Stocking a 20 gallon for DPs

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Alabama, U.S.

Stocking a 20 gallon for DPs

Post by Sun_Queen »

I'm planning on stocking a heavily planted 20 gallon (I was going to plant with java moss and java fern)

I was planning on having:
- 3 dps (all female or 2 female and 1 male)
- 4 otos
- ghost shrimp (I do know these will probably end up being eaten)

I have read up on the nitrogen cycle and have read a lot on their care but any extra tips would be very helpful!
I am mostly worrying about over-crowding- does this stock list look good? if not, what should I change?
Also, if anyone has any suggestions of where I can buy online AND specify gender (or any suggested places really) that would be really nice.

Thanks in advance
~Sun
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Re: Stocking a 20 gallon for DPs

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Is it a 20 long, or high? The stocking level should be fine, but as you said the ghost shrimp may be eaten. A lot of ottos die of starvation though so be sure they have enough to eat. What filter are you running?

Aquabid.com sells dwarf puffers a lot of the time. You could probably ask one of the sellers for a specific gender, most of them are easy to work with. If that doesn't work call petshops near you and ask do they sell any dwarf puffers.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

I think it's a twenty gallon tall? will it matter?

I don't have the tank yet (it's at my dad's house) but he should be bringing it over tomorrow, is there a filter you would recommend?

I have read about the ottos starving, but they will eat algae wafers correct?
Thanks
~Sun
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

No, I don't think if it's long or tall will matter, I was just curious. I would recommend an aquaclear 50 filter, and possibly even a secondary filter. With puffers you always want to over filter a tank because they're messy and create a lot of bioload. This is also why 50% weekly water changes are needed.

While you're doing your fishless cycle continue to research and ask many questions. Never do something you're unsure of, always ask first.

Yes, they should eat algae wafers. You can also feed them veggies like zucchini.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

Alright, I really wish I had the tank right NOW to start cycling but (and honestly, i haven't seen the tank in a long time and I need to see it to plan everything -dieing on the inside-)

Okay I'll have to pick up the filter when I go to the store Sunday, or I can order one...

that's a relief, I don't want to starve any fish!

If I get three females I think I should name them buttercup, blossom, and bubbles :D

Thank you for all your help you've really put some fears to rest!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Those are great names lol.

You can order the filters at Amazon.com Just type in Aquaclear 50, and if you want to get a secondary filter to help with everything you could get an Aquaclear 20. They work the best out of the freshwater HOB (hang on back) filters.

Have you managed to find a source of ammonia to cycle your tank with?

If you have any more concerns on questions feel free to ask =]
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

Yeah my friends think I'm insane, but they just don't get the cuteness!

Awesome, I might go for two just to be safe I'd rather over do it than under do it

I haven't but I'm not starting to cycle until after memorial day weekend

And no, actually I was going to ask where could I find it?
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

A lot of people get theres from Ace hardware store. You need pure ammonia. If you shake the bottle and it bubbles more than just normal oxygen, then it isn't pure.
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

alright, I'll need to go over there!
You've been really great, thanks for answering all my questions :)
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

It's no problem at all. =]
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

I actually have just a couple more questions...

For feeding I know they need a varied diet; do you think frozen bloodworms, occasional snails, and any of the ghost shrimp they decide look tasty? or is their something I'm missing?

Also, when I cycle the tank, do I put the plants in before cycling or wait until it's cycled?

I have so many questions, I just don't want to kill anything lol
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Questions are an excellent thing. It is much better to ask how to do something than to kill something, yes.

You wait until the cycle is over to add the plants, because they're sensitive to ammonia and nitrites, too.

Snails, bloodworms, and ghost shrimp are a good diet. With dwarf puffers you're lucky that they don't have the overgrown beak problems like most puffers, so you don't have to feed snails as often. However, it is great to set up a snail breeding tank that way you have a constant supply of them.

Another thing, buy some Jungle parasite fizz tabs. Almost all puffers come with internal parasites because they're wild caught and if a dwarf puffer has these they have to be treated quickly to live because they're so small. Once you get your dwarf puffers you will watch for a belly sinking in after having been fed a couple hours ago (tummies should stay rounded if healthy). If poop is white, stringy, or pearl-like then they have IPs (internal parasites). If your puffers have IPs (and even if just one dord, they must all be treated because they've been exposed) you soak their food in small bowl of tank water and 1/4 to 1/2 tab of the medicine. You will probably also need to add garlic to mixture because they are picky and often won't eat medicated food, but the garlic covers the smell.
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

okay, makes sense

I'm glad you brought up the IPs, I probably wouldn't have thought of that, I also have a 10 gallon aquarium for a quarantine so that should work out.

One more question (at least until I think of more...lol)
When stocking my tank with fish, should I put the ottos or DPs in first or does it not really matter?
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Yeah IPs are a HUGE problem and in dwarf puffers it can be very fatal since they're so small.

Once your aquarium is cycled I'd say add the ottos first, to try and avoid as many aggression problems as possible. The DPs may still end up seeing them as food in the long run, but it may be less likely if you add the ottos first, and rearrange the tank occasionally to keep everyone interested and try to help avoid as many aggression issues as you can.
Sun_Queen
Puffer Fry

Post by Sun_Queen »

:( I'll be sure not to let that happen

alright, I'm hoping they'll get along but I know they may not, we'll just have to see...

I looked on aquabid but they didn't have any DPs right now but hopefully by the time I actually need to order them they will :)