So I REALLY want a figure eight puffer

Kick back & chat about whatever you feel like. Off topic discussion.
trever22
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): Usa

So I REALLY want a figure eight puffer

Post by trever22 »

I really want a figure eight puffer. I am 16 years old and I obviously still live at home with my parents. I have 10 gallon reef in my basement but I would LOVE to put a 15 gallon on my dresser and have a figure eight in it.

My mom claims she has a "phobia" of fish and hates pretty much anything to do with them. I had a really tough year this year because I suffer from depression and school was not my thing. I almost killed myself on a few occasions and getting the thoughts to do was was not uncommon atleast a few times a week.

I think that being entertained by my reef tank has REALLY helped my alot and I consider that one of the reasons why I am still here. I have a passion for fish tanks. I would just really love to set up a tank in my room because I know figure eights have alot of personality and dont deserve to be kept in a basement.

What can I do to make my mom say its ok to setting up a tank in my room. Before I had the 10 gallon I had a 5.5 gallon reef on my dressor then a 6 gallon and once I finnaly upgraded to a 10 gallon my mom said there is no way that is going in your room. That is way to much water, what if it spilled and stuff like that. I just think it would be fantastic to have it in my room instead of the basement.

So what do you guys think?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: So I REALLY want a figure eight puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

Has she seen a puffer's face? Show her a really cute pic of a porc puffer!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Pufferpunk wrote:Has she seen a puffer's face? Show her a really cute pic of a porc puffer!
Oh no! Just show a video! :D

WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Post by Pufftastic »

Tell your mom how different puffers are from "regular" fish, how interactive and personable they are. Show her pics, like the others said, or even drag her to a fish store if you can to see them firsthand. Tell her your puffer will be more than a fish -- it will be a friend. That might get her. ;)
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

I would recommend talking to your doctor about your depression and getting them to prescribe something about needing a pet. Then talk to your mom and just explain that there are a lot worse pets to own and that an aquarium isn't likely to spill, at all. Just tell her you will completely care for it (to the most of your abilities of course) and that you need some sort of companionship.

Most parents would be much happier with their child asking for a fish instead of a cat or dog. At least the fish doesn't have the potential to potty in the house or tear it up.

make sure you yourself can be dedicated to the fish (and if you can keep a 10 gallon reef going, I'm sure you can take care of a puffer) and then just sit down and have a reasonable talk with her. Try to avoid yelling, whining, or being rude cause that certainly won't help.

I can completely understand how you're feeling about school. I myself suffer from didaskaleinophobia (fear of school) and I have had to be homeschooled since 7th grade. Before we discovered I had the problem it was like going through the worst punishment possible. I suffered from panic attacks, sever stomach pain all the time, constant stress and anxiety and so much more. Even now, homeschooling is not easy for me because my brain still sees it as school and panics.

Don't give up on life though because after school and as you get older things really do start to get better. Plenty of people benefit from having companionship and I'm sure you could too, so just sit down and talk to your mom about it. Worst case scenario: you have to settle on another pet for now and get an F8 when you move out.

I wish you the best of luck and I am here if you ever need to talk to someone.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
trever22
Dwarf Puffer

Post by trever22 »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:I would recommend talking to your doctor about your depression and getting them to prescribe something about needing a pet. Then talk to your mom and just explain that there are a lot worse pets to own and that an aquarium isn't likely to spill, at all. Just tell her you will completely care for it (to the most of your abilities of course) and that you need some sort of companionship.

Most parents would be much happier with their child asking for a fish instead of a cat or dog. At least the fish doesn't have the potential to potty in the house or tear it up.

make sure you yourself can be dedicated to the fish (and if you can keep a 10 gallon reef going, I'm sure you can take care of a puffer) and then just sit down and have a reasonable talk with her. Try to avoid yelling, whining, or being rude cause that certainly won't help.

I can completely understand how you're feeling about school. I myself suffer from didaskaleinophobia (fear of school) and I have had to be homeschooled since 7th grade. Before we discovered I had the problem it was like going through the worst punishment possible. I suffered from panic attacks, sever stomach pain all the time, constant stress and anxiety and so much more. Even now, homeschooling is not easy for me because my brain still sees it as school and panics.

Don't give up on life though because after school and as you get older things really do start to get better. Plenty of people benefit from having companionship and I'm sure you could too, so just sit down and talk to your mom about it. Worst case scenario: you have to settle on another pet for now and get an F8 when you move out.

I wish you the best of luck and I am here if you ever need to talk to someone.

wow, thank you. That means alot. I do go to a therapist so I can mention something like I would like to set up another take or possibly even take down my reef to get a F8 tank. By the way you should add me on skype. My username is disturbedandmore

Thanks everyone
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)

Post by kcartwright856 »

I do not normally put this out there, but I have severe mental illnesses that I've suffered from since childhood. They've gotten worse in my adult life and I have now been disabled for several years. There is no substitution for the correct therapy and, if necessary, medications, but I can tell you that keeping fish has been an excellent addition to my life.

My fish need me. They depend on me to get up out of bed and care for them. Tending to the tank is a relaxing and therapeutic exercise for me. Because of the fish, I've even gone out by myself to drive for supplies in the city. Unheard of!

This has been one of my best years yet, and I attribute much of that to setting up my puffer tank. I even have another one in the planning stages, which will be even more important now that I've recently received some bad news regarding my health. Coincidentally, it will be a Figure-8!

Keeping fish has been an excellent medicine for me, and I think that it is just as excellent for others that have the passion.

Feel free to use some of my words when talking to your parents about this. And, just as NG mentioned, feel free to chat anytime.
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

Trever22

Keep this in mind, even IF for some reason your mother does not allow you to set up this tank do NOT look at it as a defeat or be depressed about it. Yes it will suck IF you are not able to get one right now but keep in mind that you are still VERY young and have plenty of time ahead of you to do one down the road. Right now I am Military (US NAVY) and there has been a lot of things that i have wanted to do but have not been able to because of my Military commitments. HOWEVER when I do get to do the things that I have wanted to go or get later on it really does make it that much sweeter!

I know everyone is telling you ways to possibly get a tank and suggestions. I wanted to give you a different outlook on IF for some reason you don't get it now there is ALWAYS plenty of time to get it later on and trust me when I say it just makes it that much sweeter. Look at it in if you had to wait you can do more reasearch, put more money aside and come up with some amazing ideas for the tank. I wanted to get back into aquariums for the past 5 years but havent been able to because of the military but now that I can I have the money set aside and time on my hands and it really does make it that much sweeter.

Stay strong bud, when you look back on the times that "suck" you will laugh about them later on. I know from experieance.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I was severely bullied in school & suffered from severe chronic depression & was a drug addict for 20 years. I agree--life DOES get better!

Since this really isn't specifically about pufferinfo, per se, I'm moving it to the Lounge.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

+1 to all above, see how it goes. If you can't have it right now start saving and planning the perfect f8 home, the more you save and research the easier it will be when you are allowed. You will get there, is it possible you could initially have it in your basement, everyone falls in love with puffers once they get to spend time with them. Her outlook may change. Be strong buddy
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
GSPicthus
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): NY

Post by GSPicthus »

I read your post before lunch and you have been on my mind the past few hours. I had a rough time in school to. I got picked on and bullied a lot, don't know how many times I got cornered. My parents divorced when I was in high school and my sister ran away from home. I felt really alone. I even had the same thoughts as you a few times.

I was only allowed a 10 gallon community tank until I got out of the house. Not because my parents didn't want me to have anything better they just couldn't afford it. I didn't realize it then but now I know my parents were poor. Now that I am older I have multiple tanks and have had as large as 125 gallon. High school seems like it takes for ever but in another 2 or 3 years the whole world is going to open up to you. So many new and wonderful things to experience. I really pray you don't harm yourself there are so many wonderful things in life that you would miss out on. I look back on high school now and it is just a blip in my memory.

Your mom may have her reasons and they may not make sense to you but it is only temporary. F8's aren't going anywhere. They will be around when you are able to have your own place with dozens of tanks. A quote I like is "There is peace in contentment" a 10 gallon reef is pretty cool.

If you don't mind I will be praying for you. My aunt committed to praying for me every day at 9am. It always made me feel good to know someone out there was praying for me.
trever22
Dwarf Puffer

Post by trever22 »

Wow thanks for all your kind words. it REALLY does mean ALOT. Thank you so much guys
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I used to get bullied too, I won't go into details, it soon stopped. Life as an adult is great, you will soon see. It's just a matter of time and you will be able to have as many tanks as you like. I took self defence classes at a young age, my daughter is 4 and kickboxing, would recommend it for anyone who needs a little guidance. Try it you will love it
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly