MBU WITH IP'S?

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
GAR
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

MBU WITH IP'S?

Post by GAR »

Ok guys as alot of you know i ust lost alot of my fish including my beloved fAhakas,so im telling all this to my freind and he proceeds to tell me that he ordered a small mbu puffer from houston ,I'm like WOW didnt i tell u that ya need a serious tank for this fish and he's like yea ,so after a few minutes of me griping at him he decides i'm rite ,tells me to come over .So i get to his house there it is about 5-6" mbu and looks bad real skinny color kinda faded ,and then he says he hasnt ate .... anyway he had the mbu in a 40 gallon long with chiclids and told me to take it if i wanted and of course i did i brought him to my place put him in my 55 quarintine hospital tank along with 4 clown loach i put in a week ago ....Now heres the deal he wont eat i tried krill,shrimp soaked in garlic stuffed with garlic,and live ghost shrimp ,he wont touch anything and i saw a whitish stringy thing hanging from his anus and still is i pulled some with my tongs but it pulled in half other half still there .With all this being said i bought some jungle parasite clear fizz tabs and i've been reading u have to soak food in it but if he wont eat i dont know what to do nor am i sure its a ip maybe hes stressed from trip here then the trip to my place today and my buddy only got him tuesday so im here for help i just wanna get him well if i can then figure out where to place him maybe a pond i'm in the process of building idk maybe donate him somewhere but as of now i want to help him.
ph 7.2-7.5
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 10-15 ppm
temp 75-76
bare bottom 55 gallon hospital tank
I did a 20% wc today
The tank has been up for several months cycled with bio from my other filters and sponges
Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: MBU WITH IP'S?

Post by Pufferpunk »

At least get those clowns out of there, before you have to treat them for IP's too! In addition, the bacteria in the tank is only enough to support the bioload of the clowns, not the added puffer.

You can try treating the water but FW fish don't drink water, so none will get into the digestive system where the worms are. Try seeing if he'll eat live earthworms & then inject them with the meds.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
GAR
Puffer Fry

Post by GAR »

yea i moved them earlier to another tank but my filters should be enough bio for hm since hes not eating and causing a mess rite? I have 2 xp2 on there and a walmart hob . Ok i ll try some worms in the morning i'll have to go get some hey thanks for your response idk how you do it but you always helpin !Do you think it might just be stress ? I've turned out the light and now hes by himself maybe he'll eat just worries me my freind give me some krill that was shipped with the puffer and said thats what he had been eating ,and i've been reading here pretty much all day ,ran across that lock jaw thread i hope that isnt it but i will hand feed him if needed but for now gonna go with what you said i'll be back tomorrow let u know what happens with the worms or if any ghost shrimp are gone
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Some animals go into starvation mode & never eat again & then have to be force-fed.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

GAR
Puffer Fry

Post by GAR »

Pufferpunk wrote:Some animals go into starvation mode & never eat again & then have to be force-fed.
well lets keep our fingers crossed i dont think i can handle another puffer loss ..so i will do what ever is required to save him
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Well, it certainly won't be a loss at your hands, since you are trying your best to save a puffer you knew was in bad shape to begin with.

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I agree, you have taken on a sick fish and you are doing your best. Try soaking the food in garlic
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
GAR
Puffer Fry

Post by GAR »

sorry took so long to get back ....did a wc earlier today tried food in garlic and stuffed it in a shrimp but nada went to get worms but 2 spots were out ,so i left him be... did some some other stuff i had to do came back several hrs later and went to check the puff out and low and behold he was swimming i said yeaaaaaaaaaa then i went to sit and watch had a close look thought he had sand on him but nooooooooooooooooooooo it's ick wth ?
I was so sad i just couldnt understand why ? Boy am i glad i moved the clowns and there fine woo close one !
So my parameters are still the same so i turned up the heat a bit to 80-82 and added salt so i think i caught it in time ,thing is is he strong enough to survive i'm praying so.... I'll get back with his condition tomorrow sometime .
Thanks
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Ich is pretty normal for a stressed fish. Use the heat/salt method RTR laid out in this forum. Walmart sells worms in their sport fishing section.

GAR
Puffer Fry

Post by GAR »

ok here we are day 2 into ips and ick ....woke up today and mbu was swimming around looking good ,went to check my other tank with the clowns and bam they have ick i mean wow just wow i cant win but i went ahead with salt and heat before it spreads they seem to be fine as of 10 hrs later! now that im finally able to rest .I do have good news the mbu ate 1 piece of krill nice size piece i soaked it with shrimp blood worms crushed garlic and liquid garlic for about 30 min,this was soaked in bottle water decided not to use tank water ,anyways i stuffed bloodworms and garlic pieces in the krill with tweezers ,grabbed it with my long plastic tongs and put it rite in front of his mouth and he devoured it :D So im super excited maybe the garlic will help with his ip ?Where can i find the correct vitamins or vitamin water to soak food in?
Do you guys thank i should soak his food in some meds tomorrow to see if he eats it ?Or wait till i have him eating good ?He wont touch a shrimp tonight maybe tomorrow he will !
Thanks pp never even thought about fishing department at walmart for the worms !I'm there tomorrow to get some ,but i really want to soak some food in vitamins and meds if u guys thank so . Let me know !
Thanks a MILLION guys :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
almost forgot i've got the heat at 85-86 on the mbu and he looks good not gasping .
the other tank was at 75-76 so im slowly raising it im at about 80 shooting for 84-85 may need another heater its going kinda slow if so i'll add 1 in the morning
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Try the medicated food ASAP . Remember to garlic soak too. They love it
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Post by suvattii2012 »

Can you not dig up big earthworms and feed him them? They will help the fish loads if he will eat them.
Arrowhead
GAR
Puffer Fry

Post by GAR »

bertie 83 wrote:Try the medicated food ASAP . Remember to garlic soak too. They love it
ok i'm gonna try tonight he ate another krill in the morning!, but still has a few white spots on eyes ,fins and body but only a few not hundreds like at first .thanks for the garlic tip works like a champ
suvattii2012 wrote:Can you not dig up big earthworms and feed him them? They will help the fish loads if he will eat them.
i would if it ever quits raining lol :D but i got some at walmart but so far he hasnt ate one but i havent gave up on it he bit it but spit it out so next worms in garlic :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Treat all those affected with the salt/heat/large WC, for at least 14 days after the last spot is gone.

bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Feed him little and often if you have to, it's important he keeps his strength up