F8 in the family!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Ekiel
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

F8 in the family!

Post by Ekiel »

Chuckles just arrived at the LFS today! He's about an inch long, utterly adorable, and currently surfing the glass of its new tank.

I didn't quite realize how fast the little guy's tummy would swell up, though. I stabbed a bit of mussel with a bamboo skewer to get his appetite going for a snail, and he fought me tooth and nail for it. By the time I manged to unlatch him from it and get it out of the tank, he'd developed a lumpy little paunch. Of course, to add insult to injury, he dipped down and gobbled up the bloodworm I'd dropped in there earlier for the same reason. Just out of curiosity, how quickly should I expect that belly to disappear? I understand that they're often infected with IP's, and want to catch any warning signs.

Pictures!

The tank:

Chuckles:

Chuckles' unfortunately blurry pattern:
Testing for ammonia is nerve-wracking when you have lime green walls.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: F8 in the family!

Post by bertie 83 »

Of the belly looks pinched by next mealtime it's ip's, look out for white stringy poo
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Ekiel
Puffer Fry

Post by Ekiel »

Nope, not pinched at all. I was worried for nothing. :P

It's strange, I keep reading things about a lot of puffers getting nervous when the lights are on, but this guy freaks out when the lights go OFF.
Tim
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): Sweden

Post by Tim »

Ekiel wrote:Nope, not pinched at all. I was worried for nothing. :P

It's strange, I keep reading things about a lot of puffers getting nervous when the lights are on, but this guy freaks out when the lights go OFF.
My GSP was straight down scared in the dark :?. To the point of having jumped out a few times. Perhaps you could add a moonlight lamp.
*A wild water plant appears, Pig the Green Spotted Puffer is intimidated*
LongGrain
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Green bay, WI, U.S.

Post by LongGrain »

my lion seems to also not like total darkness. 99% of the time I have actinic blue moonlights on at night, but the 2 times I have shut the lights off completely, it lasted about 30 seconds before I heard him thud against the hood of the tank a few times. No idea why darkness would make him want to jump, but it sure does.
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

Chuckles is a cutie! And what a lovely tank he has to live in -- you created a wonderful set-up for him there. Lucky little F8! I look forward to seeing more pictures of him.
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
Ekiel
Puffer Fry

Post by Ekiel »

Thank you, Pufftastic! More pictures will come when he learns to stay still. :)

He freaked out again tonight, so moon lights are probably a good idea. Does anyone know of some premade, preferably dim ones that might work? The tank's in my room, and I get bothered by most light when I'm trying to sleep. I'm also not really a DIY kind of guy, especially when it involves water and electricity.