgsp---Puff-N-Stuff
Location (country): north america

eat fish???

Post by ironbone »

how many of fish keepers eat fish?maybe not a puffer,mollie...but do you indulge?is that wrong or.....myself i love shrimp calamari catfish,justnotsynondontis lol.would it be different if we kept blue gills, perch salmon.just wandering if peoples train of thought changed by keeping certain fish
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: eat fish???

Post by Pufferpunk »

I eat shrimp & lobster but dislike the taste of fish. I haven't eaten mammals in about 4 1/2 years.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Post by Brandon8521 »

Seafood is probably my favorite food of all (even over the nice steak.) I grew up next to the ocean and was allways fishing and eating right out of the sea.
ironbone
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by ironbone »

ok you eat lobster.say someone wanted to go puffer fishing???!!!could you or would you..
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

Personally I would not, but only because of there toxicity. I dont get a kick out of eating something that could kill me, I dont care who prepares it. I have tried some stuff others would frown upon when I was overseas and can easily distinguish, in my own mind, animals that are pets and animals that unluckely fall under the food category (even if its the same kind of animal just different reasons for breeding.) I dont think im coldhearted for this I just look at it as it being natural.
ironbone
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by ironbone »

i always feel guilty when i slurp down catfish filets ,come home feed my watery friends..why dont i feel guilty when i eat beef or hog or chicken?
Mezzovex
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Dib the Fahaka
Location (country): United States, Oregon

Post by Mezzovex »

I love fish. I also really like clams and shrimp also. Seafood is one of my favorites.

When i first got my tank, i thought that it would be awesome to keep a couple rainbow trout in it. then eat t hem when they became big enough! :D
Tanks I currently own:

125g freshwater tank w\ 30g sump, 840gph pump, ocean clear canister filter,
20" fire eel, and Dib the Fahaka

55g freshwater tank w\ Magnum 330 filter
Tigger the South American Puffer

5.5g nano saltwater tank
Clean up crew + coral + a strawberry dottyback
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

I don't see anything wrong with eating seafood, or fish, and being a fishkeeper. However, I do believe that some animals were meant as food and some were not. I'm sure other people will disagree with me. But for instance ... I just don't think it's right to eat cats, dogs and horses. They were not designed to be a food source. I don't have anything to back that up, other than it's just my feeling, and it's not right.

When I was a kid my father caught some puffers (out of the Chesapeake Bay) and we'd laugh when they'd puff up. But he would always throw them back. I could not and would not participate in someone hunting them either for sport or for food.
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

I have no problem eating whatsoever animal (although mostly I eat plants to >90%), however I respect those who don't want to eat some or all animals.

ppg: With regard to horses... wild ones were the primary prey of our European ancestors during and between the ice ages. Without horses I guess Europe would not have colonized so early. Horses being eaten by humans has many thousands or rather tenthousands of years tradition, if that does not mean that they are meant to be human food by nature... wild horses were a pretty good food source, at least better than deer.

I also see no problem with people eating dogs (we have a dog, too). What we see as OK to eat is dictated by the way we were raised, by our culture. Therefore a Chinese or an Indian will totally disagree with the way we see dogs and cattle. And they are not more right or wrong than we are.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
sparks42
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffer named Chomper!

Post by sparks42 »

I don't like seafood.

I think it would be funny if I liked raw shrimp, then I could share a meal with my puffer - I mean how cool would that be ??
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I am an omnivore. I eat land and aquatic vertebrates and invertebrates as well as plant materials and daily products.

I also agree that that food preferences are cultural. That is training and indoctrination, not inherent in the potential food.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Tigerlilly
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 New F8 :) - No name
Location (country): England

Post by Tigerlilly »

I dont really like any seafood, I'll eat a few types of fish like tuna and cod but nothing else.. and those have to be fresh with no bones or anything.
I don't eat much meat either.
pufferpuggirl
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Puffs & Stuff:

1 x M Abei
1 x M Turgidus
1 x T Palembangensis
1 x M Baileyii
1 x T Schoutedeni
1 x T Leiurus
1 x T Miurus
Rainbow crab
crayfish
Location (country): Yorkshire, GB

Post by pufferpuggirl »

Corvus -- I understood when I wrote that about horses, cats and dogs that there are other cultures that see those animals as a regular food source, and I also understand that how I was brought up has alot to do with how I see food. I guess I should have stated my comment differently. I just don't feel comfortable thinking about horses, cats and dogs being eaten as food and for me, it's just not right.

Sorry if I offended any one with my comment, that was not my intention. :)
"Puffer .... man's best friend?"
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Brandon8521 »

I definitaly agree that it all depends on the persons outlook as to what is ok to eat and what is not. I would never have looked at dog as a food source untill i went to South Korea. Growing up my dad had allways raised chickens (for eggs not the meat itself since it tends to be alot tougher then store baught) aswell as rabits for food. So in my mind if its raised to be eaten then i dont have a problem eating it (plus i like to explore other cultures foods.) I dont take offense to others opinions on what they eat and I'm more then happy to try vertually anything. It all depends on your willingness to explore different pallets.
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

I went almost 6 years without seafood. But since my divorce seafood is my fav food. Im not eating my fish so why should i feel bad
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.