anemone anyone?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
sara421
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Massachusetts, USA

anemone anyone?

Post by sara421 »

We just got any anemone in one of our other tanks that will not act right. It sits up side down. We had the water tested three days ago by our friend who owns a fish store, levels were all regular, normal, fine. Tank is a bio cube 29 gallon. 2 clown fish in it & a pencil urchin. Its got vert good lights on top, a 6 bulb t5. Well established been up and running for 5 or 6 years. We brought the anemone home 2 days ago, a bubble tip, it filled up with water and did not plant it seemed like it wanted to drift ariund. Now here we are 2 days later and it still wont sit. We've tried a couple tricks to get it right side up but it doesn't look good when we do, mouth wide open and such. But it doesn't look dying either, I've seen dying before and it doesn't look dying to me. It does seem very bad in tge morning and seem to get better as the day goes on. I just don't know what is going on with it.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: anemone anyone?

Post by Pufferpunk »

What tricks have you tried? Is there too much flow for it to land? Try turning off the flow for an hour or 2, so it can attach itself.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sara421
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Massachusetts, USA

Post by sara421 »

We've tried digging a little whole in the sand bed and standing him up in it, we've tried putting him in a small cup in hops he would put his foot down but he did not. I'm sure there is not too much flow in the tank, we have no additional power heads or anything. I was concerned there was not enough flow. Unfortunately this morning when we went to scoop the anemone up from off of his face he started to fall to pieces, so we knew he was gone. We've never gad a problem with an anemone like this, I forgot to mention he looked as if he had a small bubble trapped in his foot too. We didn't get him from our regular fish guy, but another in the area that has a larger supply but seems to have a much lower survival rate for some reason, no matter what we do. Still though I'd like to thank you for your help, I'm enjoying the forum and everyone is so helpful :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

:(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Post by Dadof4 »

The small bubble looking pat on his foot was probably a tear from when he was removed from the rock in the sellers tank. I have a anemone and clown fish only tank with multiple nems and one thing I've learned setting it up is to request that they sell whatever it is attached to with it.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."