new guy with questions on GSPs

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
aaronjhanson
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

new guy with questions on GSPs

Post by aaronjhanson »

Hello all,
I am new to brackish tanks. I currently have 2 freshwater set ups and my 6 year old wants a puffer. so I found some GSPs at the LFS and I have a few questions and I hope you can help.

1)20 gal tank with hang on back filters (aquaclear type with bio-media) I currently have the new filter on my well established 30 gallon tank to build up the good bacteria. was planning on setting up new tank and dropping filter onto the new tank. I have done this a few times with FW tanks and it worked great. Can I do this with this brackish tank?

2) I have a pea gravel substrait will that be ok?

3) the LFS has GSPs, however one of the fish in the tank has a black belly and one has the starting of a black belly, and the other 4 look normal. should I not buy any of the normal looking ones?

4) what is the correct salinity. found some figure 8 puffers at another store and the owner claims that he only added 2 tbl spoons of salt per 10 gal because that is how he get them from the supplier...

thanks
Aaron
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: new guy with questions on GSPs

Post by bertie 83 »

20 g is far too small, gsp are better in marine when adult, pea size is ok. The ones without black bellies should be ok. Salinity around 1.021
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

1. A 20gal tank is not large enough for one of these fish. You really need a 30gal tank but we recommend at least 55gal. These fish are active, intelligent, and grow pretty large. BW and FW tanks have different bacteria so moving a filter from one to the other is likely to kill them.

2. Gravel is not OK, you'll need aragonite substrate as these fish are high BW to marine.

4. Correct salinity is about 1.018 and up. Many keep them at marine conditions as it is cheaper in the long run and these fish live a long time. To measure salinity you'll need a refractometer or hydrometer, some marine salt, and a separate water container to allow your salt to dissolve prior to it going in the tank.

You might do well to find a dwarf puffer as they are small, FW, and don't live nearly as long. Since your kid is only 6 I imagine it is likely to become disinterested long before the fish dies. Plus they rarely have issues with their teeth.
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
aaronjhanson
Puffer Fry

Post by aaronjhanson »

Flutter wrote:1. A 20gal tank is not large enough for one of these fish. You really need a 30gal tank but we recommend at least 55gal. These fish are active, intelligent, and grow pretty large. BW and FW tanks have different bacteria so moving a filter from one to the other is likely to kill them.

2. Gravel is not OK, you'll need aragonite substrate as these fish are high BW to marine.

4. Correct salinity is about 1.018 and up. Many keep them at marine conditions as it is cheaper in the long run and these fish live a long time. To measure salinity you'll need a refractometer or hydrometer, some marine salt, and a separate water container to allow your salt to dissolve prior to it going in the tank.

You might do well to find a dwarf puffer as they are small, FW, and don't live nearly as long. Since your kid is only 6 I imagine it is likely to become disinterested long before the fish dies. Plus they rarely have issues with their teeth.

Okay, I can buy dwarf puffers, I seem to recall that they are fresh water right?
this will be my kids second tank, he has had one in his room for over a year. I take care of it, he likes to watch them.
So i am not opposed to dwarf puffers, the LFS has them in FW. Can I use pea gravel with them?
aaronjhanson
Puffer Fry

Post by aaronjhanson »

I just checked out the DP section, I think that is the way I will be going.. thanks
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Post by Flutter »

Yep, the gravel is fine for them :)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Good choice. Awesome little fish. Try to get all females if poss or just one male. Males have line down tummy.you could put four in a 20, but personally I would decorate heavily and stick with two or three. I love my little guys and gals so cool to watch. Massive personalities and lots of energy.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Puffer King
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Colomesus asellus
Lilly the Fahaka
Dwarf Puffers
Figure 8
Have kept in past,
Spotted congos
Red eye red tailed puffer
Location (country): Bristol , UK

Post by Puffer King »

1 male and a few females is best ......or all females is good ............don't get 2 males as they will fight , saying that the females can be just as cranky if they wish ! lol.......you'll regularly see them having little tit for tat scraps
'Rare do Tom agree in the rated room with the retard moo ! '
Free Elf Girl Pun 2012