New Fahaka Owner - Advice Wanted

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
kingfisherfleshy
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

New Fahaka Owner - Advice Wanted

Post by kingfisherfleshy »

Alright, dirt confession.

I came on to post my own, similar thread. Heres the catch. Im not PLANNING on buying a fahaka, I supposedly already have.

Here is the deal. I drove three hours to trade in some fish at an LFS in Milwaukee. My boss wanted these fish gone, and some new fish into the lab. We need to keep as many different families of fish as possible, so adding a puffer was something new. I saw a cute little guy, but passed him off right away.

After doing three laps of the store, it was evident that we had, or were getting everything else that was in stock.

So I ended up bringing home a little inch long "fahaka"...Ill be the first to admit, his markings are somewhat ambiguous.

He was active in the store, and still is pretty active now, I have been putting in as many small FW snails as I can pick, there is a small rock cave, and I added about 5 pieces of rootwood today for him to hide in. (All covered in snails as well.)

I have tried some flake and pellets, but he turns his nose up at those. I should have read more, but figured that I would be fine...and I think I will. I just am interested in what you guys are feeding, and how you got them off snails.

I am a worrier when it comes to fish, as they are my babies, and my job. So...I will be paying attention to this thread, unless Pufferpunk thinks that I should start my own. Thanks guys! (And sorry for the partial thread jack)
3p Aquatics
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka / Nile Puffer!!

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yep FLESHY, please start a new one on this. I'm terrible at splitting threads too but maybe LGP will do it for us.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Flutter
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Canada

Re: New Fahaka Owner - Advice Wanted

Post by Flutter »

Flutter can split too :onfire:

Here are some pages that you can read. They should give you a good idea of where you can go from here :)
ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/T_Lineatus/
library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
library/puffer-care/alone-but-not-lonel ... fers-solo/

Best fishes :)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

LOL, sorry Flutter, you're a better woman than I.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka Puffer "tetraodon lineatus"

Post by geronimo69 »

kingfisherfleshy wrote:Alright, dirt confession.

I came on to post my own, similar thread. Heres the catch. Im not PLANNING on buying a fahaka, I supposedly already have.

Here is the deal. I drove three hours to trade in some fish at an LFS in Milwaukee. My boss wanted these fish gone, and some new fish into the lab. We need to keep as many different families of fish as possible, so adding a puffer was something new. I saw a cute little guy, but passed him off right away.

After doing three laps of the store, it was evident that we had, or were getting everything else that was in stock.

So I ended up bringing home a little inch long "fahaka"...Ill be the first to admit, his markings are somewhat ambiguous.

He was active in the store, and still is pretty active now, I have been putting in as many small FW snails as I can pick, there is a small rock cave, and I added about 5 pieces of rootwood today for him to hide in. (All covered in snails as well.)

I have tried some flake and pellets, but he turns his nose up at those. I should have read more, but figured that I would be fine...and I think I will. I just am interested in what you guys are feeding, and how you got them off snails.

I am a worrier when it comes to fish, as they are my babies, and my job. So...I will be paying attention to this thread, unless Pufferpunk thinks that I should start my own. Thanks guys! (And sorry for the partial thread jack)

Take your time. My Fahaka didn't eat for the first 2 1/2weeks. He now eats everything, even pellets.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
"Fish recognize a bad leader."
Conan O'Brien
kingfisherfleshy
Puffer Fry

I have seen him picking around the rocks ect...planning on setting him up with his own little light (as our lab doesnt light most tanks, the lights in the lab are on a timer however.) and adding some floating plants.

I have already read most of your guys info...havent read the importance of keeping him alone part.

He is so small I am just worried that if he doesnt eat soon, he will bite the dust. Im on my way into work now, and I will see if he takes some shrimp or earthworms. Thanks guys, pufferforum people are so friendly. :D
3p Aquatics
Flutter
Former Staff Member

Post by Flutter »

Live shrimp and earthworms are often impossible for a puffer to pass on ;)
It is absurd to talk of one animal being higher than another. We consider those, when the cerebral structure/intellectual faculties most developed, as highest. A bee doubtless would when the instincts were.
Charles Darwin
geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by geronimo69 »

Flutter wrote:Live shrimp and earthworms are often impossible for a puffer to pass on ;)

How come??

I feed mine earthworms/night crawlers/crays/snails and of course his staple, pellets.

I will discontinue worms, if they are detremental :(
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish."
Mark Twain
Conan O'Brien
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

LOL...Worms are good puffer food..

She meant that puffers are often unable to pass up the chance to eat a worm. Meaning they love them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

No one is saying that--just the opposite. Earthworms are an excellent source of nutrition & puffers love their wiggle!

Flutter
Former Staff Member

Post by Flutter »

Yes, that is what I meant. Puffers seem to LOVE them. I wish we could find live worms here. Live shrimp and especially earthworms are excellent foods to feed a picky or non-eating puffer :) They're almost always irresistible.
Charles Darwin
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I just ordered 500 of them for $40 shipped.

geronimo69
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by geronimo69 »

Flutter wrote:Yes, that is what I meant. Puffers seem to LOVE them. I wish we could find live worms here. Live shrimp and especially earthworms are excellent foods to feed a picky or non-eating puffer :) They're almost always irresistible.

Oops, sorry guys. That's what I thought.... Mine love nightcrawlers/earthworms and red wigglers. I have an endless supply of earthworms from my parents garden ( I don't have one at my house). I can usually get 60 of the "Canadian Nightcrawlers" at The Fishin Hole for about $13 CAD. I also keep a bin in my basement full of Red Wigglers. They're great for decomp as well as food source. My Sev and bichirs also love the worms (as a treat).

Thanks for clearing that up for me! :D
Mark Twain
Conan O'Brien
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

I want to raise my own worms but i dont think my apt complex would like it lol
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
kingfisherfleshy
Puffer Fry

Had an opportunity today to snag some ghost shrimp and didnt...that was stupid.

Oh well...gives me an excuse to take the 35 minute drive back to the fish store again soon.

I also bought some Tetracycline...I read that I should treat for parasites no matter what. Using medication on fish always sketches me out as I rarely have problems and feel that nutrition and h2o changes are the best remedy for everything. With the fish being so small...I worry that he might be less able to take the strain of medication...but if it is what you guys advise I will proceed with the process after christmas.

I havent tried the worms yet, but we will see in the near future. He was looking good the other day, and I hope there were still some snails for him to pick on. Ghost shrimp and worms soon after christmas however for sure.

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great!
3p Aquatics