Full marine for my GSP... The final frontier!

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
ByTheSea
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Brutus the GSP
Location (country): Canada

Full marine for my GSP... The final frontier!

Post by ByTheSea »

Hey all,

I found this forum a few months ago when my GSP was sick after being moved due to a huge flood in my city. I'm happy to say that he is happy and healthy again, and thanks to all your suggestions and help, I have improved his tank tremendously! He is now living in a 30g tank with a better light and sand instead of gravel.

I have upped his marine salt content to 0.020, but his tank is still set up the same as when he was freshwater... Two media filters and two power heads, weekly water changes (which are getting expensive!)

My question for you all is: how do I go about making the last step to full marine? There is a small refugium in the back of my tank I could use for live rock and to put a small skimmer I think... But I'm having a hard time understanding if I still need the filters or what order I should do things in. Thanks for your suggestions!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Full marine for my GSP... The final frontier!

Post by Pufferpunk »

How big is the tank? Rule of thumb is 1 1/2-2lbs live rock/g. You might want to cure the lR in a bucket, before adding to your tank, unless it's coming from a known, long-established reef tank. Then you'll need a couple of powerheads & a good HOB skimmer, like the Backpac.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ByTheSea
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Brutus the GSP
Location (country): Canada

Re: Full marine for my GSP... The final frontier!

Post by ByTheSea »

Okay! My tank is 30 gallons. I think the small refugium in the back is at least 5g big, but I could free up a lot of room by removing the media filters. I think a small skimmer could fit where one of the filters currently is. Is that the idea? Once I have live rock and a skimmer I ditch the media filters? The tank already has two power heads.

Also, how do you "cure" LR?