Decor for DP?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Re: Decor for DP?

Post by RTR »

IME, DPs love a jungle, from substrate to water surface, with a bit o swimming room along the front. A bit of Java Moss in the middle to upper reaches of the stem plants will be the usual spawning site in my tanks.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
tress29
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: DP named 13
Location (country): Indiana, USA

Post by tress29 »

I think I'm gonna end up getting some water wisteria from a friend on Fish Lore! My LFS doesn't have it, and none of the chain stores ever do!
Theresa in Indy
J-P
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Japan

Post by J-P »

tress29 wrote: Image
My head looks like that sometimes in the morning. That's when I know I need a shave ;)
if you follow me, you avoid stepping in the crap that I just did...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZR55G ... pqlgec1A2Q
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I look worse most mornings. I look like a Sean of the dead zombie, my wife would pick the poodle anyday lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

What made you decide on a 5 gallon over a 10 gallon anyway?
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
tress29
Puffer Fry

Post by tress29 »

I chose the 5 gallon mostly for the footprint. I knew where it needed to fit. I enjoy nano tanks and "centerpiece" fish. My twins have caught the fish bug and both bought tank kits with their birthday money. One has 4 gold dust mollies and the other bought himself a half moon double tail betta that cost $14!

Anyway, later this summer, I'll be moving my garter snakes out of the 75 gallon tank. We will then begin converting it to a FW community tank. We're discussing the pros and cons of a dirt planted tank. Our odd mollies/platies will move in, and my small school of CPDs. I'll probably triple the school from 8 to 25-30. The betta will upgrade from 3 to 5 gallons. The female betta will get the 3 gallon, etc. This all started because a request had been made (begging really) for a rainbow shark!

I've been thinking about moving the puffer to the 10, but don't know if the 5 will suffice for a QT tank...
Theresa in Indy
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Oooh, interesting.

The mollies may not survive. They require very, very hard water and most of the time people convert them to brackish because they can't create freshwater that's hard enough.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
tress29
Puffer Fry

Post by tress29 »

I'll study up on that. If nothing else, the mollies could take the 10 gallon.

Hey, I just found out I can get a free 10 gallon tank stand. Maybe now I can get this tank off my kitchen counter!?
Theresa in Indy
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

hahaha, maybe you can. It would have to be a solid top one and not a metal stand though, or else the tank wouldn't fit on it.
tress29
Puffer Fry

Post by tress29 »

The 10 is in the kitchen, 5 is in my BR. I sit on the bed w/ my tablet every night. Sometimes I crochet and watch Netflix. Mostly I browse the forums or read e-books. A lot of books!
Theresa in Indy
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer

Oh, okay, Awesome.
lmsmith
Puffer Fry

Post by lmsmith »

In your first pic you had round flat disks. Are they still in the tank? I was thinking maybe putting a couple of those in my tank might help keep feeding time a bit cleaner? What do you think?
tress29
Puffer Fry

Post by tress29 »

lmsmith wrote:In your first pic you had round flat disks. Are they still in the tank? I was thinking maybe putting a couple of those in my tank might help keep feeding time a bit cleaner? What do you think?
It was a clay saucer, like you put under a potted plant. I used to have it in my ADF tank. I moved it into the DP tank to help seed the tank (beneficial bacteria.) The saucer is now in the ramshorn snail tank. I sink pellets for them in the dish, makes it easier to tell if they've eaten.

If you have good flow in your tank, live/frozen food will get swirled around. I never could get the bloodworms to stay in the saucer, so I just feed 13 with tongs.
Theresa in Indy