puffer plan

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
pirasha
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Pa, USA

puffer plan

Post by pirasha »

Hi! so I joined a while ago..and sadly haven't been back in a while due to a lot of moving around and the lack of a possibility of a tank :( However..hopefully a stable living arrangement will be soon..and thus the plotting of the tank has begun! woooo ^_^

So my plan is to have a 10 gallon tank, fully planted...which I have already..sort of..my sister is taking care of it...and she's trying but also runs a lot so I'm going to have to do a bit of work to it once it's back in my hands...but once that's awesome again I plan on having it to breed snails and cherry and/or ghost shrimp. Then I want to have my 20 gallon tank as a planted tank, and once that is fully established get some dwarf puffers in there ^_^

Sorry about the bit of a ramble, I haven't had a tank in ages and it's really bugging me >_< so I'm getting really excited! Also I want to really get involved in the forum..because really everyone here is so very awesome...annnd this is going more into a greeting post...sorry...*cough* so dwarf puffers...so I'm thinking about breeding the snails and shrimp in the 10 gallon there, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to do this? for some reason my snail population has never really taken off, I mean I've always had a few in my tank but I'm worried about not having enough for a plentiful puffer food source. I was also wondering about the cherry shrimp...I imagine puffers will love these guys right? I've heard they are a little heartier then ghosties, which I've never had do too well. I mean they don't need to be a food source, just thought it might me a nice treat for the puffers every once in a while if I get a good population going.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: puffer plan

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

you will probably have trouble if you try to breed the shrimp and snails together. It works for some people and not so much for others.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Sounds like a plan :grats:
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
pirasha
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Pa, USA

Post by pirasha »

okay so what I'm thinking now is to have a nice planted tank for just cherry shrimp that way I can try my hand at a planted tank and restrain the itch to go and buy a f8 the first chance I get...also because shrimp are quite a riot to watch and are pretty awesome themselves. Then I am thinking about putting a super low maintenance tank in the cabinet under the planted tank (out of sight). No gravel in that one, just a small heater, filter, and some Ramshorn snails so they can do their thing. I'm thinking about just putting a cheap cabinet light in the cabinet so the snails aren't always in the dark (I feel like it would decrease the reproduction and livespan of the snails). This way I can get a good system for food for Mr. Puffer before he comes along. So for those of you who breed snails what is your snail breeder set up?
Radioactive
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Canthigaster solandri
Location (country): NY USA

Post by Radioactive »

My current set up is a 10g with cheap HOB filter and marineland LED hood (not needed). This tank was originally going to be a dwarf puffer tank but I ended up buying a F8 then a bunch of other stuff like new home 29G, Filter,tub for mixing water,powerhead , garden hose, thingy that hooks up to my sink and attaches to hose for water changes, Built a stand (father in law is carpenter) made my own decor (slate caves) got some malaysian driftwood.....see where this is going? lol .This forum has been a lifesaver and the people here are amazing. Sorry i am rambling...back to the snails. 10G is more then enough just feed them lettace, carrots, whatever left over veggies you have and they will thrive. Pond snails are Asexual and breed like mad once the tank is well established. If you do use a HOB filter make SURE you cover the inlet pipe with some pre filter sponge or something like that so they dont get sucked up or stuck to the inlet and die. Clean the gravel and do partial water changes on a weekly basis. also remember the more algae you grow/ the more they eat/ the more they reproduce. I also had a bunch of slate in the tank that they seemed to love to stay on. according to your profile I think it said you live in PA and you should have slate naturally in the woods. Make sure you take proper cleaning methods before putting it in your tank of course. also remember that Mosquito larvae eat snail poop so if you dont want these in your tank make sure you have good water circulation. I know some people who like the larvae and feed them to there fish. To me this is too risky as i am scared of what they may carry.