Previous Fugu Owners

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Previous Fugu Owners

Post by hadla »

lol i thought yall were talking about yunachin XD then i went back and read all the posts again
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

We were, somewhere in the thread.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Christie_ZXR
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Takifugu Ocellatus - "Mushroom"
Figure 8 Puffer - "Aleister"
Location (country): London, England

Post by Christie_ZXR »

Thanks guys. :)

PP, what conditions was your little guy in?

Sad to know about sushi! That was the first other fugu I encountered when I was researching them! Found a video of her on you tube being incredibly cute at feeding time :D

One thing I've heard, but which I've never seen backed up is that young fugu can't tolerate full marine, they have to be brought up over the course of a number of months, which is what I did with Mushroom just in case. So knowing that a fugu didn't cope in full marine straight away is helpful. I'd guess there must be some truth in it.

I'm really unsure as to whether to bring mushroom up to full marine or leave him where he is. He's been at 1.020 for some time now, and seems healthy. I'm really not sure whether that's a good salinity to keep him in long term or not. Knowing a few peoples puffs didn't make it and were in full marine makes me wonder if experimenting with keeping him at 1.020 is best for the time being.

Ah! Why did I pick such a complicated fish!! lol.
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Christie_ZXR wrote:One thing I've heard, but which I've never seen backed up is that young fugu can't tolerate full marine, they have to be brought up over the course of a number of months, which is what I did with Mushroom just in case. So knowing that a fugu didn't cope in full marine straight away is helpful. I'd guess there must be some truth in it.
I think the puffer of yunachin as well as sushi have been brought to marine instantly or quite quick. You may wish to quantify these times by forum posts. I don't think your theory is true, at the size they arrive in stores, they can also be found at the sea.

What is important with regard to marine water and temperature is that marine water holds much less oxygen as fresh or brackish. Warm water also holds much less oxygen than cold water. Takifugu ocellatus needs high oxygen, which in my opinion is why you can easily kill a Takifugu ocellatus in warm marine water. It's not the salinity itself, since they seem to prefer higher salinities in the long run. They just need high oxygen supply (strong surface movement of the water, skimmer).
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

PS: I think 1.020 is sufficient for long term care by the way.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Christie_ZXR
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Takifugu Ocellatus - "Mushroom"
Figure 8 Puffer - "Aleister"
Location (country): London, England

Post by Christie_ZXR »

Corvus wrote:at the size they arrive in stores, they can also be found at the sea.
What sort of size would you say that is out of curiosity? Mushroom had been in the store about 2 months when I got him, so I don't know how much growing he'd done. I've only noticed them for sale one other time, and I think they were smaller that mushroom, but I can't really remember to be honest. They're usually caught in the river quite young aren't they?

What do you reckon to the temperature? I've got him at 20 degrees since when I've tried dropping it before, I didn't like his reaction. He went all sluggish and funny on me. Most places seem to say 15-18 degrees, not sure how much difference that 2 degrees is making :?
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

18-22°C sounds very good. I would not let it drop below 18°C.

Yes, they are usually caught in lower rivers and estuaries at around 2.5-3.5 inches, sometimes larger, I guess they are on their travel to the sea, but you can also get them as bycatch in the sea.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:Missing. Well, probably dead too - but they couldn't find a body anywhere in the house.
this lol i didnt realize yall were talking about the puffer!
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR