How TPF taught me to be a good fishkeeper.

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Re: How TPF taught me to be a good fishkeeper.

Post by scpion »

FADE2BLACK_1973 wrote:
That was just well put. I know who im getting to write out my final words for my funeral.... :D
LoL!! Nah.. Plenty of clean fresh water is enough to keep most living things alive and kicking for a good long period of time!
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

I owe all my fish keeping knowledge to this forum. When I was a little kid I tried to raise fish but I didn't know anything about cycling (either did my dad) so I kept killing fish, it's so nice to keep fish for longer then a few months. My fish are healthy and bratty now cause of what I learned here. I got really lucky I ended up here instead of some other forum like mfk.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I agree with this thread. My GSP's would be long dead by now and would not look as beautiful as they are now!

I am very proud of my kids as you can tell! lol
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Some years back I gave up trying to save the world from "community" tanks and minimum water partials. Local "experts" can enjoy their "sufficiently" clean tanks. At least they get to buy new fish more often than I do. And they get a lot more experience treating diseases than I do.

Meow!!!
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

I'm glad you're still saving us from them :lol: I find I'm not even attracted to them anywhere. Perhaps a pairing of compatible fish that occupy different niches but not a smorgasbord of random fish. I try to help who I can but it doesn't go far given that the local 'experts' disagree.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

This site should receive an award for having the most dedicated fish owners.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Gooburz
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by Gooburz »

I'm thankful for this site, and i'll be happy my F8's will be in a new home soon and thanks to the experts on this forum I know so much more about these little guys and hope to get a 2nd or 3rd tank up and running.....permitting the wife lets me lol.

And thanks to the ideas and suggestions of several I have a great tank going for my snails and in the new place i'll be setting up a breeding tank for Cherry shrimp. If all goes well i can be self sufficient for feeding my puffers (minus treats from the local fish market for fresh stuff).
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

Yeah this is a great site that mainly focus on puffers. I have found that sites that focus on one type of species usually give the best advice for that species. Average fish sites and forums are not the best sites to give good advice on puffers. So you usually see PufferPunk in just about every last one of them tryin her best. And she is one reason alot of us end up here.

Back when I got my 1st puffer, which was a GSP back in 1990. There was not much info on them except for they was BW puffers or FW puffers some places would call them. Man, how this site really makes a difference.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I used to post advice to about 20 different forums, in addition to being on the WWM Crew but it was too much.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)

Post by kcartwright856 »

I try to help other places when I can about DPs, which is the only species I know everything about, but I just get told that I'm wrong. I don't have thick skin, so I just stopped.
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

FADE2BLACK_1973 wrote:Yeah this is a great site that mainly focus on puffers. I have found that sites that focus on one type of species usually give the best advice for that species. Average fish sites and forums are not the best sites to give good advice on puffers.
Most of what I meant about my original post was that the information on keeping puffers happy and healthy, which seems excessive to those not experienced with puffers, is how I feel that all fish should be treated.

Fish love and deserve fresh water, and as much of it as we can realistically give them. It keeps them happier and healthier, and that's what keeping aquariums should be about.
-KC

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

We are far from perfect here. But at least we do know that. We are all still learning. So long as we can keep that up, there is hope for the future.

I have learned that I cannot help everybody. I also have learned that fighting uphill battles on sites that want nothing but quick fixes is a waste of time and energy.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer

Once owned:
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish

RTR wrote:We are far from perfect here. But at least we do know that. We are all still learning. So long as we can keep that up, there is hope for the future.

I have learned that I cannot help everybody. I also have learned that fighting uphill battles on sites that want nothing but quick fixes is a waste of time and energy.

Well atleast people can get alot better answers to their questons and alot better advice here then from any other site for their puffers. That counts alot.
Chris,

kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/sh ... uffer-in-3

Can you guys help me out with this one if I promise to never, ever try to help anyone again?

I feel humiliated.
-KC

FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer

Once owned:
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish

I read it. I wont waste my time tryin to help anybody on MFK's anymore but I do go in there and read and might try to give advice. But when the wolves come rushin in, I rather be a lone wolf rather then join the pack. This site is MFK's sister site so that is not sayin much. Site's that everyone knows everything, well they think they do anyways. So IMO, just wasting your breath. Grow a thicker skin and you will survive in those aggresive sites....lol. I just dont like to argue as much as use to, so thats one reason I pretty much gave up on those sites..lol. But there are still a handfull of good people with pretty good knowledge left in there. BTW, MFK's do make really cool shirts though..
Chris,