Finally moved in!

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Finally moved in!

Post by Gooburz »

So let me say i'm finally happy i'm moved into my new APT. My 55 gal was traded in for a 40 gal breeder tank with stand and has been set up tonight. Tank is cloudy as hell due to sand and salt added, starting tank cycle now and hoping to add my 2 F8's within the next week. Happy to say my LFS is getting in some BBG's so i would like to add 1 maybe 2 of them to the tank for clean up crew. Does anyone know if any type of hermit crab would do well in brackish water?

FYI will be doing another 40 Gal (breeder) tank within the next month, full marine. Wife wants to do colorful fish, suggestions on what to stock the tank with?
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Re: Finally moved in!

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Congrats on moving! 40B are one of my favorite shapes ever because they offer such grand potential for decorating.

I don't know of any brackish hermits, but that doesn't mean there aren't any, I just don't happen to know of them. Definitely don't add anything to the tank before the cycle has finished, as I am sure you're already aware.

As for the saltwater tank the best advice I have is DO NOT rush, anything, and QT EVERYTHING! No exceptions.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I think BBGs are social and do better in groups of at least 3, if not more. I could be wrong, though, so you should probably look it up.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I would drop in a bottle of Safestart to the filter, before adding any fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Jeni, he's cycling. :P
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I realize that but he wants to add fish in a week.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Ohhh, so I see.

I AM A DUDETTE!

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Are you using established filter media to cycle?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

Yes i'm using an established filter for the cycle and i did put safestart in it already. Depending on how everything reads out i may wait longer than a week. There is no reason for me to rush it and the LFS has plenty of great looking puffers in stock so i know they are not going anywhere.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Make sure you feed the bacteria In the tank it can starve faster than you may think
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Just toss in some fish flakes to feed the bacteria.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Nuclear_Glitter wrote:Just toss in some fish flakes to feed the bacteria.
+1

Pellets and algae chips also are good for this. I use them as it seems to be more effective over just flakes alone.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

sgtmyers88 wrote:
Nuclear_Glitter wrote:Just toss in some fish flakes to feed the bacteria.
+1

Pellets and algae chips also are good for this. I use them as it seems to be more effective over just flakes alone.
Good point. I've also noticed flakes don't offer much when feeding bacteria. Shrimp pellets do good though.
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

I do have fish pellets and have added them, thank you for the advice on that.

Oh and back to doing the Marine tank, what would you guys suggest for stocking options for the 40gal breeder tank? i don't necessarly need a puffer in there just some nice colorful fish that won't kill each other. My LFS has just about everything in stock (about 100plus tanks for marine) and if they dont' have they can order/.
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Gooburz wrote:I do have fish pellets and have added them, thank you for the advice on that.

Oh and back to doing the Marine tank, what would you guys suggest for stocking options for the 40gal breeder tank? i don't necessarly need a puffer in there just some nice colorful fish that won't kill each other. My LFS has just about everything in stock (about 100plus tanks for marine) and if they dont' have they can order/.
If I was stocking a 40GB I would go with some CUC and 2 clownfish, of the same species.