Need help deciding on a puffer

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
kv2wr1
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Need help deciding on a puffer

Post by kv2wr1 »

Hi All,

I have a 180g that will be going up soon and I need help choosing a puffer. I currently have 2 Australian black & white ocellaris clowns in my 75g quarantine that will be the first ones in the 180 after it has been cycled and mature enough for fish. Once the clowns are in I'll be looking at a puffer.

I'm debating between a dogface or a porcupine. I need a puffer that would be ok with the clowns. The clowns can hold their own as they have killed a royal gramma when they were in a 40 breeder. They chased him into a vortech as it was getting to rev up in reef crest mode and the gramma got decapitated. They are more like miniture orcas than clowns. They beat up a full grown coral beauty pretty bad too as well as a sixline wrasse. The other fish that I'm looking to get will be a yellow tang and either a bluethroat or red tail trigger.

Any suggestions for a puffer?

Thanks in Advance.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: Need help deciding on a puffer

Post by Arny »

Personally I'd get rid of the clowns as it sounds like they will attack anything. Dogface puffers are very timid and the clowns would stress it out
kv2wr1
Puffer Fry

Post by kv2wr1 »

I can't get rid of them. I have raised them since they were babies. If anything I would set up a separate tank for them.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict

Post by Terrance »

I like the roundness of the dogface. Have the other tank setup just in case something happens with the tankmates.
Kind regards,
Terrance
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

"Getting rid" of fish, just means getting them out of that particular tank. No one here means them any harm. ;)
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Anothernewb
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP-55G
Dog Faced-75G
S&S-55G (untill next month when I get my 300G)
Location (country): USA, Oklahoma

Post by Anothernewb »

Dog face for sure, my black clown takes the food out of my dogfaces mouth. He just doesn't care. He is 6 inches long already and still doesn't show aggression.

kv2wr1
Puffer Fry

Post by kv2wr1 »

Thanks for the replies. The clowns themselves don't really go looking for trouble and will keep to themselves even during feeding time. It's only when they are spawning and the other fish come to eat the eggs do they get aggressive. They have never stolen food or started trouble on their own. The clowns are the ones that would finish what the other fish start if the eggs are getting eaten. Sorry, I forgot mention that.
kv2wr1
Puffer Fry

Post by kv2wr1 »

Anothernewb wrote:Dog face for sure, my black clown takes the food out of my dogfaces mouth. He just doesn't care. He is 6 inches long already and still doesn't show aggression.

Beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing.
Anothernewb
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: GSP-55G
Dog Faced-75G
S&S-55G (untill next month when I get my 300G)
Location (country): USA, Oklahoma

Post by Anothernewb »

I think you would be good with a dogface, they are so cute. Just scream hug me lol. Thank you. Tank is dirty though....... Had back surgery and have hard time cleaning.