f8 puffer with bulging eyes

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Re: f8 puffer with bulging eyes

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

One tablespoon per five gallons seems like the most frequently recommended dose on WetWebMedia. Here's a helpful letter:
Hi,
<Hello, Ryan with you today.>
I'm desiring to add Epsom salt to my 20g quarantine tank for a royal Gramma with a somewhat bulging eye. As I surveyed the info in the FAQ archives, I've found varying dosage levels... I've seen WetWebMedia recommend:
-- 1 tsp per 5 gallons
-- 1 tbsp per 5 gallons
-- 1 tsp per gallon
Can you clarify for me an appropriate dosing level?
<I'd start with 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons, and give it 72 hours. If you don't start to see improvement, slowly increase the amount by adding a cup of RO/DI water with a teaspoon of dissolved Epsom salts. Just as with all our guidelines, you must use your personal knowledge of the marine life to be treated before starting a medication program. The fish you're treating is hardy, but it's better to be on the safe side. Good luck, Ryan>
Thanks,
John
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/epsomfaqs.htm
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

1 tbsp/5g
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
f8puffer
Puffer Fry
Location (country): united states

Post by f8puffer »

I can't thank you all enough for all the help and advise that you've given me! I feel like I've learned so much already from your responses and by reading the other posts... what a wonderful forum!!

I have a few more questions... This week I was putting Melafix in the 29gal tank and noticed a slight improvement to Quazimoto's eyes, but nothing major. Reading through other posts, I am pretty sure he has IPs as well. He has these tremor shakes periodically and I noticed a long string of poop (it looked like a clearish/whiteish string with tiny brown turds on it) attached to one of the log decorations in the tank. So, today I got a 10gal tank to quarantine him. I filled it with water from the 29gal and have only the biofilter in the filter itself, not the blue one with carbon. (I didn't know I had to do that for the Melafix to be more effective) I still need to do a water change to the QT tank, and was wondering if I should do a 25% or 50% change? And how often? The directions on the Melafix bottle say to administer for a week, then do a 25% change, and start the treatment again if needed. But I've read posts that advise daily changes when treating an illness, I'm just not sure which to do. And do I need a certain amount of time for the biofilter to collect bacteria for the QT tank before I do a water change?

So far, I have only given Melafix daily, but have some Jungle Parasite Clear fizz tabs that I found this morning and dissolved in the 29gal. I would like to try the epsom salt after I change the water in the QT tank to help with the popeye, and I am wondering if the three treatments are safe to administer all at once or if I should do them in a certain order. Also, I am confused about how to soak food in the the fizz tabs. The directions say to dissolve 1tab/10gals, but dissolving an entire tab into the frozen food seems excessive. Should I just dissolve the tab into the QT tank or is it better in food? I feed Quazi the frozen bloodworm concoction cubes (sorry, my husband threw away the box and we have no idea exactly what combo or brand is..) just a 1/4 of a cube a day. How much water would I use to dissolve the tabs in the food?

My water parameters are:
pH: 6.5
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: >20ppm

Quazi is in freshwater and I am still undecided whether to turn the water brackish or not.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

IPs can easily be treated in their display tank. No need to QT.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

f8puffer
Puffer Fry

Post by f8puffer »

Here is a pic of Quazimoto if that helps..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

IP medication needs to be administered internally, soak the food in a solution.
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Post by sevenyearnight »

If that were my fish, I'd consider those eyes more severe than what Melafix could handle and go with Maracyn and Maracyn 2.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Yeah, I agree with sevenyearnight. That's pretty severe.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

borgey
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 Tetraodon biocellatus, 3 Colomesus asellus, 4 Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Location (country): U.S.A

Post by borgey »

Wow, that is pretty bad. Poor little fella.

+1 for using the Maracyn and Maracyn2... I would make that top priority.

I'm sorry if you have already posted your water parameters but I do not think I've seen them. If you have not can you PLEASE post your ammonia,nitrite and nitrate readings? Good water quality is absolutely essential to his recovery in my opinion.
f8puffer
Puffer Fry

Post by f8puffer »

The water parameters are in the post just above Quazi's picture :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Quazi is in freshwater and I am still undecided whether to turn the water brackish or not.
This is a HUGE problem! Keeping these fish in FW will cause immune system problems = disease = early death. i think you are already seeing this happening.

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

If you go ahead and start taking the salinity up now, he'll probably heal faster due to the improved immune system and the antibacterial/anti-swelling effects of the salt.

I AM A DUDETTE!