Best investment for your tank, IMHO: Refractometers

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
PetPirate
Gone Today, Here Tomorrow
My Puffers: 3x Tetraodon Nigroviridis in full marine

Best investment for your tank, IMHO: Refractometers

Post by PetPirate »

Still using a creaky old swing-arm box-type hydrometer? Or a delicate glass hydrometer that shatters at a moment's notice?

You know the score: Constant washes in vinegar to keep them working properly: fill to the top / line, poke with stick, water goes everywhere... hope for the best.

Here's me measuring the salinity of my GSP tank... 1.021. Or thereabouts, thanks to the helpfully blunt pointer (NOT). A bit on the low side for my liking, as my GSPs are in full saltwater.

Look at the mess!

There is a better way: Refractometers. These things are just as they sound -- they use a glass prism to refract light. The angle of refraction depends on the salinity of the sample.

Look through the eyepiece to see scales of salinity and specific gravity.

(it is much clearer than this in real life - very hard to get a shot of the scale!)

Let's test the GSP tank again. Very simple to use: Put a few drops on the glass, and close the cover:

Look through the eyepiece:

1.026 - 1.027! Perfect!

Compare the reading: 0.006 difference! that's a huge difference for any marine or brackish tank. Do you have a brackish tank where you are varying the salinity for F-8s or GSPs? Would you be shocked to know that your SG of 1.018 could really be 1.024? Or 1.012?

Now, refractometers, if not calibrated properly, can be as unreliable as hydrometers... but in general, if looked after properly, they are more accurate.... and, as you can see, they are much, much easier to use. IN addition, on auto-temperature compensation refractometers (which is what you're likely to find), temperature calibration is not an issue.

Looking for one more thing to buy for your tank? Look no longer! In my opinion, a refractometer is about the best investment you can make. Since I purchased this about a year ago, I have been much more confident about the salinity of my tanks, and I will never use a swing-arm hydrometer again. And it's a cheap investment, at well under $50.
Created a User Gallery yet? Go On!

Affordable Metal Halide Lamps: http://www.petpirates.com
YBeNormal
Former Staff Member

Post by YBeNormal »

$42.99 plus shipping here.
Last edited by YBeNormal on Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nice article! I think I paid around $35 on Ebay.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Raphael
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Raphael »

Are the electric ones accurate?
Whats the point of a signature?!
PetPirate

Post by PetPirate »

Electronic conductivity meters can be accurate, as long as you calibrate them regularly as they tend to drift. I believe they are also affected by alkalinity (?).

lisalisa

Post by lisalisa »

I swear by my refractometer. Best investment I've made by far. Swing arms can vary minute by minute, depending on temperature...no thanks!!
PetPirate

Post by PetPirate »

Boooooo to hydrometers!

RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Swing-arm boxes are quick and dirty, good for ballpark estimates. Upkeep and cleaning and wear are all issues there.

Refractometers are not carefree either, nor are conductivity meters. Both devices do usually specity care requirements (glossed over with swing-arms) and calibration requirements (completely ignored by swing-arms), so that is big plus for both, if they are followed.

Any measurement device is only as good as the technique used to operate it. Sloppy technique with any device gives sloppy (read as: inaccurate to worthless) results. GIGO.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Bred
Former Staff Member

Post by Bred »

I bought my refractometer (new) over ebay for $28. Calibration is totally easy and I'm impressed by the precision of these things. It would be nice to have a refractometer with a smaller range and larger gradations, but this will do!
Raphael
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Raphael »

Finally, I bought one online and recieved it today!
Raphael
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Raphael »

BTW, do you have to use distilled water to calibrate it or can I use deionized?
neilw_uk
Puffer Fry

Post by neilw_uk »

Someone just replied to my question about distilled water or deionized and deionized is fine apparently.
Raphael
Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Raphael »

This is an old post, I have sorted it out a while ago but thanks anyway.
Pyratt
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by Pyratt »

I've been using a swing-arm (instant ocean brand) for a while and recently bought a refractometer from DrsFosterandSmith. Anyway, after calibration, the two are giving me the exact same reading 1.016. I do always rinse my swing-arm hydrometer with tap before and after readings, /shrug.

I'll still be using my refractometer of course, but I just wanted to post my experience so people could make educated consumer decisions. Reading this and other threads made me go "OMG must buy refractometer NOW..."

-Pyratt Pete
lisalisa

Post by lisalisa »

I think they are important. Too many cases of false readings, and temp adjustments are a PITA.