Fahaka Help

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
mark421
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England, York

Fahaka Help

Post by mark421 »

Hi, I have been reading this forum for a while but just signed up today.

I bought my fahaka in feb this year. He was about a 35mm when i bought him and he is about 130mm now. Below are the conditions he is in.

Tank size 300L (cycled properly before he came in)

Tank mates 3 polkadot loaches, 3 odessa barbs and 1 chinese algae eater (which are been removed soon)

Ph 7.4

Nitrite 0

Amonia 0

Nitrates 10

Filter sun sun external 1400l per hour

The tank is well decorated weith bog wood and plants

I am going to transfer him to a well cycled 6x2x2 shortley and he will be on his own

I have been feeding him most days with the odd starve day. I try feed him enough until he is still active when he is has eaten but a nice bulge in his stomach.

He eats a mix of food including frozen muscle, frozen king prawns, earth worms from garden, blood worm(he cant really be bothered with that any more) and occasionally Krill.

have a fine gravel for substrate.

50%-60% water changes every week.

i dont have a spray bar on my outlet of my filter i just have a pipe coming into the water so there isnt much air into the water. Do you think i should lower the water level so there is air bubbles?)

I have noticed over the last couple of days that he has his mouth wide open (he normally swims with his mouth open but not this wide). I probably over fed him slightly and it is after that i noticed it.

Please can you give me some advice?
Thanks for reading!
mark421
Puffer Fry

Re: Fahaka Help

Post by mark421 »

He also seems to be panting a fair bit.
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

this should be moved to the hospital. I know we're having a heat wave here, what is the temp and tank temp over there?

How is the surface movement of the water? You mentioned that you don't have the spray bar, are there at some ripples and constant movement at the surface for gas exchange?
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
mark421
Puffer Fry

Post by mark421 »

Ok thanks for your response. There wasn't much surface movement so I just dropped the water level. Do you think this could of been the problem. I only did a water change on Monday night.

Cheers
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

It is possible that the large meal increased his oxygen needs. Keep the water low until he seems better. After that you're probably fine to raise it. As far as I know as long as you have enough water movement and turnover there doesn't need to be surface agitation in a properly stocked tank. Surface agitation definitely helps but I don't believe it's necessary in most situations.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
mark421
Puffer Fry

Post by mark421 »

Ok thanks guys for your help and advice. Woke up this morning to find he is alot better! He seems fine.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Glad to hear it! How soon before the upgrade? You could add an air-bar, I bet he'd love to play in it.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
mark421
Puffer Fry

Post by mark421 »

Im not sure when i should move him to the 6x2x2 tank? at what size do you think i dont want to stunt his growth. I think i will put an air curtain/stone in there i thought about it before, i thought it wasnt a good idea as its a planted tank and i read that too much surface movement can push the cO2 out of the water.

thanks
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I wouldn't use one of the foam bubble wands, my fahaka tore mine to shreds, use an air stone they love the bubbles. I would move him straight to the 6 footer straight off
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
mark421
Puffer Fry

Post by mark421 »

ok cool i will try the airstone. Do you think he would benefit from the 6ft straight away? he is less than 5" at the moment and he is in a 4ftx18"x2foot now. I dont mind moving him but the 6ft is fully stocked atm. (obviously i will remove the fish in there).

cheers
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

I think a lot of people often have the best intention of upgrading or moving their puffer into a larger tank. But often life just gets in the way, and stuff happens then the puffer doesn't get moved. I believe you when you say you will upgrade him shortly, but what sort of time line are you talking about? With a larger puffer like a Fahaka it is easier to stunt them.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
mark421
Puffer Fry

Post by mark421 »

I was thinking when he was about 8" so he will still have a foot turning room in his tank. I will move him when i need to i wont let anything get in the way of the health of him! Do you think he is at the stage now where the tank he is in is too small? i wanted a little more time to move him really as i have fish in the 6footer that need moving, but if it needs to be done i will do.

Is there anything i can do to the 6foot tanks water to make sure it is disease free before he add him. in there i have plecs, birchirs, snakeheads, rope fish, loaches and a black knife.

Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

No need at all to wait. They are from the Nile river--that's a BIG body of water! He'll love all the space.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
mark421
Puffer Fry

Post by mark421 »

I know putting him in 6footer won't do him any harm. But do you think he is ok in the 300l ATM?

Cheers
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

My opinion is that if you get his tank mates out of his tank immediately, then you could potentially leave him in there for a while I would still suggest it be under 6 months. Larger puffers have faster growing rates then their smaller versions, and its not only their turn ratio that matters. As they are more intelligent then the average fish they also need stimulation and to be able to keep their activity levels higher in order to grow. In larger tanks their is more flow rate for them to work their muscles against and also more room to explore. Its hard to give you a exact time for you to keep him in the 300l but less time would be preferred.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon