Figure 8 VS green spotted puffer

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Duncan
Puffer Fry
Location (country): South Africa

Figure 8 VS green spotted puffer

Post by Duncan »

Hi guys, I can't chose! Okay so I have a fully cycled tank ready and waiting for my new puffer fish but I don't know which ones to get! These are my options- 2 figure 8 puffers or 1 green spotted puffer. Please do not give me info about brackish or salt water tank... I already know how to look after them but my question is which puffer is better to watch? Or which one is more intelligent and responsive? Please answer if you have experience with both of these puffers, I really need your help, thanks guys! :)
sevenyearnight

Re: Figure 8 VS green spotted puffer

Post by sevenyearnight »

How big is the tank?
I know green spotted puffers tend to pace sometimes in smaller tanks, and that is very *unenjoyable* to watch lol
Duncan
Puffer Fry

Post by Duncan »

30 gallons
fugu99
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Herbie (Figure 8)
Otto (Figure 8) *deceased
Henry the Figure Eighth (Figure 8)
Other: Luna (Panda Platy)
Io (Panda Platy)
Ganymede (Panda Platy)
Ocelot (Albino Pleco)
Aramis (juvenile Red Wag Platy)
Location (country): United States

Post by fugu99 »

My two F8s pace a lot in our 30 Gal., so I imagine even a singleton GSP would do the same. Another question is do you intend to have other fish? If you have F8s its feasible, mine dont even nip fins (although I dont keep long-tailed or slow fish) and from what Ive read GSP are aggressive and will nip or eat other fish. Thats just one preference choice you may consider. I find my F8s to be very enjoyable to watch, they are very active (and even like to spend time together) and are very curious and amusing. They spend a lot of time exploring and acting very goofy, unlike some puffers Ive heard of that just lie around all day. They will also recognize their food dispenser/paraphernalia (I use a syringe for bloodworms) when its feeding time and will beg at the glass.
"It is never easy, sweet child, to have a real gift: something else is withheld to compensate."
sevenyearnight

Post by sevenyearnight »

Well, that's a tough choice!
I had a figure 8 about 10 years ago, and was planning to get one this time, but the store only had GSP's. Each puffer can be so unique, it's hard to say. They are both awesome.
I'd go with a figure 8 personally though. I love the patterns on them, and you can keep some plants at low brackish, (I really like plants) and I believe they do a bit better with tank mates like bumble bee gobies.
Less chance of that pacing behavior too, since figure 8's are much smaller, that size tank is more appropriate.
I'm in the process of moving my GSP to a 55 gallon, from the 29 he's in now. Huge PITA. :/
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

F8 as you'll save on Marine Salt
Duncan
Puffer Fry

Post by Duncan »

Hahaha, I think this could end up as a heated debate! Thanks for the help guys but WHAT ONE IS BETTER TO WATCH. ?!!!
fugu99
Figure 8 Puffer
Io (Panda Platy)
Ganymede (Panda Platy)
Ocelot (Albino Pleco)

Post by fugu99 »

Duncan wrote:Hahaha, I think this could end up as a heated debate! Thanks for the help guys but WHAT ONE IS BETTER TO WATCH. ?!!!
lol honestly I think youll find they are both great! I may not have gotten a GSP before but I will someday, they seem just as active and interesting as the F8s. We personally chose the F8s because of coloration, but I still think the GSPs are adorable too, that bright green and cute polka-dot pattern.
"It is never easy, sweet child, to have a real gift: something else is withheld to compensate."
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Post by Arny »

Duncan wrote:Hahaha, I think this could end up as a heated debate! Thanks for the help guys but WHAT ONE IS BETTER TO WATCH. ?!!!
Their behavour is very simular to watch. I think watching 2 F8's interacting is much more fun
fugu99
Figure 8 Puffer
Io (Panda Platy)
Ganymede (Panda Platy)
Ocelot (Albino Pleco)

Post by fugu99 »

Arny wrote:
Their behavour is very simular to watch. I think watching 2 F8's interacting is much more fun
I agree... my puffers play tag.
I.Puff.Too
Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by I.Puff.Too »

I vote for GSP'S. I've never had a F8, but I watch my GSP'S like some people watch TV, they are that entertaining. But, of course, the two F8's probably would be more entertaining since they can interact with eachother.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I agree--they are very personable but will eventually need a larger tank than 30g.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Duncan
Puffer Fry

Post by Duncan »

Figure 8 puffers it is! KEEN! Any practical advice when introducing these littles fellas?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fully cycled tank (read the cycling info in our Library). find out what salinjity they keep them in the ship you have them picked out at. If they day brackish, test it with your own hydrometer. You can cycle at that SG or at FW (most shops keep them in FW anyway) & then raise the SG slightly, weekly.

library/puffers-in-focus/fig8/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
FrogSplash
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fang Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by FrogSplash »

look for videos on youtube. ranging from feeding to feeding to seeing if they have ones with basic activity
Image Image Image