April Fool's, get out your photo editing tools!

Look here for updates, announcements and the forum rules.
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Myaj
Tech Team
My Puffers: Bubba, turgidus
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

The Puffer Forum is pleased to announce our very first ever, April Fools Challenge! This contest is ONLY for graphically edited photos or drawings of puffers, the sillier, the funnier and the more mindblowing the better! Use your imagination, use your skills, use your own unique sense of style and humor!

How this is going to work.. the contest will start now, Feb 26th, 2009 and entries will be accepted until midnight Central time, Thursday March 19th, 2009. At that point, the staff of TPF will review the entries and choose the top 20, which will be voted on by the general membership from March 22 to March 28th. If there are less than 20 entries, obviously all will be voted on by the general membership.

The winner of our all new April Fool's Challenge will be honored two ways, their image will be displayed as our Forum Logo for the entire month of April, and their design will also be placed in The Puffer Store on a Tshirt!

Now on to the rules, there are always rules:
  • 1. No more than three (3) entries per forum member.

2. Entry MUST contain a puffer fish of some sort (real or imaginary) in the design.

3. Entries may be based off existing photographs or be created entirely from scratch (cartoons, etc), or a combination of both.

4. ALL content of the image, including subject(s) and background, must be owned by the entrant or used with permission from the owner of the content. If using content owned by another person with their permission, include their contact information and a note from them verifying they are giving you permission to use their image with your entry - respect copyright laws!

5. No offensive or inappropriate content allowed. Keep it PG-13. Any entries with drug use, sexual content, racism or other content deemed inappropriate by TPF staff will be eliminated.

6. While animated images will be accepted, please note that if the winner is an animation, only one "frame" of the animation will be able to be used on the TShirts in the store. For the logo, we may allow a single rotation of the animation, but this will be left to the discretion of the staff to decide. A site logo of an overly large file size will give some of our users trouble opening the page, which is understandably something we wish to avoid :)

7. File Requirements
    • a. accepted file types are .jpg, .gif and .png
      b. maximum (and recommended) dimensions of image are 10"x10" and 200dpi (we will obviously resize for the winning logo image)
      c. at this point, no limit on file size to allow animations, but keep in mind the above reference to how a winning animation would be displayed
      d. Entries may be edited and created in any software you choose. Photoshop, Paint, Illustrator, whatever you have to work with, do your worst ;). For those who do not currently own any photo editing software, Picasa and Gimp are free programs that many people use and love, download one and see what you can do :)
    8. By submitting an entry, entrants agree to allow their image, if judged as the winner of the competition, to be used as The Puffer Forum logo for the entire month of April and added to a shirt design available for purchase in The Puffer Store.

And on to... how to enter!!
  • Email your entry as an attachment to: thepufferforum@hotmail.com. Please use "April Fools Challenge" as the subject line. As the file sizes may be quite large, send only one file at a time please, with corresponding info.

Be sure to include your forum user name!

Include (via forwarding) any written permission from the owner of any image(s) you have included in your design that you do not have sole ownership of, as well as contact information for the owners of the image(s).

This is your chance to really let us see what you can do, and maybe even a glimpse into your silly, twisted mind, so go at it! Good luck to everyone!!
julianchan
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP Elevator.....Lord Vator to everyone else...

Re: April Fool's, get out your photo editing tools!

Post by julianchan »

Awlright! Sounds FUN!
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Ah Julianchan, thank you for posting... since your signature image is the very sort of thing we are looking forward to seeing!!! :D
recombinantrider
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon nigroviridis (GSP)
Takifugu ocellatus (Fugu puffer)

Post by recombinantrider »

Alright! It's a license to show everyone here how stupid I can be. Muah. ha. ha.
Nugget_Cupcake
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Nugget- My dogface puffer loves to show off his teeth and eat krill out of my hand.

Cupcake- My stars and stripes puffer (a type of dogface i believe. Is very shy but also loves to eat the krill out of my hand.

Post by Nugget_Cupcake »

time to put photoshop cs4 to work.
I AM A DUDE!
julianchan
Fahaka Puffer

Post by julianchan »

I am starting to get crackin with this project.....anyone else having a go at it?
recombinantrider
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon nigroviridis (GSP)
Takifugu ocellatus (Fugu puffer)

Post by recombinantrider »

Not yet! Finals week is coming, so I am planning on getting creative right before the March 19 deadline. My brain is rock solid right now from too much studying :(
Agnate
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: -

1 Abei Puffer [Monotrete Abei]
(Captain Abe)

Post by Agnate »

I have a few ideas, but I no longer have photoshop. :( I'll have to reinstall it sometime soon. ^_^
Did our staff successfully help you? The Puffer Forum is an incredible resource and is run completely on the donations of its viewers. Proceeds from the Puffer Forum store go towards future contests and keeping the site running. Donations may also be made via PayPal.

- Paul

40 gallon - Future home of Abei Puffer
28 gallon - 1 Abei Puffer (Captain Abe)
5 gallon - 1 Betta (Frederico)
julianchan
Fahaka Puffer

Post by julianchan »

Darn, I thought the copyright information would be an issue....I already have 2 shots ready that dont qualify now.....looks like I am going to have to go take more photos.....this is FUN!
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Julian, can you get permission from the person that took the photos to use them for the contest?
julianchan
Fahaka Puffer

Post by julianchan »

Doubt it...I can't find ownership, but it pushes me to try harder...which I enjoy....this is loads of fun!
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

Agnate wrote:I have a few ideas, but I no longer have photoshop. :( I'll have to reinstall it sometime soon. ^_^
Try GIMP, similar to Photoshop but free! You can download it from http://www.gimp.org/
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
Myaj
Tech Team
Paris, lined burrfish

Post by Myaj »

Thanks Dad, I'll add that up top. I knew there was another one.

Picassa is free, right?
julianchan
Fahaka Puffer

Post by julianchan »

Picassa is free, but its editing capabilities are very limited. It will do some of the basic stuff though.
yunachin
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x A. Meleagris (Golden)
2x Tetraodon nigroviridis
1x Tetraodon lineatus
1x A. hispidus
2x Takifugu Ocellatus
9x Tetraodon biocellatus
1x Canthigaster solandri
1x Diodon Holocanthus
2x A. nigropunctatus
1x Tetraodon miurus
1x Irrubesco
Location (country): USA

Post by yunachin »

I am totally getting in on this one.
E.Ridgeway