How To Keep River Shrimp Q's

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

How To Keep River Shrimp Q's

Post by Arny »

Hey Guys

I'm gona buy 600 Rivershrimp from a store online and they've said I need to keep them in cold water and the salinity should be 1.008 - 1.012 Brackish water made with RO water and marine salt.

They say I need a filter, can I use some of the media from my current mature FW external filter?

Or do I have to aclimitize the Bacteria/media from FW to BW? If so how long does this take?

Could I just add a say 3kg of LR or would it be to cold for the LR
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: How To Keep River Shrimp Q's

Post by bertie 83 »

Can I ask how much they are costing? Can't help with the care info I'm afraid
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

They do a few deals, the basic deal is Live River Shrimps (marine) £15.00 per Bag (approximate measured quantities 600 to 800 shrimps Depending on size) Courier Delivery £17.00 including poly box Total £ 32.00

Lets say there's 600 shrimp in a bag that works out at around 5p per shrimp

Here's the website
http://www.livefishfood.co.uk/
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

If I remember correctly, "river shrimp" is a common name in the UK for the shrimp that us Americans usually call "ghost shrimp."
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:If I remember correctly, "river shrimp" is a common name in the UK for the shrimp that us Americans usually call "ghost shrimp."
Yeah I'm sure that's right
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

In that case, you don't need to keep them in brackish water. Just slowly acclimate them to fresh water. You can also keep them at regular tropical temperatures.

Acclimatizing BW media to FW takes weeks. You should just use your FW media in FW - that'll be fine.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:In that case, you don't need to keep them in brackish water. Just slowly acclimate them to fresh water. You can also keep them at regular tropical temperatures.

Acclimatizing BW media to FW takes weeks. You should just use your FW media in FW - that'll be fine.
Cool thanks for that :D
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Post by suvattii2012 »

Thanks arny for that site.
Thats a crazy cheap price if there ghost shrimp and i hope they are. Could you let me know if they are ghost shrimps when they arrive and if they do ok in FW. I might set up a 30 gallon for my arrowhead and use the 25 for aload of shrimp.
Arrowhead
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

suvattii2012 wrote:Could you let me know if they are ghost shrimps
This isn't a great pic but it was on their website
RiverShrimp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suvattii2012
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Arrowhead / Suvattii
Location (country): UK

Post by suvattii2012 »

Arny wrote:
suvattii2012 wrote:Could you let me know if they are ghost shrimps
This isn't a great pic but it was on their website

Yeah i seen them pics they do look like ghost shrimp to me. Have you seen the daphnia ??? who would be crazy to buy some of them for the same price as the shrimp lol.
Arrowhead
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Ghost/river shrimp are indeed the same thing. As they are only feeders I just throw them in my tank and don't get any immediate death that isn't puffer related. I feed them well first obviously. I may invest in some too
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Oh, Arny - don't forget to quarantine, too! :)

I AM A DUDETTE!

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Ghost shrimp on the East Coast of the US can be any of four to six species, at least one of which is definitely not a host but a Macrobrachium shrimp. All we see are generally Gulf Costal shrimp and held in ponds FW to BW for the pet trade. Only a couple will breed at all in FW IME, and only one species is easy to breed. I cannot differentiate the four commonest species other than in fixed specimens with a taxonomist's help. The size of the eggs is however a very good hint. If the eggs are quite large and fewer in number, you have a chance of FW breeding the ones we get. The small-egg species ten to have planktonic fry and too demanding to hobby-breed (require the same as breeding as Amano Shrimp or other SW shrimp. It is possible but an expensive and time and tank-consuming process. For me it was easier to breed clownfish - which is a bad joke. Easy is not the right word at all.

The River shrimp in the UK are all but certain to be different species from what we see. I have no experience there.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:In that case, you don't need to keep them in brackish water. Just slowly acclimate them to fresh water. You can also keep them at regular tropical temperatures.

Hey LGP, I know you said I can aclimatize them to FW but was just thinking how I should do this. Should I put them in a bucket in the water they came in and then drip FW into the bucket until it's full and the empty some away and do the same again?

I'm getting 600 so I'm not sure if it would be easier to just put them in at 1.008. Would this kill the bacteria in my FW filter if I start using it on 1.008 water?

Thanks again :D
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Your filter will take it as long as salinity increased slowly. 0.002 p/w. Or drip acclimate as you have correctly suggested. Mine get tipped into a f/w holding tank for feeding up. I don't even bother acclimating but with that quantity I prob would