eat fish???

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
Brandon8521
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Usa

Re: eat fish???

Post by Brandon8521 »

Mezzovex wrote:I love fish. I also really like clams and shrimp also. Seafood is one of my favorites.

When i first got my tank, i thought that it would be awesome to keep a couple rainbow trout in it. then eat t hem when they became big enough! :D
A buddy of mine has a small pond he keeps stocked with bluegill and crappy; his kids go out and feed the fish everyday (so they could be considered pets.) We also fish the pond every few months for a nice fish fry. So in a sence its like haveing a really big outside tank that fish are kept as pets and food. :D I plan on building a nice sized pond when I get a yard big enough to do it.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

I also eat fish but hate the bones :( I usually keep to larger species if I can. Shrimp, squid, octopus, lobster .. all de-lish! Oysters, clams and muscles.. don't get me started.. I'll clean out the restaurant!
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

ppg: certainly no offense taken by me. Just wanted to present a different look on the "dogs and horses are no food" thing by stating that horses were THE food source in older times.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

haven't tried dog.. horse was really good!

Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

I don't eat fish because I find it tastes disgusting but I don't have a problem with it.

While I love my pets I wouldn't be offended in any way if someone else chose to eat the same species. It's life. I think that cows and horses are adorable but it's ok if people want to eat them.

JP, if you're eating horse (especially locally) please do remember that there are absolutely no regulations on horse meat. You really have no idea what you're eating. Just because of that I would never eat horse that came from unknown origins, way too risky.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

it was not locally .. it was over seas .. Locally it is not available and I have read horror stories about the treatment of them here prior to slaughter.

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I had a friend who was Cuban (pre-Castro - remember my age bracket). They raised horses. Their fiestas always included young colts/fillies as the main dish. He considered it far superior to beef, but I have not had it myself.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Flutter
Former Staff Member

Post by Flutter »

Mhm. I've heard it can be very tender and sweet.

Poor horses though :lol: Life and death can be so cruel and unfair.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

by far better than beef. When we moved to Canada we were looking at adopting a horse from a rescue farm. I read about all the horses going to slaughter.. oddly enough the meat is not available. I thought that was strange. Maybe dog / cat food?

My wife did freak out when she saw a rabbit in our grocery store that the owner decided to get in for Easter ... LOL!! how sadistic is that?

Flutter
Former Staff Member

Post by Flutter »

Nope, it's all shipped to Europe and Japan. Much too expensive to go into pet food. I don't think it passes the rules and regulations to be sold here.
Charles Darwin
GreenSpottedPuffer
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: I am my own puffer. I do not possess a "name" in any sense a person would find comprehensible. My identity to another of my kind is not even individual as you understand it; in the semiotics of puffer fish interaction, indices are the only connection between the signifier and the signified - how does a consciousness working as described have a place for a name? I am identified by my bulk, territory, hormone releases (including for breeding), as well as my current body language.
Location (country): I prefer not to be too specific on such a detail. A puffer must be careful.
My kind are well known to be exported from the tropics of Asia to locations across the globe.
Location: Consider - I may be in your very aquarium right now!

Post by GreenSpottedPuffer »

Not my staple cuisine, for the most part, but there is the occasional indulgence. A handful of times a season either a fry or a fish so small it's hardly more than one will mistake my careful movements and fail to flee in time. A fine bite sized treat, but too rich, I fear I'd eat myself right into organ failure were they more frequently on the menu.

Of course, I should mention my forays into tasty bits of finnage. It's not really eating fish, in the sense a human would understand, but it can be really difficult to resist just taking a bite or two when a larger fish with tasty, soft finnage moves past. On the whole it isn't nearly as rich as small fry, but then, it's not as rare a treat.
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

My dad has had horse when he was over seas in the navy, he also said that horse tasted great. My mom tried it too but once she knew it was she no longer liked it LOL
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
Ohyouknow
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Vicious (T. Lineatus - Fahaka)
Location (country): Indiana, USA.

Post by Ohyouknow »

I like tuna, but I don't eat fish otherwise. Just not a fan.

Crab legs are ok, if I'm in the mood, same with lobster and other sea critters (like calamari). I LOVE shrimp.

Best surprise food I ever had was chocolate dipped grasshoppers. My uncle brought them from Japan (or China... One of those places.)

Worst surprise food: Boiled peanuts. *shivver* ew.
Happiness comes through doors you didn't even know you left open.
crystalmelly
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by crystalmelly »

I love seafood. Whenever we went to Washington state to visit my grandparents we always had fresh. However it never seems to taste the same when I make it. I am not offended by other people eating different animals. I have 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 2 GSPs, 1 leaf fish and a couple others in my freshwater tank. I tried rabbit when I was in France and thought it had the same texture as ham. I think the difference is how the animals are raised. I cannot imagine eating any of my animals for food, but in a different country I would have to consider trying something like horse, dog, or cat. It would be an experience just to have something like that available to consider.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Are your puffers in a separate tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"