29 gallons of DP goodness!

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)
Location (country): USA

29 gallons of DP goodness!

Post by kcartwright856 »

Moving my discussions to my tank log thread since this was all before I had the tank set up! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746

I have a 29 gallon that I'm getting ready for DPs. My goal is to have everything set up and cycled by this summer! I've been learning a lot about puffers over the past year, so I'm comfortable with basics, but I have a few questions.

What would be my ideal number of DPs for a 29 gallon? 5, maybe? Should I aim for one male and the rest of the inhabitants as female to cut down on aggression?

Also... is there such a thing as too much filtration? How many GPH should I be looking at when buying a filter? I'm looking at the AquaClear HOBs.

Thank you!
Last edited by kcartwright856 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Re: 29 gallons of DP goodness!

Post by JRC3 »

I have an Aquaclear 70 on my 29g DP tank and it's perfect.

When it comes to selecting males and females you probably won't have that option as the fish are so small and young at the store. I'm also having luck keeping kuhli loaches and a large mystery snail with them.
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

Makes sense! Your profile says that you have 3 DPs and 3 kuhli loaches in your 29? Is that about the maxium? I know that the kuhlis prefer groups, so assuming you have 3 of those, you can get 3 DPs then?
-KC

kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

And thank you for the AC 70 recommendation. It's going on my shopping list!

Is your tank planted? I'd love to get a nice jungle going in mine once I procure the pool filter sand.
-KC

JRC3
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: F8(55g)
F8 (46g)
4-DP(29g)
Location (country): U.S.

Post by JRC3 »

I want more kuhlis but I'm holding out for some striped ones. I also might pick up another DP or two If I find some older ones that I can tell the sex.

I've used pool filter sand and it's not bad I just didn't like how bright it was. I'm very slowly converting everything to black as it makes all the colors of the fish and decor more vivid. I tried a planted tank once and failed miserably.

Here's a thread with my decorated 29g. The pics are somewhere in the middle of the thread and please excuse my diatom outbreak. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=24753&st=0&sk=t&sd ... up#p267675
There are many knowledgeable fish keepers on this forum willing to help and give great advice...The advice is free; What you choose to do with it gives it value.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict

Post by Terrance »

Low light plants are ok with HOB filters.
High light plants will end up require canister filter for CO2 injections.

Lighting is very important as well.
Kind regards,
Terrance
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

Terrance: I'm definitely going with a HOB, not a canister. If I do go planted, I'll be trying some of the species that other DP owners have claimed to be easy to care for. Java fern/moss, anubias, water wisteria, etc. I do like the idea of being a little gardener for a few months while I wait for inhabitants. Something about live plants just feels better.

JRC3: Thanks for showing me that thread with the pictures! Are those all artificial plants? They look nice!

I can see what you mean about the pool filter sand, but I don't like the look of the black sand. http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/super_nat.html Would you say that the Torpedo Beach on this website looks darker than the pool filter sand? If it would improve the overall colors of the tank and the DPs' colors, it would be worth the extra cash in my eyes.
-KC

kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

Got into a bit of trouble this weekend when I used my husband's turkey frying pot to boil my driftwood, but what's done is done! Every piece but one sunk very nicely, but I think I actually like the look of the one floating one! If I can get some moss to attach to it, I think it will be lovely.

Speaking of moss... I bought an assortment of plants from the lovely LilGreenPuffer and I absolutely cannot wait to see them!

I should have my sand on Monday, so I'll be spending tomorrow doing some last-minute prep to make sure that the sand will be ready to rinse and go in. After that, I'll start arranging driftwood with the plants in mind and let things start to cycle while I wait for them!

I'm planning to get some ferts and try my hand one of the DIY CO2 methods so that I can (hopefully) get in a few months of good plant growth before I get my puffs.

Whew! Lots to do, but I'm very excited!
-KC

kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

The driftwood has been in the tank now for a solid week and is doing very well! Thanks to Lil Green Puffer, an assortment of her lovely plants is on its way to me as we speak.

I have my bag of pool filter sand, but haven't gotten around to getting the old substrate out of the tank (plus the UG filter beneath it). I'm dreading it.

Working out a small kink with my Amazon account, but my AquaClear 70 should be on its way soon!
-KC

kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

My plants from LGP arrived, and the AC filter is on its way! Spending the weekend getting that sand in and arranging the plants and driftwood.

After that's all done, I'm going to look for lighting upgrades before I invest in any fertilizers and such, based on what I'm reading. I just hope that my current lighting is enough to keep these lovely plants alive until I can find something better for them!

I'm also concerned that, since I don't have a lot of light right now, I'm not going to see any real growth before the spring/early summer, which is when I plan to get my puffers. If that's the case, then the only thing really breaking up the tank in terms of lines of sight and such will be the driftwood.

Should I get some artificial plants to fill in the gaps until my living plants fill the tank? I can't imagine that having any more than three DPs in a tank that isn't heavily planted yet is a good idea.

Any insights appreciated!
-KC

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

The light you have now is definitely enough to keep them alive - I sent you plants that all survive and grow slowly in very low light.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

So glad to hear that I'll be able to keep them at least alive... but.... I have GREAT news!

Remember when you told me about that light upgrade that you did with that old hood?

I found one! I should have it this weekend. It's for a smaller tank, but I have a cover that goes over the entire top of the hood, so it won't be unsightly.

It has two spots for bulbs, just like the one that you got. What should I be looking for when I go out to get two bulbs for it? Daylight CFLs?
-KC

kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
7 Pangio kuhlii

Post by kcartwright856 »

Oh, and I read through your light upgrade thread and the one on the planted tank forums that you linked from there. Good information!

RTR said something about linear or folded tubes for mid-sized tanks. Does that mean me? Are those available at Walmart?
-KC

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Woot woot!

I didn't see that shape when I bought mine at Kroger, but then again, I wasn't looking for them.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

For more attractive coloring, I'd get 1 daylight & 1 actinic bulb, otherwise it'll be too yellow.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"