HUGE Apology!

Look here for updates, announcements and the forum rules.
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

HUGE Apology!

Post by Pufferpunk »

I want to apologize to anyone I've ever given a hard time about how they keep fish. I just murdered a 10 year old black ghost knife (12"), 10 year old b/w synodontis, 20 year old elephantnose (2nd elephantnose is still hanging in there) & another 10 year old catfish. I was multi-tasking as always-- water changes, answering a Hotline, watching TV, eating & making RO water, all at once. I must have turned off the cold water after filling the RO bucket & thought it was on for the refill of my 125g tank (I usually drain about 75%). I saw the elephant noses on their side & realized I had filled 2/3 of the tank with only HOT water! I'M A MURDERER!!! It was absolutely horrible pulling out such large bodies... Everyone, please forgive me for ever giving you a hard time--I'm not one to talk.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
recombinantrider
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon nigroviridis (GSP)
Takifugu ocellatus (Fugu puffer)

Re: HUGE Apology!

Post by recombinantrider »

I'm sorry for your loss :( Accidents happen to the best of us, so don't beat yourself up.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

2nd elephant nose just died... :( Seems it was all the older, South American species. The most stressed out fish that did live was the Frontosa, who is also a SA species. He kept trying to jump out! Thank God Filbert is fine. He didn't seem to care it wasd 100 degrees in there.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Oh, NO!!!!! I'm so sorry! At least you've still got Filbert and the frontosa. That's awful, though. What a drag.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

The older yellow-finned chalcius & the huge pair of clown loaches survived too. Also the 12" goldspot pleco & large sailfin pleco.

Sponge bob
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): United States of America, North America

Post by Sponge bob »

Sorry about the losses.
groovitudedude
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1X Dwarf Puffer, 1X Auriglobus Silus

Post by groovitudedude »

Sorry PP, I'm sure we've all made bad mistakes.
Fire Eel!
Tiny Fish Forum
mrgreen
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 dwarf puffer: Squirt
2 figure 8s: Escalator & Elevator

Post by mrgreen »

((PP))

I can relate to the multi-tasking and making mistakes. I'm sorry for your loss.
"Puffs puff cuz they're puffs cuz they puff cuz they're puffs. - Nathan age 12
ladyonyx
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Spotted Sharpnose Puffer (Canthigaster solandri) and dwarf puffers (Carinotetraodon travancoricus).

Post by ladyonyx »

I'm so sorry to hear about your fish =(
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

Very sorry to hear that. But just because accidents/mistakes happen that does not mean you don't know how it is done right, and of course you can give proper advice to other people.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Folks have been trying to tell me that all day but I still feel very guilty. I can't imagine what they must have gone though. Does anyone know why it was only South American species that died? Filbert the fahaka didn't seem to care one bit--wasn't even panting.

Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

I would not interpret it as "only SA species" died, but rather as "the most temperature sensitive species died" and they happen to be from SA. SA has equally different river and lake biotopes as Africa and you will also find African species that would die under these circumstances and SA fish that would survive. Given someone had more sensitive Africans in his/her tank and some robust SA fish he would come to the opposite conclusion if he went through what you went through.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!

Post by Dadof4 »

Oh my! I feel terrible for you. A loss of this magnitude has got to be absolutely heart breaking. You are a fantastic fish keeper and a great teacher; this incident proves that even the great ones make the occasional mistake and that we're not all perfect, even though we strive to be.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

They were also the oldest fish, 10-20 years. All scaleless too, although the survivers are 2 8 year old cown loaches, a 6 year fahaka, 7 year frontosa & 4 year chalcius.

diverchic
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Parent to:
No puffers since moving to work on a boat but looking to get some again now I am back on land.
Location (country): London, UK

Post by diverchic »

PP I am sorry to hear about your loss. Please do not blame yourself, accidents happen. That does not mean that you're not able to give useful, knowledgeable advice... it just means that you are human.

Please do not beat yourself up over this mistake, you are a wonderful 'parent' to your fish and a great advocate for keeping them in the best manner for their health and happiness.

Hugs