SW QT

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

SW QT

Post by goldielocke76 »

hey there,

I am in the middle of trying to set up a SW QT for my new fish, and I just changed 90% of the water, and I am still reading 20ppm nitrates???????? I have an AC 110 filter on a 20 gallon tank (for flow) and all I have in there is the biomedia and sponge. This is super frustrating, so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: SW QT

Post by bertie 83 »

Does this tank have live rock? The filter media is possibly causing this but would need a little more info to be sure. If you have live rock bin the filter contents and use it purely for flow. They tend to be nitrate factories in s/w. how's things?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

bertie 83 wrote:Does this tank have live rock? The filter media is possibly causing this but would need a little more info to be sure. If you have live rock bin the filter contents and use it purely for flow. They tend to be nitrate factories in s/w. how's things?

No LR, this is strictly a smaller tank to put new fish in to observe for a few weeks, and deworm, and to boost their immune system before going in the DT. It has two black coffee mugs in it for caves, and two big pieces of PVC. I had ich (I know it's crypt, I use ich because it's faster to type) in my tank that killed off about 4 of my small fish before I left on vacation, so I don't want to set this new tank up, with fish, then have one get sick, then damage the entire tank.

From reading online, you are supposed to be able to use the filter with just the sponge, but I went and set it up with the biomedia =( I was on autopilot and not even thinking about it, so now I am afraid that if I take it out, it will cause the tank to cycle all over again.

Nitrates are still at about 10ppm, and it was BRAND NEW WATER. Like, I mixed it, it mixed for about 6 hours (using Salinity) put it in the tank and did a reading and BAM! Nitrates! Ugh, it's so frustrating. I just want to feed them, get them fat and happy, boost their immune system and get them into the DT lol.
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Maybe your tap water has high nitrate readings. Have you tried testing it straight from the tap?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

+1 . And to add; you type ich cos it's quicker then explain the crypt thing lmao that tickled me.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

bertie 83 wrote:+1 . And to add; you type ich cos it's quicker then explain the crypt thing lmao that tickled me.

Well, yeah, I thought about that after I was doing it, but then left it anyways, just because I don't want people to think that I don't know the difference lol.

Also, does it matter about nitrate readings if I have never had a problem before? I can keep nitrates < 5ppm on my FW tanks with weekly water changes. That's why I am scratching my head at the readings I am getting in the SW tank. Water change should = less nitrates, but man, feels like I am fighting an uphill battle. Guess I'll test the nitrate readings in my water sometime today. I'm kind of vegging after having a crappy day yesterday. Everything that could go wrong, went wrong yesterday, including having a nice hole in my carpet from an aquarium heater, and then losing the heater.

The fish definitely seem happier in the smaller tank. I have seen them come out much more now, than they did in the bigger tank. They must feel more secure.

bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Your fresh water tanks have plants in don't they? There's your answer if they do.
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Oh and sorry you've been having a crappy time. It will get better
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

bertie 83 wrote:Your fresh water tanks have plants in don't they? There's your answer if they do.

Nope. Neither PZ's tank or Luau's tank have plants.

bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Hmm, that's odd. Have you tried a different marine mix? Or test the tap water, then the mixed s/w before adding. Ah cannisters etc act as nitrate factories on s/w tanks. 10ppm is acceptable tho, as irritating as it is it is still ok
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Well, yeah, I thought about that after I was doing it, but then left it anyways, just because I don't want people to think that I don't know the difference lol.
If you don't want folks to think you don't know the difference, use the correct word. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"