Above ground pool, super cheap craigslist find

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): USA

Above ground pool, super cheap craigslist find

Post by Mek0ng »

I found a 10' round pool, 30" deep for $100 with filter and everything. Please talk me out of getting it lol It just barley fits in my back yard.

http://www.intexcorp.com/easy10x30.htm

I so want it but its so ugly and unpractical but still it would be sooooo cool to have my own pool.

Help!

:kingkrazy:
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Stars & stripes

Re: Above ground pool, super cheap craigslist find

Post by jdak »

I got a 15' wide, 42" deep for $100 on craigslist. I never set it up last year because it was over 4000 gallons. Thats more water than i use in a month including my aquariums. Not saying its a bad deal but mine was a better deal. :lol: What does it come with? Mine came with filter, pump, pool itself, and a repair kit. Some have ladders, covers, solar covers, a tarp for underneath, surface skimmers, and other stuff. I've looked in the stores at all the addons. They look cool. I might setup mine next year to teach my kid to swim. Check this video....
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SuWqpMhANZ4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SuWqpMhANZ4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
I believe this pool is the 18' wide, 48" deep. If you have a divot in your yard, you can make them deeper in the middle.
Check out my puffer, video, and tanks @ jdak.net.
46g reef
150g FO
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by jdak »

On second thought, maybe you should talk down the price... found this

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Foot-Inch-P ... B00005BPJR
46g reef
150g FO
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

Mek0ng wrote:I found a 10' round pool, 30" deep for $100 with filter and everything. Please talk me out of getting it lol It just barley fits in my back yard.

http://www.intexcorp.com/easy10x30.htm

I so want it but its so ugly and unpractical but still it would be sooooo cool to have my own pool.

Help!

:kingkrazy:
For $100?? just get it and enjoy it while you can. BTW.. I saw a guy in the Philippines turn one of those into an indoor pond :P
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community
20g snail and shrimp breeding tank for puffers
Location (country): USA USA USA USA

Post by SammyDee »

those things look like theyd tear easy
"DREAM AS IF YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS IF YOU'L DIE TODAY' -JAMES DEAN
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

they do...

no pets allowed in them

jdak
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by jdak »

I was impressed how thick mine is actually. They have a bigger chance of tearing on the bottom. That is why they sell a tarp.
46g reef
150g FO
Mek0ng
Fahaka Puffer

Post by Mek0ng »

My backyard has only 12'x20' of flat space, so this thing is going to take up a huge amount of space, my girlfriend is not to happy that she wont really be able to get to some of her plants, I told her she could just sit in the pool and trim them LOL

The one you linked has a clear ring, cheaper plastic, easier to bust, here is the one I am looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/10-30-Easy-Set-Po ... 980&sr=1-2

here is the posting:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/1741802259.html

I cant believe I am actually considering this! :roflmfao: I asked for you guys to talk me out of it! :goodevil:
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 55g (2) GSP, (2) Maroon Clownfish, (1) blue damsel, And some soft corals and 1 Nem
45g FW community

Post by SammyDee »

I think Id like to build my own underground pool someday. It cant be that hard. Excavate then either stone or cement around the inside or lower an above ground pool into the hole leaving it about a foot above ground level and build a deck around it.
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

Mek0ng wrote:My backyard has only 12'x20' of flat space, so this thing is going to take up a huge amount of space, my girlfriend is not to happy that she wont really be able to get to some of her plants,

She can swim with the lilies and wisteria ;) LOL!!!

jdak
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by jdak »

In ground pools shoot your property tax up. I'm sure Mek has heard that being from california where they go way up. California was actually using Google maps to catch people cheating on their taxes about that. Having a temporary pool, you could get away with it. I'm not sure about the HP on my pump but i heard an upgrade is almost a must so it is good it has an upgraded pump, surface skimmer, and a cover. I hear the solar covers can make it feel like a jacuzzi although that promotes algae growth. Sounds like a good deal. My pool alone in the bag weights about 100lbs so it is durable material.
46g reef
150g FO
SammyDee
Mbu Puffer
45g FW community

Post by SammyDee »

Lol I just saw that on the news in Detroit about Cali using google to catch ppl. So dumb. Shows how much the system lacks they have to resort to other ppl hard work to rip it off from google cuz they're lazy
jdak
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by jdak »

Their was a pool in our back yard when we moved into our house last year. The assessor had to mark it on our property even know it was in swamp condition. It didn't work and it was nasty so we took it out to save money.
46g reef
150g FO
danneva

Post by danneva »

I have decided to build above ground pool than inground pool because of some reasons.
Price – Above ground swimming pools are far more economical option than a pool that is installed in the ground. The price of an above ground pool, however, can vary considerably based on such factors such as the size, materials, functionality and manufacturer so you will still have a wide price range to choose from. But no matter what type of above ground swimming pool you choose, you can be sure that it will far less expensive than any inground pool.
Space – if you are short of space in your yard, any type of above ground pool will take up less space than an inground pool. If you’re really short on space, there are even inflatable above ground swimming pools that can just be blown up when you want to splash around and can be deflated and stored away when you’re not in a swimming mood. Since I don’t have enough space in my yard, above ground swimming pool was the best choice for me.
Flexibility – when you make a decision to install an inground, you will have the pool as long as you live in your home, even when you tire of the maintenance or no longer want to use it. When you are no longer in need of above ground pools, they are easily disassembled and removed.
Maintenance - above ground swimming pools require much less maintenance than those in the ground. They need to occasionally have the water topped off, will need to be skimmed if debris gets in them, and will require chlorine or other cleaning treatments if the water remains between uses, but they will not require the extensive maintenance that inground pools require. And lastly the..
Installation – above ground pool installation is a snap compared with inground versions. In some cases installation can take a few days at most, compared to weeks of intensive construction for inground pools.

There is nothing like having a pool to enjoy in your own backyard. Pools offer loads of fun and a great way to cool off on a hot day. Before you get your swimming pool, there are some things you should think about before you decide what kind of pool you want to install.
Last edited by danneva on Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
J-P
Former Staff Member

Post by J-P »

danneva

very well said! Welcome to the forum!

The problem I had with my above ground was that it was not insulated and lost its temp far too quickly for my liking :( As soon as the sun was out of sight we were freezing.