My first puffer!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.

My first puffer!

Postby socalsprinter on Sat May 12, 2012 9:13 pm

Been wanting a figure 8 for awhile and finally decided a few weeks ago to surprise my wife with one for mother's day(she adores puffers)! I picked her up today and my 3 year old named her Daisy. She is happily swimming around a 20 gallon tank with a SG of 1.06.


I managed to get her to hold still for a second to snap couple shots!


Image

Image
socalsprinter
Puffer Fry
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:29 am
Location (country): US

Re: My first puffer!

Postby Flutter on Sat May 12, 2012 11:39 pm

She's adorable :)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
User avatar
Flutter
Moderator
 
Posts: 2942
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:43 pm
TPF Gallery: Visit Gallery
Location (country): Canada

Re: My first puffer!

Postby sgtmyers88 on Sun May 13, 2012 2:52 am

Wow what a cutie!
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
User avatar
sgtmyers88
POTM Moderator
 
Posts: 1104
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Dwarf Puffers
Goldfish
Location (country): USA

Re: My first puffer!

Postby socalsprinter on Sun May 13, 2012 8:54 am

She is still doing great. Gave her a piece of krill and she was nearly doing back flips in the tank. She also promptly destroyed a snail in there.
socalsprinter
Puffer Fry
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:29 am
Location (country): US

Re: My first puffer!

Postby bertie 83 on Sun May 13, 2012 10:22 am

Try not to Feed too much krill, has been linked to lockjaw. Nice puffer
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
 
Posts: 4695
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: brighton , england
TPF Gallery: Visit Gallery
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp,
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: My first puffer!

Postby socalsprinter on Sun May 13, 2012 10:38 am

bertie 83 wrote:Try not to Feed too much krill, has been linked to lockjaw. Nice puffer


I had read about that they are ok on occasion though right? On the subject of feeding I know puffers beg constantly for food but how often should they be fed? Once a day? Bloodworms are ok for daily feeding right?
socalsprinter
Puffer Fry
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:29 am
Location (country): US

Re: My first puffer!

Postby El Scorpio on Sun May 13, 2012 11:22 am

I would avoid freeze dried krill entirely. Bloodworms are probably okay as a supplement, but really she needs something with a shell on it. Look for some frozen mysis shrimp at your LFS, she'll love it.

socalsprinter wrote:
bertie 83 wrote:Try not to Feed too much krill, has been linked to lockjaw. Nice puffer


I had read about that they are ok on occasion though right? On the subject of feeding I know puffers beg constantly for food but how often should they be fed? Once a day? Bloodworms are ok for daily feeding right?
User avatar
El Scorpio
Green Spotted Puffer
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:11 pm
TPF Gallery: Visit Gallery
Gender: Male
My Puffers: Tetraodon Nigroviridis
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Re: My first puffer!

Postby socalsprinter on Sun May 13, 2012 11:27 am

El Scorpio wrote:I would avoid freeze dried krill entirely. Bloodworms are probably okay as a supplement, but really she needs something with a shell on it. Look for some frozen mysis shrimp at your LFS, she'll love it.

socalsprinter wrote:
bertie 83 wrote:Try not to Feed too much krill, has been linked to lockjaw. Nice puffer


I had read about that they are ok on occasion though right? On the subject of feeding I know puffers beg constantly for food but how often should they be fed? Once a day? Bloodworms are ok for daily feeding right?


Thanks for the info. The krill was frozen.
socalsprinter
Puffer Fry
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:29 am
Location (country): US

Re: My first puffer!

Postby Pufferpunk on Sun May 13, 2012 11:28 am

Krill is fine to add to their variety. Just be sure to mix it up. I like FD plankton, too.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
User avatar
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
 
Posts: 26696
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 11:06 am
Location: Chicago
TPF Gallery: Visit Gallery
Gender: Female
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Chicago

Re: My first puffer!

Postby bertie 83 on Sun May 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Just feed until their tummy is slightly rounded.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
User avatar
bertie 83
Moderator
 
Posts: 4695
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: brighton , england
TPF Gallery: Visit Gallery
Gender: Male
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp,
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: My first puffer!

Postby Nuclear_Glitter on Sun May 13, 2012 12:20 pm

I recommend breeding snails. Ramshorn and pond are the best, but don't do it together.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Location: North Carolina, USA
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Re: My first puffer!

Postby socalsprinter on Wed May 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Just a quick update and a question. Daisy is still doing great and my wife and daughter are absolutely in love with her. I have never had a fish with soo much personality. She always greets us when we come home and loves to eat from my hand(well finger). From the advice the krill has been turned into a treat and mysis shrimp( and the occasional snail) is her current regular food but I am looking for other options to change it up a bit.

I do have one quick question is there any kind of clean up crew that will work in .08 brackish? Starting to get some brown algae and would love not to have to scrub it with a tooth brush. Maybe a larger snail?
socalsprinter
Puffer Fry
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:29 am
Location (country): US

Re: My first puffer!

Postby Nuclear_Glitter on Wed May 23, 2012 4:32 pm

You may want to consider lowering that salinity. Figure 8's do good at 1.005. It would be less expensive because you'd be using less salt. As far as the algae goes, you should try getting your parameters in perfect balance, because that may get rid of it. You could try some very large snails such as mystery snails, but be prepared for them to die. The problem with such large snails is they stick more of their foot out, so it's easier for the puffer to get a hold of it easier. It may live long enough to clean the tank up some though.

Also, I would recommend more snails in your puffers diet.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Location: North Carolina, USA
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Re: My first puffer!

Postby Pufftastic on Wed May 23, 2012 5:25 pm

A freshwater snail wouldn't be happy and might not survive long in brackish water. And I can't imagine my own F8 not hassling a snail non-stop, regardless of its size. The moment that snail peeks out of its shell, it's going to be nibbled.

There really aren't any good "cleaner-uppers" that are compatible with F8s, at least in terms of eating algae. Some people have had success keeping bumblebee gobies with their F8s, and the BBGs will usually eat stray food bits left behind by the much messier puffer, which can help you maintain good water quality (although they need to be fed their own food as well, of course). But none of the usual algae lovers (plecos, otos, etc.) would do well in brackish water.

Daisy is CUTE! She looks TINY.
Yo ho, yo ho, a puffer's life for me.
User avatar
Pufftastic
Green Spotted Puffer
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 2:02 pm
TPF Gallery: Visit Gallery
My Puffers: 1 x C travancoricus
Have also kept:
T biocellatus
Location (country): California USA

Re: My first puffer!

Postby Nuclear_Glitter on Wed May 23, 2012 5:41 pm

Pufftastic wrote:A freshwater snail wouldn't be happy and might not survive long in brackish water. And I can't imagine my own F8 not hassling a snail non-stop, regardless of its size. The moment that snail peeks out of its shell, it's going to be nibbled.

There really aren't any good "cleaner-uppers" that are compatible with F8s, at least in terms of eating algae. Some people have had success keeping bumblebee gobies with their F8s, and the BBGs will usually eat stray food bits left behind by the much messier puffer, which can help you maintain good water quality (although they need to be fed their own food as well, of course). But none of the usual algae lovers (plecos, otos, etc.) would do well in brackish water.

Daisy is CUTE! She looks TINY.



Thank you for pointing out the fact a FW snail wouldn't do well in brackish! That totally flew right over my head.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 1:03 am
Location: North Carolina, USA
Gender: Female
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Next

Return to Brackish Puffers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests