RO Versus Tap Water

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

RO Versus Tap Water

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Okay so what are the pros and cons with using RO and Tap Water?

I recently heard from a LFS that Tap Water is unhealthy for converting to aquarium saltwater and it is to blame for my SW tank having grey/purple hair algae and cloudy water? I had been using it for the majority of the time wayyy back when I first set up my old 55G and had my GSP's in brackish water.

I had simply treated the water the same as my FW tanks and mixed the proper marine salt accordingly.

As for adverse effects the only thing I ever noticed was that the PH ratings ranged from 8.4-8.9.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
FADE2BLACK_1973
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka (Tetraodon lineatus)

Once owned:
Congo (Tetraodon miurus) R.I.P
GSP's
Figure 8's
SAP
DP's
Stars and Stripes
Porcupine puffers
Yellow long horn Cowfish
Striped Burrfish
Location (country): United States of America

Re: RO Versus Tap Water

Post by FADE2BLACK_1973 »

RO water it filtered water. You can find RO units that you can install under you kitchen fauset at Wal-Mart for around $200 for the whole unit.
Chris,

He who knows best knows how little he knows - Thomas Jefferson
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

When it comes to using tap water in saltwater tanks it can cause some of the problems you mentioned and more. The reason for this is tap water has certain minerals, elements, and additives that RO water removes so you don't get a build up of these things.

So in the long run RO water is better for SW. You can generally find these units on Ebay for cheaper than their usual price.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

It really would depend on the quality and profile of your tap water and the type of tank you are operating.

If you are running a simple FO system and doing high volume partials, RO may be effectively wasted, or may leave you open to unwanted algae blooms.

If you are running FOwLR and a skimmer and perhaps a macroalgae refugium, the lower level of water partials may well fully justify the extra cost and time to do RO or perhaps even RODI.

If you are running a reef, RO is likely to be fully worthwhile. RODI may even be justified, depending on the profile of your water source.

RO = Reverse osmosis

RODI = Reverse osmosis followed by deionization.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Everything you need to know & great prices! Be sure to check out their videos.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"