Thoughts about shy GSP

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish
Location (country): USA, New Mexico

Re: Thoughts about shy GSP

Post by PufferMe! »

Okay, all. Thanks. I'll be buying some fake silk plants.

Gwen

Life is a sum of all your choices - Albert Camus
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

You can buy driftwood, rocks, caves, plants and everything pretty cheap if you just look around at different places. Drsfostersmith.com has sales on these items quite often. You can also use ceramic plant pots from the dollar store and such.

Also, don't hand feed him. You're just asking for an injury there. Green spotted puffers can grow to be 6 inches, and you don't want that biting you.

Use feeding tongs.

Also, start looking around craigslist for an upgrade tank. You need 30 gallons minimum and the puffer would love a 55g to itself. =]

Oh, and try to avoid wearing red and pink. Go for more natural colors like green and brown. For some reason brighter colors like red and pink seem to startle puffers.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: One green spotted puffer in 70 gallon, marine tank. Soon to add 3 yellow tail damselfish

Post by PufferMe! »

Funny, I rarely wear red and pink. I may just have a shy puffer. All fish do have their own little personalities. :)

I put the silk plants in during the water change. I put them on the side he more often hangs out on, and of course, he than switched to the other side. I saw him early this morning on the side with the plants. When I got home, he's on the other side. Still doesn't swim to the glass to meet me, but we're making progress.

I'm looking for a 55-60 tank. What people have on CL is usually such junk, all filled with calcium deposits etc. May have to ask for it for Christmas. LOL. He will be upgraded though. I actually have driftwood, but I choose not to put that in, to keep my ph from going down. If getting a picture on this site wasn't so difficult, I'd post an updated one. My husband has to do "make pictures smaller" because I have no idea how to make a jpeg file smaller.

Gwen

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Lol I often struggle with resizing too, I normally make them far too small to see properly
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

PufferMe! wrote:I'm looking for a 55-60 tank. What people have on CL is usually such junk, all filled with calcium deposits etc.
Both vinegar, and apple cider vinegar and a sponge will get rid of calcium deposits and other build ups.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
PufferMe!
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by PufferMe! »

Just to update you all. It was like overnight he became much less shy. After every water change, it set him back on any gains he made. But, Saturday, did a water change, he didn't even hide during it. Salinity is now at 1.010. He is out and about and comes to me at the glass. I did add more tall lines with plants, but that didn't work immediately. I think it just shows there is hope for a shy puffer. Poor thing had to leave his old life in the wild (kind of sad) behind at get used to a whole new scary world. He looks like he's made the shift, and seems happy. I'm currently looking for a 55 gallon, as he is growing pretty fast. I'm thrilled he's out and about, because I did feel bad for him.

Gwen

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

On the plus side, with proper feeding and care, his life in captivity will be far longer and easier than his life in the wild.
Where's the fish? - Neptune